After mixup, T-Mobile promises everyone gets 200MB of free iPad data

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In a tweet on Friday, T-Mobile CEO John Legere explained that an "executional mistake" caused some iPad Air buyers to see a $10 per month fee attached to their new tablets, contradicting the "uncarrier's" announced offer of 200MB of free data.

T-Mobile iPad

Without going into detail, Legere assured customers that the promised 200MB of data are indeed free to all comers, and said the issue would be rectified shortly.

Yes. Everyone gets the 200MB of free data. No exceptions. No strings attached.

-- John Legere (@JohnLegere)

According to reports, many of those seeing the added $10 monthly charge are existing T-Mobile cellphone subscribers, suggesting the issue lies with accounting methods not meant to be seen by customers.

Shortly after Apple announced the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display last week, T-Mobile announced plans to offer an unprecedented 200MB of free data for the tablets. Of the top four U.S. telecoms, T-Mobile is the only carrier to provide a free data tier, with AT&T charging $14.99 for a similar 250MB per month. Sprint also has a $15 plan, but offers substantially more data at 1GB.

At least one model of T-Mobile's cellular-capable iPads was the first to sell out, with the Online Apple Store showing 5 to 10 day shipping estimates for the largest 128GB space gray Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Good Evening. My name is "Spell Check." I am out for the evening.
  • Reply 2 of 30

• Reply 3 of 30
    Just to be clear, you get this with any new tablet they sell.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Is it only for those who bought tablets on t-mobile?
    Or can I get this free 200MB plan with my ATT version of iPad 3?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Oprah impressionist:  "YOU get 200MB, and YOU get 200 MB, and YOU get 200 MB..."

• Reply 6 of 30
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The "report" is wrong. I was never a T-Mobile customer and I was charged the $10 fee as well....
  • Reply 7 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

200MB, awesome! What is that, like a few webpages these days?

• Reply 8 of 30
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    slurpy wrote: »

Dude it is free! Further, I read my email and surf the web daily all month long and do not crack 200MB. Plus most people have a wi-fi connection at home, work, and places like coffee shops.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    slurpy wrote: »

I use my iPad on-the-road infrequently enough that it may be perfect for me without having to sign up every month I want to use it. On my iPhone I barely go about 300MB each month and I would say I'm a heavy iPhone user it's just that I'm very frequently in range of WiFi networks.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I applaud TMobile for this idea. Perfect for those who rarely need cellular but a few times a month and lets you hit up their towers if something important arises when you need it. I'm a fan of businesses with a "customer-first" mind set personally. I wish that att merger went thru and maybe that thinking woulda rubbed off on them.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    I applaud TMobile for this idea. Perfect for those who rarely need cellular but a few times a month and lets you hit up their towers if something important arises when you need it. I'm a fan of businesses with a "customer-first" mind set personally. I wish that att merger went thru and maybe that thinking woulda rubbed off on them.

As a T-Mobile customer, I am very happy the merger did not go through. AT&T wanted T-Mobile to stop this type of innovative thinking.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Suppose I bought an iPad via T-Mobile. I'm out somewhere that is out of T-Mobile's network, and I just have to get online. Can I subscribe to AT&T's mobile monthly plan for one month to get online through their network? (assuming I have a signal)

• Reply 13 of 30
    200 Mb... How generous of them, hahaha!! What can one do with 200Mb? It is nothing. It is worthless. To be usable in practice, 10Gb is a minimum.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Can someone answer this?

Is it 200mb free every month for the life of the device?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hspanhs wrote: »
    200 Mb... How generous of them, hahaha!! What can one do with 200Mb? It is nothing. It is worthless. To be usable in practice, 10Gb is a minimum.
    Pretty sure you're sitting a few Gs outside of the bell curve there dude.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Originally Posted by hspanhs View Post

I am fully and completely against the pathetic capping and throttling done by telecoms, but you’re totally wrong.

• Reply 17 of 30
    I don't understand you people. You make fun of t-mobile for 200 FREE MB per month, which NO ONE else is doing.

And to clarify t-mobile is giving away UNLIMITED data for FREE. The first 200 MB is LTE and then you are slowed down to 2G. If you want more than 200 MB LTE you simply need to buy a bigger package.

For anyone that thinks this is a poor plan, you need your head examined.

- sent from my iPad air on t-mobile. :-P
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Yes, 200 MB every month. You need to be an existing t-mobile customer with a data plan on your mobile phone plan.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    akqies wrote: »
    I use my iPad on-the-road infrequently enough that it may be perfect for me without having to sign up every month I want to use it. On my iPhone I barely go about 300MB each month and I would say I'm a heavy iPhone user it's just that I'm very frequently in range of WiFi networks.

I smash through 3 GB per month easily.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    larryinfl wrote: »
    Yes, 200 MB every month. You need to be an existing t-mobile customer with a data plan on your mobile phone plan.

That sucks. I was actually considering trading in my iPad 3 to Apple today to get an iPad Air on T-Mobile but if I also need to have a cellular phone plan with them it's just not going to happen.