iPad OS update asking for itunes

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Hi everyone, there was an ipad OS update this evening which seemed to download and install happily. The thing is that the ipad rebooted as intended and then displayed a screen with a picture of a docking cable leading up to the word "iTunes".

I let it sit there for 30 minutes but nothing appeared to be happening so I rebooted it and upon restart the same cable/itunes image displays.

What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

PS:  I don't have access to a computer running itunes - I only have my trusty linux box and Apple never released iTunes for linux.

• Reply 2 of 4

any old itunes will work ... it doesn't have to be registered to YOU. (or your AppleID) It can be Windows or Mac.

The point is, do you have a friend or a library or an internet cafe with iTunes installed? Just plug it in (with internet access) and it should finish.

I can't say WHY it's doing that, but just giving it what it wants will be the easiest way to get it going.

• Reply 3 of 4

Thanks King.

It's odd - I've asked two friends who have PC's - but now they just use iPads!  Its the first time I've properly realised the significance of being "post PC".

No doubt I'll find someone soon enough.

• Reply 4 of 4

It SHOULDN'T require it though (unless the update process got corrupted.)

Since iOS6, the devices are supposed to be able to set-up and update without ever needing to be connected to a computer.  It would SEEM that your update got corrupted somehow to the point it can't boot properly, so it needs to plug into iTunes on a computer to be able to recover.