Apple's official iPhone 5s & 5c cases prove popular, though most customers ignore brand

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple newly released cases for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c have quickly proven popular, carving away market share from popular casemakers like Otterbox, though most iPhone owners simply don't know who makes the case they own.

Cases

The latest data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners shows that 76 percent of iPhone buyers also own a case for their handset. Among those who have purchased Apple's new iPhone 5s, 15 percent bought Apple's official premium case, while 10 percent of iPhone 5c owners went with the company's first-party accessory.

The data from CRIP suggests that some of Apple's initial success came at a cost to Otterbox, the largest third-party case maker. For the previous-generation iPhone 4S, CIRP's survey found that Otterbox accounted for more than 50 percent of all cases in use.

In contrast, Otterbox's share of the newer iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c was just over 20 percent for each handset.

CIRP

But the largest percentage of iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c case owners simply don't know who makes their case. Among those polled, nearly half of all iPhone 5c owners indicated they don't know their case's brand, while 30 percent of iPhone 5s owners were unsure who made their accessory -- representing larger shares than Otterbox, Apple, or anyone else was able to carve out.

Other case makers -- such as Belkin, Griffin, Incase, Incipio, LifeProof,Speck, and Spigen -- did not command a large enough share to be singled out like Apple or Otterbox. Collectively, they represent about 30 percent of iPhone 5s cases in use, and just over 20 percent of iPhone 5c cases, according to the survey.

"Apple targeted the biggest accessory segment by introducing new iPhone 5S and 5C cases with the launch of the new phones," said Mike Levin, Partner and Co-Founder of CIRP. "Otterbox dominates the market for iPhone 4S cases, though, with over half of the market. A number of other case makers, including Belkin, Griffin, Incase, Incipio, LifeProof, Speck, and Spigen, each have a couple of percentage points in share of all three iPhone models. And, a significant percentage of all iPhone owners, including almost half of iPhone 5C owners, do not know their case brand or manufacturer."

CIRP's findings are based on a survey of 400 phone customers that activated their iPhone in the U.S. after the launch of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on Sept. 20. The poll found that cases have the highest accessory attach rate for iPhone users, beating out screen protectors and car chargers, which about half of iPhone owners have, as well as Bluetooth headsets, which are owned by 20 percent of iPhone users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    That's me. I had two Otterbox cases in the past, this time at $39 and for real leather I bought Apple's case for my 5s.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    The 4S is much more likely to be damaged in a fall, looks like otter box market was reduced when Apple came out with 5/5C/5S. With it's aluminum structure it takes more of a beating than the SS of the 4S before transferring that energy to the glass.
  • Reply 3 of 32

That iPhone 5C case  -  the most ugliest. 

• Reply 4 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The fact that they don't know who makes the case is testament to Apple's focus on product over slapping names across things. I've seen more cases and bags ruined from stupid logos plastered across them than anything else. It's one of the appeals of the Moshi iGlaze - the tiny logo.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Trying to figure out how this spells doom for Apple, oh wait: Majority of iPhone 5S/C users spurn Apple cases.

I have a cheap plastic case on my 4S simply because I couldn't find a better case I liked.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

being an owner of the leather case, i'd have to say it's a mixed bag.  I have the Gold 5s with a Product (RED) leather case.

Half of me really likes the soft-touch yet grippy leather.  However i find it gets really dirty very quickly.

now that may be because of the very supple and toothy leather.  And i consider myself extremely cleanly person, but damn that case gets dirty quick.  So ½ of me thinks it's great, the other thing is self-conscious that i'm a dirt magnet.

I think had Apple had any forethought about the longevity of their cases, they'd test them for 2-3 months prior to final release.  I would have preferred a more burnished and smooth leather, like a wallet.  would attract much less dirt and easier to clean.

• Reply 7 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

That iPhone 5C case  -  the most ugliest. 

I disagree....I have one on mine and love it. To each his own I guess. You're most likely not the demographic Apple is going after anyways with the 5C. 

• Reply 8 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Surprised that anyone bothers with a case on a 5c, I never did with my 3GS. 

Plastic is plastic, who cares if it gets scratched?

• Reply 9 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love my black leather 5a case, but be warned - any other color will turn seriously ugly if you keep your phone in your jean pocket. The blue runs off big time.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The 5c case is awesome with its silicone grip , especially the black one.

The 5s case (with the exception of the black) is a pure case of form over function. I've had to return 2 until settling on the black. I had both the yellow, then Red.
    Both after 2 weeks looked absolutely disgusting- and I take good care of my devices. The simple oils of your hands change it rapidly into the nastiest looking iPhone you'd ever want to see. You've been warned.
    Trying to clean it only make it look worse.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Hard to comprehend how an Otterbox would be the natural competition for a silicone cover. A tank is competes with a pellet gun?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Surprised that anyone bothers with a case on a 5c, I never did with my 3GS. 

Plastic is plastic, who cares if it gets scratched?

I do...I care about the things I own. I don't like having things look like shit. Apparently you don't care. Its called pride of ownership which you obviously don't have.

And, I expect to get money back on the phone when I sell it so I have money to upgrade. I sold my iPhone 4S for more than I paid for it brand new (on contract). It paid for my iPhone 5C and AppleCare+. 

• Reply 13 of 32
    Have to agree that the discoloration and inability to clean a product RED leather case is causing me to search for a new one.

I love the feel and fit of the leather case but it looks nasty dirty. The Apple store site warned that it would discolor as it aged so I can't really fault them.
  • Reply 14 of 32

Otterbox Commuter/4S owner here.   Otter downgraded the quality of their materials sometime between late 2011 and mid-2012... my spouse's Commuter case is less grippy, and has an altogether cheaper feel in the hand.

When I had to replace my case a couple of months ago (damaged), I lucked up and found a "first generation" version on clearance at a local store.  Next time, I will definitely give competing products a closer look.

• Reply 15 of 32
    "Plastic is plastic, who cares if it gets scratched?"

Erm...the millions of people who buy cases for their plastic phones?
  • Reply 16 of 32

Missed the q on launch day so the local Apple store ( ran out of ATT 5S) said I could order on line.

Customer Service was so nice they gave me the $39 - black free.

Still wish Apple could design a case that would let the whole design of the iPhone show through.

• Reply 17 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    The fact that they don't know who makes the case is testament to Apple's focus on product over slapping names across things. I've seen more cases and bags ruined from stupid logos plastered across them than anything else. It's one of the appeals of the Moshi iGlaze - the tiny logo.
    The worst is phones and tablets that splash the company and/or carrier logo on the front. Totally distracts from the display and content.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    tomkarl wrote: »
    Have to agree that the discoloration and inability to clean a product RED leather case is causing me to search for a new one.

I love the feel and fit of the leather case but it looks nasty dirty. The Apple store site warned that it would discolor as it aged so I can't really fault them.

Discoloration is one thing - but the fact is it's uncleanable.
    Try taking it back to Apple. Bring it along with a black one to a sales rep and they might exchange it- even after a month. You'r e not the only one with this problem. I was able after 3 weeks to exchange for a black.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I would take this info with a grain of salt, considering that Apple has a distinct advantage over other case makers on when they can start production of cases for new body styles. No one was making 5C cases in advance of launch. And most 5 otterbox cases need to be revamped to account for the 5S/touch id.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I do...I care about the things I own. I don't like having things look like shit. Apparently you don't care. Its called pride of ownership which you obviously don't have.

And, I expect to get money back on the phone when I sell it so I have money to upgrade. I sold my iPhone 4S for more than I paid for it brand new (on contract). It paid for my iPhone 5C and AppleCare+. 

My iPhone 4s is in pristine condition, as is my iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad 3. I guess the difference between us is that I see the Aluminium and Glass design as a thing of beauty that needs protecting, whereas the cheap plastic iPhone 5c is more of a utility use and abuse kind of device.

Don't get me wrong, a more rugged/plastic design can be very useful to a lot of people.