Google Now for iOS updated with notifications, reminders, improved voice search

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday pushed an update to the Google Search app, bringing formerly Android-only features like handsfree "OK, Google" voice search to the iOS variant of the company's Google Now digital life assistant.

Notifications receive top billing in the update and add a welcome boost to Google Now's utility on Apple's platform. Rather than being forced to manually retrieve information, Google says users will be automatically notified with important, contextually-relevant updates about events and appointments.

Users can also take advantage of Google Now's Siri-like reminders functionality, though with a slightly more structured approach. Using what is functionally equivalent to dynamic saved searches, Google Now can remind users about events that are not necessarily scheduled based on a time or place, like new album releases from a favorite musician.

Handsfree support has been added via Google's now-familiar "OK, Google" voice prompt. The Google Search app constantly listens for the phrase when the app is open, and saying it will immediately initiate an interactive voice session.

Also included in the update are tweaks to the user interface, including a simplified homepage layout, as well as new information card types for boarding passes, tickets, car rental reservations, and local events. Additionally, users who have other Google apps on their iOS device can take advantage of a new single sign-on option.

The update bumps the version number to 3.1.0 and is available now as a free, 32.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Nice formatting bug in the main article. It displays correctly here in the forums, but not on the mobile site. Almost the entire article is a link.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'd rather see them re-enable push notification on free gmail accounts, but yeah, sure Google, remove useful features people were actually using.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I can see this being useful for Apple products that can't run Siri, like iPhone 4 and iPad 2 owners. Myself I will stick with Siri.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Just tried for fun the following questions on Google Now and Siri:

1. What is a distance between Mars and Jupiter?

2. How old is Vladimir Putin?

3. When did Benjamin Franklin die?

4. When was Leo Tolstoy born?

5. Solve equation x squared minus 4 equals 0.

G. Now was able to answer only the 3rd one while Siri answered them all (1-4 with voice answer and the last 5th one only visually)

• Reply 6 of 37
    Where's the ios 7 update google?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jason98 wrote: »
    G. Now was able to answer only the 3rd one while Siri answered them all (1-4 with voice answer and the last 5th one only visually)

You get what you pay for, though some Android users think free is better.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    And it STILL uses the deprecated ios6 keyboard. Amazingly sloppy.
  • Reply 9 of 37

Maybe it's my pronunciation (and there's little I can do to change that) but I still cannot get Siri to perform beyond very basic requests.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    cool. i will add this to the long list of google service and products i will never purchase or use.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What on earth are you talking about? I just tried all of these on Google Now and they were ALL answered aloud perfectly.

Google Now is twice as fast as Siri since it does the speech recognition in-app as opposed to sending it to servers. It's also decidedly more accurate, and the voice responses are dramatically more natural. To me, it's really the only killer Android feature. Having it on my iPhone 5S makes me quite happy.

Also, having my flight information automatically show up on the day of my flight is insanely useful. I would use Google Now just for that feature.

• Reply 12 of 37
    Maybe it's my pronunciation (and there's little I can do to change that) but I still cannot get Siri to perform beyond very basic requests.

apple and siri were featured prominently in this week's episode of the simpsons. pretty funny, that siri.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthW View Post

Who cares?

Considering that Google's apps are consistently rated high in best iOS apps and most downloaded lists, I'd venture to say that a lot of iPhone/iPad users care.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

#1-4, Google was able to answer all of these for me with a voice answer. 

#5, totally stumped it.  I didn't even get a visual answer.

Strange that you and I would get such wildly different results, then again I'm convinced that AI users (and their friends) have the worst luck on the planet when it comes to Google and their products/services.

• Reply 14 of 37
    pooch wrote: »
    apple and siri were featured prominently in this week's episode of the simpsons. pretty funny, that siri.

Doesn't The Simpsons call it "Mapple"?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

What on earth are you talking about? I just tried all of these on Google Now and they were ALL answered aloud perfectly.

Google Now is twice as fast as Siri since it does the speech recognition in-app as opposed to sending it to servers. It's also decidedly more accurate, and the voice responses are dramatically more natural. To me, it's really the only killer Android feature. Having it on my iPhone 5S makes me quite happy.

Also, having my flight information automatically show up on the day of my flight is insanely useful. I would use Google Now just for that feature.

Well, for the 1st question, I've got directions between places on East Coast (called Mars and Jupiter). BTW I live in California.

Google Now could not recognize Vladimir Putin and Leo Tolstoy every time I tried, needless to say it did not know what to do with the equation offering me web search results instead.

• Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You get what you pay for, though some Android users think free is better.

Isn't siri free?

• Reply 17 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

You get what advertisers pay for, though some Android users think free is better.

Fix that for you... which also explain why google could not answer the questions, advertisers are not interested in the answer...

• Reply 18 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'd rather see them re-enable push notification on free gmail accounts, but yeah, sure Google, remove useful features people were actually using.

Just like Apple's removal of Google services, Google is removing Microsoft services. The Gmail push was using Exchange. And also, let's not forget Apple is very well known for removing useful and popular features from their software, more so than any other company that I can think of.

• Reply 19 of 37
    Doesn't The Simpsons call it "Mapple"?

i believe so, when they're developing their competing products or what-not. in this episode, homer is regretting that he sold his apple stock in 2001. to buy a bowling ball. they specifically mention apple/apple stock five times and siri once.

• Reply 20 of 37

Weird. I tried the same questions and got answers for all but the algebra using Google Now.