Apple posts iPad Air design videos, new pencil ad

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2014
Apple has publicly posted three videos that were previously included in its iPad event yesterday, showing iPads at work around the world, the design process behind the new iPad Air, and its first TV commercial.

The first video (above) "Life on iPad" depicts users around the world interacting with Apple's mobile computer, using it in settings where a conventional Windows PC would make little sense.

The video provides convincing evidence supporting Apple's concept of what mobile computing is all about, and in particular that it doesn't involve a need for Microsoft's Office brand of productivity apps, nor a multiple-position kickstand, nor a rubbery keyboard, nor an HDTV-like orientation that allows it pass as a very convincing netbook.

A second video (above), "Introducing iPad Air," presents Apple's head designer Jonny Ive describing the new iPad Air and the years of work "required to design and engineer the primary technologies that would be necessary to make it."

Apple's third video posted today (above) is the first television spot for the new product, which appears to focus on a pencil. The spot is narrated by "Breaking Bad" star Bryan Cranston.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

The video provides convincing evidence supporting Apple's concept of what mobile computing is all about, and in particular that it doesn't involve a need for Microsoft's Office brand of productivity apps, nor a multiple-position kickstand, nor a rubbery keyboard, nor an HDTV-like orientation that allows it pass as a very convincing netbook.

But does it involve dancing around on the playground or in the board room?

• Reply 2 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The pencil is clever but a flat (if there is such a thing) feather would have been cute too and it would have been a metaphoric double entendre. I said that before I had my Gin & Tonic.:D

BTW I had no idea how f***g big those wind turbines were before i saw that ad. JEEEZ!

Always love hearing Jony and there really are a few people in the UK that talk like that.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Wonder why Apple did not got with the 802.11ac Wireless spec?

Would it be power consumption? ...or does MIMO negate any gains?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Strange, in the second video at around the 1:40 mark, the guy playing with the airplane CAD seems to have his watch on upside down.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Really like the "Pencil" ad. I miss Walter White and it's comforting to hear his voice again.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I love the way Jony's brow oscillates between surprised and determined/serious when he talks.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Glad they didn't post that ridiculously staged IPhone Release Day video. Ugh that was painful to watch. I've been in a line of people that camped out. They all looked like warmed over hell, not the fresh faced bright eyed and full of wonder bunch we were shown.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The Pencil spot was ingenious. Great job once again Apple. Steve Jobs R.I.P.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Strange, in the second video at around the 1:40 mark, the guy playing with the airplane CAD seems to have his watch on upside down.

How else is he supposed to show people the time?

• Reply 10 of 21
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Wonder why Apple did not got with the 802.11ac Wireless spec?

Would it be power consumption? ...or does MIMO negate any gains?

Are there any 802.11ac chips that in mobile devices that are power efficient enough for that size and power envelope? We're just now getting them for the MBPs so I would think another year and we should have them for the iPads, and hopefully the iPhones. Size-wise what can be in the iPad can usually be in the iPhone since the boards are about the same size, but for power efficiency it could force the iPhone (and iPod Touch) not to get it at the same time.

Really like the "Pencil" ad. I miss Walter White and it's comforting to hear his voice again.

Oh shit! I didn't even recognize his voice.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe his elbow is double jointed and likes to F with people. :D 

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The pencil is clever but a flat (if there is such a thing) feather would have been cute too and it would have been a metaphoric double entendre. I said that before I had my Gin & Tonic.image

BTW I had no idea how f***g big those wind turbines were before i saw that ad. JEEEZ!

Always love hearing Jony and there really are a few people in the UK that talk like that.

Gin and Tonic...got keep that malaria at bay! :)

I thought it was very clever too. I'm amazed at how much effort Apple puts into their ads. The amount of work to get all those tables and blackboards and other stuff to line up! I know, I know, PhotoShop, but still? :)

• Reply 13 of 21

Yay! The one with the pencil gave me goosebumps!! LOVE IT

• Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Glad they didn't post that ridiculously staged IPhone Release Day video. Ugh that was painful to watch. I've been in a line of people that camped out. They all looked like warmed over hell, not the fresh faced bright eyed and full of wonder bunch we were shown.

I'm a huge Apple fan...but I have to agree with you. The vids of people entering the store are a bit old. And I thought the bit in the keynote where Craig is showing Mavericks walking to a San Fran landmark was a bit ponderous. And they should not let Eddie Que be on stage. he looks a little too smarmy.

They should have Greg F. do the presentation with Barney Rubble (Phil)

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

The Pencil spot was ingenious. Great job once again Apple. Steve Jobs R.I.P.

Nice post, R! :)

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommentSF View Post

Yay! The one with the pencil gave me goosebumps!! LOVE IT

You know, same thing when I watched it during the Keynote. Reminiscent of iPad in manilla envelope....or was that the MBA?

Anyway, the pencil was better! :)

• Reply 17 of 21
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Wonder why Apple did not got with the 802.11ac Wireless spec? Would it be power consumption?

Both power and there aren’t any chips the proper size yet.

• Reply 18 of 21
    The pencil ad is the best Apple ad in a long time... Simple, beautiful, memorable... Well done!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

The first ad is a great rebuttal to the "a tablet with a keyboard and MS Office can't be productive" BS.  If writing memos that require all the crap features hidden in an idiotic "ribbon" interface is "being productive" then we can use less productivity.  Now pardon me while I scuba dive to my next surgical consult on the top of a windmill.

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

The pencil ad is the best Apple ad in a long time... Simple, beautiful, memorable... Well done!

Agree.