New architectural renderings reveal more details of Apple's future 'spaceship' campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More images of Apple's Campus 2 project have emerged from Cupertino, providing a closer look at the environment inside the main building and showing off some details that have not been seen before.

Apple Spaceship Campus

The Spaceship

The interior of the main building appears to take many of its styling cues from Apple retail stores, with light-colored stone lining the walls and glass railings that feature no visible metal supports. The three-level cafeteria --?with massive steel columns and floor-to-ceiling windows -- sports tables and benches like those used to display products in the retail spaces, while the outdoor dining area is outfitted with what appears to be cedar or redwood furniture. The images are provided by the City of Cupertino and were first collected by Wired.

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Transit Center & Infrastructure

The Corporate Transit Center, where employees who commute on Apple's private bus fleet will arrive and depart, is set on the first subterranean floor of the main building. The exterior features large, stark white staircases leading up to the ground floor and the interior is depicted with rows of benches for workers awaiting the next bus.

The most stunning addition to this set of renderings is the entrance to the underground road network, which is lit around the top edge and appears to have fully embraced the 'spaceship' spirit of the new facility.

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Outbuildings

Several outbuildings --?including a visitor center and the famous underground auditorium --?are shown with similar steel roofs which appear to float on 360-degree walls of glass. The corporate fitness center is also pictured, keeping the glass walls and stone interior of its siblings but eschewing the steel roof in favor of what appears to be wood or stone.

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Grounds

Steve Jobs's desire to "bring California back to Cupertino" appears to have been well understood by the architectural team. Rows of cherry trees can be seen in some images, while others show olive arbors and other native flora dotting large swaths of rolling grassland.

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Apple Spaceship Campus

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    It's an entire city, complete with infrastructure, highways, public transit stations, and even farm land. WTF!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

That looks just amazing.  It's going to be one of the most amazing places to work in the world.

Wow.

• Reply 3 of 25
    Makes the Facebook campus look like.. a Facebook campus.

Check mate Google!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Is this going to be a closed facility. Apple should think about opening up to the public in making a destination tourist attraction. I bet people would flock from around the world to see the Jobs Mecca. And in the center of this ring they could have a 40 foot statue of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I nitpick because I can - I hope they don't put large images of iPads in the transit zone or anywhere else for that matter. Advertising their own products to their own employees would just be lazy and a little off-putting. Sponsor some nice art instead.

• Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjduffy View Post

Is this going to be a closed facility. Apple should think about opening up to the public in making a destination tourist attraction. I bet people would flock from around the world to see the Jobs Mecca. And in the center of this ring they could have a 40 foot statue of Steve Jobs.

The article states there is going to be a visitor center 8-)

• Reply 7 of 25
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    paxman wrote: »
    I nitpick because I can - I hope they don't put large images of iPads in the transit zone or anywhere else for that matter. Advertising their own products to their own employees would just be lazy and a little off-putting. Sponsor some nice art instead.

They could put up images of their competitors products as a good laugh for the employees.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Nice.
    I hope my now 2 y.o. child will work there!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Nice.

I hope my now 2 y.o. child will work there!

Next year s/he can get a job assembling Apple products in China; small hands are a real asset.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

There are some weird outbuildings in some of those pictures.  What's the empty round one for?  Is that the entrance to the underground auditorium?

• Reply 10 of 25
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Next year s/he can get a job assembling Apple products in China; small hands are a real asset.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

There are some weird outbuildings in some of those pictures.  What's the empty round one for?  Is that the entrance to the underground auditorium?

It has to be.  It looks cool.  DAMN cool! :)

• Reply 11 of 25
    I want to live in this universe. If there ever is an apocalypse ....I am heading there.

APPLEOCALYPSE!
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Nike's WHQ in Beaverton, OR has a similar feel. Like a miniature city for the 4,000-5,000 people who work there...restaurants, gym's, dry cleaners, day care, recreational activities...all right there for the people who work there. The biggest difference is that Nike's campus is spread out amongst 20 or so buildings (all name after Nike athletes), while Apple looks to have most everyone in one gigantic building.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

It looks wonderful.  I hope all those amenities can compensate for the mental strain of working in a giant corporate environment.

• Reply 14 of 25
    These renderings of interior furniture reminds me of ``Buck Rogers in the 24th century,'' but in the 21st century.

Steve loved minimalism but loved Italian minimalism. These renderings hide that fact.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Some of these renderings remind me of scenes from I, Robot starring Will Smith. I'm probably the only one. Still, very cool stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 25

Now, about throwing stones...

• Reply 17 of 25

Do you think they're already getting offers to shoot a movie in that space? It will happen one day. I'm sure of it.

• Reply 18 of 25
    welshdog wrote: »
    It looks wonderful.  I hope all those amenities can compensate for the mental strain of working in a giant corporate environment.

You're either mentally fit to be a rat in a maze or you're not... they let you sort yourself out if you're not... That's why you don't see any jump nets in the photos.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    These renderings of interior furniture reminds me of ``Buck Rogers in the 24th century,'' but in the 21st century.

Steve loved minimalism but loved Italian minimalism. These renderings hide that fact.

I agree. We also have an intruder alert here; there's a guy wearing a suit, with tie and all.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

We all work in a giant environment. The company is called 'life' and we just work for small individually named departments within it.

I don't think it should cause any exceptional strain working for a 'giant corporation'. You work in your own particular subset of it just like you exist in your own particular subset of humanity. Social mobility in life is mirrored in employment mobility within the corporation. Do employees of governments feel exceptionally strained or do they just see their boundaries within their own department or physical location and not think much outside it?