New Pixelmator 3.0 FX brings OS X Mavericks support, new liquify tools

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
An update to popular image editing tool Pixelmator was released on Tuesday, with the new software bringing a host of fresh features like new Layer Styles, liquify tools and support for Apple's OS X Mavericks.

Pixelmator 3.0
Example of Pixelmator 3.0's new liquify tools.

Dubbed Pixelmator 3.0 FX, the latest update from the Pixelmator Team offers a number of in-app enhancements and additions, as well as full support for Apple's just-released OS X 10.9 Mavericks. This includes support for tags, multiple displays, App Nap and more.

Most prominent among the changes are new non-destructive Layer Styles, which can be accessed from the Styles Palette, includes options to choose stroke colors and styles for a selected layer, reflections, shadows and fill layers. Users can also save style presets for easy access.

Liquify Tools is a new feature that allows users to reshape or warp on-screen objects. With four tools to choose from, Bump, Pinch, Twirl and Warp, Pixelmator offers a few preset variations with which images can be skewed. For example, the Pinch tool was used to distort the daisy stamens into a heart.

Finally, a new image editing engine has been implemented to take advantage of the latest OS X advancements in OpenCL, Core Image, OpenGL and other assets. The Pixelmator Team claims "blistering fast" performance, with an overall increase that is up to 1.4 times faster than Pixelmator 2.2 on OS X 10.8.

Pixelmator 3.0 FX comes in at 35.9MB and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $29.99. The update is free for those who purchased a previous version of Pixelmator.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Nice. I know what I'll be downloading as soon as I get Mavericks installed.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Best bit in the article%u2026.

"Pixelmator 3.0 FX comes in at 35.9MB "
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Originally Posted by bryanzak View Post

All that delicious bloat…

• Reply 4 of 32

Apple should buy this company (to back it with more $ and dev resources) and start working on a major PS competitor. This app is already shaping up to be just that.

• Reply 5 of 32

It only took 15MB for me.

• Reply 6 of 32
    WOW!! check this Beautiful Leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png
  • Reply 7 of 32
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    It's a great app and wonderful update BUT they should hire an interaction designer. The little details are just wrong and unlike the app core you're still stuck with a zillion of floating windows, a blast from the past!
  • Reply 8 of 32

true..yeah that is a big negative in my book as well. I'm actually surprised they haven't fixed that floating window issue yet.

• Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

true..yeah that is a big negative in my book as well. I'm actually surprised they haven't fixed that floating window issue yet.

Leave it as is. I cannot stand the ALL-IN-ONE of Photoshop or GIMP, or any other Graphic Imaging Tool Suite.

• Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good catch. I was going to ask him what's the point of talking out his bum when you showed  PS.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Leave it as is. I cannot stand the ALL-IN-ONE of Photoshop or GIMP, or any other Graphic Imaging Tool Suite.

What!?  You're crazy! Floating windows are a pain! Too much clutter! But that's just my opinion.

• Reply 12 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanzak View Post

I think PS is at least 18 times more powerful than Pixelmator so the MB proportions are probably indicative of that. Since you are posting a year old info window I assume you do not have the latest version of PS, which indicates either you don't care about keeping your software up to date or the copy you have is pirated. The latest PS CS6 update was June 2013, yours is May 2012.

IMO it is a fantastic piece of software worth every penny, although Adobe's offshore billing and technical support is atrocious and I did have to cancel my credit card due to the recent security breech, but they gave me free credit monitoring for a year, which I don't really need since I have the same service from my bank. Aside from that, I think PS is unmatched and even if Apple were to buy Pixel it would not be able to unseat PS, at least not any time soon, if ever. Apple has not been able to unseat any professional software in the graphics industry. Bottom line is Pixelmator is consumer amateur offering while Photoshop will remain the most popular application of all time among professional graphic artists. Hate it all you like but it remains the best application of its kind with no challengers in sight.

• Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think PS is at least 18 times more powerful than Pixelmator so the MB proportions are probably indicative of that. Since you are posting a year old info window I assume you do not have the latest version of PS, which indicates either you don't care about keeping your software up to date or the copy you have is pirated. The latest PS CS6 update was June 2013, yours is May 2012.

IMO it is a fantastic piece of software worth every penny, although Adobe's offshore billing and technical support is atrocious and I did have to cancel my credit card due to the recent security breech, but they gave me free credit monitoring for a year, which I don't really need since I have the same service from my bank. Aside from that, I think PS is unmatched and even if Apple were to buy Pixel it would not be able to unseat PS, at least not any time soon, if ever. Apple has not been able to unseat any professional software in the graphics industry. Bottom line is Pixelmator is consumer amateur offering while Photoshop will remain the most popular application of all time among professional graphic artists. Hate it all you like but it remains the best application of its kind with no challengers in sight.

