Claim forms go out to 'Apple Class Members' for iPad 3G unlimited data lawsuit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As part of a proposed settlement over AT&T's cancellation of unlimited iPad data plans, a batch of eligibility claim forms were sent out to the suit's class members, or consumers who purchased Apple's first-generation iPad with 3G cellular connectivity.

Claim Form

On Wednesday, the forms were distributed via email to customers who ordered a 3G-enabled iPad on or before June 7, 2010, and asks that Apple Class Members submit the provided personal claim number to be eligible to receive benefits from a joint settlement proposed by Apple and AT&T.

By submitting the claim form, class members will be affirming that the ability to switch in and out of AT&T's now defunct unlimited iPad data plan was a factor in their decision to purchase Apple's tablet.

In September, U.S. District Court Judge Ronald Whyte approved a settlement from both Apple and AT&T that proposed Apple will pay $40 to every U.S. resident who bought or ordered a first-gen iPad with cellular connectivity.

By settling, Apple and AT&T are avoiding costly court fees, and the notice points out that the terms are not an admission of guilt by either party.

The class action suit deals with AT&T's decision to do away with unlimited iPad plans first offered when the tablet debuted in 2010. As some customers may have purchased one or more iPads based on the promise of flexible data plans, the telecom's abrupt axing of the program warrants damages, the suit says.

Following the shutoff of unlimited iPad data, AT&T offered tiered plans capped at 2GB per month, but iPad owners can now go as high as 5GB per month. Those who signed up for unlimited data were allowed to keep their month-to-month plans under the condition that there be no break in payments. It is unknown how many of these "grandfathered" accounts remain active.

In addition to the $40 payout, eligible class members are also be entitled to a discount of $20 per month on AT&T's current 5GB tier offering, bringing the end cost down to $30 per month. If AT&T changes pricing, the $20 discount will applied to the new cost structure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Not sure why Apple'd be a party to this when it was AT&T that bent their customers over and screwed them, not Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 22

They advertised and sold the "unlimited data plans" but indeed AT&T as usual is the greedy liar in the story. Why anyone would do business with these despicable thieves is beyond me. T-Mobile will be offering free 200MB/month for its iPad data plan, an incredibly generous offer that's enough to cover anybody's light browsing and email. I'm so glad the FCC rejected AT&T's merger proposal. AT&T must die.

• Reply 3 of 22
    Free "advertising" for ambulance chasers? Really, AI..? This is a new low.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I see why Apple is involved/at fault...But truly, it's AT&T that screwed the customers and now Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 22

Yay! Hopefully mine comes in the mail tomorrow!

• Reply 6 of 22
    I see why Apple is involved/at fault...But truly, it's AT&T that screwed the customers and now Apple.
    How is Apple at fault?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I remember seeing that ugly-suit guy on stage with Steve and thinking I did not trust these guys ^^'
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Yay! Hopefully mine comes in the mail tomorrow!

Me too.  Thanks ai...

• Reply 9 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I haven't gotten the settlement email yet, but my wife and I purchased two iPads with wifi + 3G on April 30, 2010, the day they came out. We activated the unlimited data plan only to get dumped from it a few months later. Why? An automatic monthly renewal didn't go through when my authorized credit card had expired and I hadn't put into the account info the new expiration date for the replacement card. I fixed the information within minutes, but by then it was too late. I've always been pretty satisfied with AT&T except for occasional signal reception issues, but the episode struck me as rather shabby on their part. Currently we're using their Family Share plan with a 6GB monthly cap for two phones and three wireless devices. It's been great for navigation on long road trips with 4G and LTE data service on our newer generation iPads, including some surprising out of the way spots like Mackinac Island and the waters between it and the Michigan mainland.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I still have the unlimited plan, I got the email yesterday and I am not touching this. They will take my AT&T unlimited from my dead cold hands!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Not sure why Apple'd be a party to this when it was AT&T that bent their customers over and screwed them, not Apple.

I believe it’s known as the “deep pockets” theory. Apple has deeper pockets than AT&T so they were included in the class action. Show me the money!

• Reply 12 of 22
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I don't get it. Why is the class limited to buyers who never signed up for data service? That disqualifies me as I've used the service, stopped and now that option is taken away from me.

Update: I re-read the form and it does apply to me. Users qualify for $40 from Apple if they purchased before XX date, bought the 3G model, and say they bought 3G intending to use it. They get an additional benefit from ATT if they never signed up for ATT service. So I filed for the $40.

As a stockholder, I feel like ATT should be chipping in more. As an iPad owner, hey, i'll take the money.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Why is the class limited to buyers who never signed up for data service? That disqualifies me as I've used the service, stopped and now that option is taken away from me.

Because there’s nothing even potentially illegal about that. 

Also, as one who did use the service, you had the option of grandfathering it up to this very day. In this case, you made the decision to get rid of your unlimited, not AT&T.

• Reply 14 of 22
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because there’s nothing even potentially illegal about that. 

Also, as one who did use the service, you had the option of grandfathering it up to this very day. In this case, you made the decision to get rid of your unlimited, not AT&T.

Yes but the unlimited was advertised as a fixed cost for life with the ability to subscribe and unsubscribe as desired. Not a big deal though as I have two iPads (one Verizon and one ATT) and really only sign-up for the plan as needed and never really need unlimited anyway.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

the unlimited was advertised as a fixed cost for life

Where?

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where?

In Apple's keynote revealing the iPad

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-3g-service-plans-on-atandt-30-for-unlimited-data/

• Reply 17 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Apple allowed it to happen without protest.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    daven wrote: »
    Yes but the unlimited was advertised as a fixed cost for life with the ability to subscribe and unsubscribe as desired. Not a big deal though as I have two iPads (one Verizon and one ATT) and really only sign-up for the plan as needed and never really need unlimited anyway.

Well technically those that signed up initially still have it, but the offer was quickly pulled for any new customers. I figured that the offer would last at least a year.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

In Apple's keynote revealing the iPad

I don’t see “for life” there. If you have the plan, you can keep it as long as you pay for it. That’s as “for life” as anyone is obligated to be, and, when you take into consideration insurance, et. al., AT&T is being more generous with that than in many other things.

Neither Apple nor AT&T made claim as to “you will always and forever be able to get this plan, even in 2357.”

• Reply 20 of 22
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    Still have the plan and ATT has let me migrate it through three different iPads and even with LTE now. I'm surprised such a good thing has lasted this long, but maybe that's because the carriers in the US have managed to train me to accept morsels without complaint. The other plans I'm on (for an iPad mini, iPhone 5S, and home internet) are burning a hole right through any savings this unlimited plan afforded. :rolleyes: