New Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw release candidates fix bugs, add camera support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Friday announced release candidates for Lightroom 5.3 and Camera Raw 8.3, each bringing support for new digital cameras like the Nikon D610, Fujifilm X-E2 and Sony Alpha a7, as well as a substantial number of bug fixes.

CS6

Adobe points out that the release candidates have been tested, but are not yet ready to be pushed out automatically to all customers. The company is requesting additional community testing before wide distribution.

The release candidate for Adobe's Lightroom 5.3 photo import, management and tweaking tool addresses reported issues with the previous version, while expanding support for a host of new cameras.

Issues fixed in Lightroom 5.3:
  • Issues when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
  • Incorrect photos are displayed after switching away from a Publish Collection.
  • Catalog optimization did not finish, and was not optimizing the catalog
  • Feather of clone spots is set to 0 after upgrading catalog to Lightroom 5.
  • Auto White Balance settings are not saved to Snapshots.
  • Sony 18-55mm lens is detected as the Hasselblad 18-55mm lens for lens correction.
  • Increased Update Spot Removal history steps when in Before and After view.
  • Slideshows start playing automatically even when the Manual Slideshow option is enabled.
  • Video playback stops when dragging on the scrubber.
  • Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.
  • Option + drag on Edit Pin behavior is functioning incorrectly.
  • Black border appears around the exported slideshow video.
  • Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
  • Pressing the "Reset" button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
  • Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
  • The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
  • Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
  • Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo.
Lightroom 5.3 also comes with additional support for newly released digital cameras, which are also part of the Camera Raw 8.3 update.

The following cameras are now supported (preliminary support denoted with asterisk):
  • Canon PowerShot S120
  • Fujifilm XQ1
  • Fujifilm X-E2
  • Nikon 1 AW1
  • Nikon Coolpix P7800
  • Nikon D610
  • Nikon D5300 (*)
  • Olympus OM-D E-M1
  • Olympus STYLUS 1 (*)
  • Panasonic DMC-GM1
  • Phase One IQ260
  • Phase One IQ280
  • Sony A7 (ILCE-7)
  • Sony A7R (ILCE-7R)
  • Sony DSC-RX10 (*)
Users are urged to provide feedback on both release candidates via Adobe's Feedback Portal.

Lightroom 5.3 is available as a free download for Lightroom 5 users, while new customers can purchase the software for $149, or $79 for upgraders.

The Camera Raw 8.3 plug-in update is free, with versions for both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    How long before this turns into a anti-Aperture thread? Personally I love it, and the fact that they keep on adding little features and bug fixes to the same version 3...I think it's better this way than releasing a new version each year and charge for it.

I do think they'll release a total makeover version when the MP is released. Why? Because the current version allows for working with smaller previews where you can store those on SSD and have the large original (RAW) files on HDD. As the new MP only has SSD I think they'll change the config to better suite the current hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 3

This has nothing to do with Aperture, it's about minor fixes to Lightroom.  Aperture is not bad software.  The interface and workflow are great.  Much better than Lightroom's.  Lightroom is better in terms of photo tools and image quality.  And for someone that uses a docked laptop as their main computer, Smart Previews are game-changing.

• Reply 3 of 3
    therfman wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with Aperture, it's about minor fixes to Lightroom.  Aperture is not bad software.  The interface and workflow are great.  Much better than Lightroom's.  Lightroom is better in terms of photo tools and image quality.  And for someone that uses a docked laptop as their main computer, Smart Previews are game-changing.

No idea what you mean by 'better image quality'. I think the photographer is 'responsible' for the quality of an image, but since this is software I presume you mean to relate to some form of better image handling, better tools or, I don't know actually.

As for Smart Previews I thought they did something really smart so had to look it up. Turns out they have copied this feature from Aperture v1.5 (2006). Nice going Adobe.

Insert [turtle.jpg]