I won't argue PS's abilities, but it has had a 20+ yr head start in the pc graphics world. However, given what this app can do and for how small it is, says a good amount with its programming. Your other mention about Apple not unseating certain pro apps... I think Final Cut Pro is a good example of that. Granted they didn't invent it, but have been developing it since they bought the original piece of software. If memory serves.

• Reply 14 of 32
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Pixelmator is great. I keep forcing myself to using it instead of Photoshop a lot of times in order to get more used to it. And no kidding, that new engine is feeling blazing fast!

I still haven't gotten used to Apple's automatic saving, versioning and then the "duplicate" guidelines, all of what Pixelmator is strictly following though. I'm so used to the old school. I guess "Save" now means "Save Version", since regular saving is performed automatically. OK, got it.. won't ever moan about this again. I love the new automatic saving and versioning guidelines.. ;-)

• Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I won't argue PS's abilities, but it has had a 20+ yr head start in the pc graphics world. However, given what this app can do and for how small it is, says a good amount with its programming. Your other mention about Apple not unseating certain pro apps... I think Final Cut Pro is a good example of that. Granted they didn't invent it, but have been developing it since they bought the original piece of software. If memory serves.

In my original draft of the previous comment I did mention FCP but I then deleted the remarks, however, since you mentioned it I will express my views on that situation. I believe they almost attained the leadership role in the video editing industry but they never did unseat Avid in Hollywood and seriously dropped the ball with their over promise under deliver mismanagement of the FCPX launch so no, they never achieved the prominent position in that arena.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

In my original draft of the previous comment I did mention FCP but I then deleted the remarks, however, since you mentioned it I will express my views on that situation. I believe they almost attained the leadership role in the video editing industry but they never did unseat Avid in Hollywood and seriously dropped the ball with their over promise under deliver mismanagement of the FCPX launch so no, they never achieved the prominent position in that arena.

I can't quite agree with you. 

Having spent years working with multimedia companies, it was amazing to find how many were and are still using legacy systems. But then, realizing how much time and monies most of these companies had spent, and how much investment, particularly in training, it would take to upgrade, it was/is quite understandable. And as any with half a brain would see, the medium, i.e., from analog to digital,  meant that a entire new paradigm had to be implemented. For many who have basically spent their lives building their business, it is still the law of survival.

And of course, along comes Steve…

Today, virtually thousands of jobs are available for FCP editors. And with a software that is virtually free that can accomplish amazing results with significantly less hardware investment, the film editors of tomorrow will either be FCP'rs or the die-hard, old-schoolers' kids. The former will out-number the latter. Just like everything else in life.

• Reply 17 of 32

I think PS is at least 18 times more powerful than Pixelmator so the MB proportions are probably indicative of that.

So that’s one anecdotal vote for bloat in software… 

Since you are posting a year old info window I assume you do not have the latest version of PS, which indicates either you don't care about keeping your software up to date or the copy you have is pirated. The latest PS CS6 update was June 2013, yours is May 2012. 

Hilarious, by the way.

• Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

YES! Leave it as it is. I utterly despise the 'all in one' crap. 

• Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Today, virtually thousands of jobs are available for FCP editors. 

Perhaps not quite thousands. Around Los Angeles there are 27 FCP jobs, all for FCP 7

http://www.simplyhired.com/k-fcp-editor-l-los-angeles-ca-jobs.html ;

For Avid in Los Angeles: 1,685 jobs.

http://www.simplyhired.com/k-avid-editor-l-los-angeles-ca-jobs.html

It is likely different elsewhere but I used LA because it is the editing capital of the world.

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

I think PS is at least 18 times more powerful than Pixelmator so the MB proportions are probably indicative of that.

So that’s one anecdotal vote for bloat in software… 

Since you are posting a year old info window I assume you do not have the latest version of PS, which indicates either you don't care about keeping your software up to date or the copy you have is pirated. The latest PS CS6 update was June 2013, yours is May 2012. 

Hilarious, by the way.

Ok mister know-it-all PS expert - Which parts of Photoshop would you leave out or change in order to improve it? I'd be surprised if you even know how access half of the features in the app. If you actually knew anything about PS you would have patched yours since there were a number of bug fixes since May 2012.

So why don't you update your PS and post a new screen capture of the about box to prove it is not pirated?

Actually never mind. I see yours is a prerelease version so it most likely has an invalid serial number and has been hacked anyway.