Apple asks developers to focus on Mail, Graphics in first Mavericks 10.9.1 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday supplied its development community with the first beta of OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for the Mac operating system, and has asked testers to focus their efforts on Mail, Graphics, and VoiceOver.

Mavericks

People familiar with the first OS X 10.9.1 beta said it is identified as "build 13B27." The pre-release software is intended for testing purposes, and is not yet finalized for public release.

OS X 10.9.1 will presumably mark the first update for Mavericks since it debuted on the Mac App Store for free in late October. All Mac users with compatible systems running Snow Leopard or above can upgrade to Mavericks at no cost.

A minor update for Mavericks was issued last week to patch an issue with the native Mail app for Gmail users. It was issued via the Mac App Store.

Mavericks, named after a Northern California surf spot, brings several new features to the OS X operating system, though Apple also paid considerable attention to enhancing performance and battery life with its latest major release. Stats published soon after the release of Mavericks found that public adoption was three times faster than that of Apple's $20 Mountain Lion upgrade from 2012.

As Apple prepares its first maintenance update for Mavericks, the company is also working on its next major OS X release, version 10.10. Traffic data to AppleInsider published earlier this month revealed that testing of the unnamed future operating system has been growing steadily.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Cue all the newbies saying that it should be 11 that comes after 10.

Anyhow, I think 10.9 is truly a beautiful upgrade. So refined, I'm not having a single issue whatsoever. Could be due to a clean install (OSX and applications). Not restoring from backup but copying everything over manually. Fresh .plists and all that.

Everything is fast, the few issues I had (would awake spontaneously from sleep, 4 finger gesture on desktop trackpad wouldn't show the desktop) are gone now.

I do have some issues, design wise, for iOS7, but that's not for this thread.

Keep it up, Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I'm loving it too and the under the hood battery life enhancements and better efficient ram usage drawn by making the OS more savvy is really progressive stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Anyhow, I think 10.9 is truly a beautiful upgrade. So refined, I'm not having a single issue whatsoever. Could be due to a clean install (OSX and applications). Not restoring from backup but copying everything over manually. Fresh .plists and all that.

Everything is fast, the few issues I had (would awake spontaneously from sleep, 4 finger gesture on desktop trackpad wouldn't show the desktop) are gone now.

Keep it up, Apple.

Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

• Reply 4 of 38
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I made the jump from snow leopard, a clean install and is a remarkable os. Only issues with safari freezing the mac, but that was down to some extensions, uninstalled them and no other issues. Happy but I don't like mail as much as I did on snow leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 38

Mavericks is great.  (the updates to Pages, Keynote, Numbers, well... what were they thinking???)

There are two problems I have run in to.

First, wake from sleep can be very slow and the screen jumps through two or three iterations before coming up full (outlines of where things were/are to be, bluish screen).  This could be because I just installed directly with the App store and did not do a fresh install.  I may do that at some point because I can bet that I have a bunch of junk aboard.  Will wait until 10.9.1 is released before I do the reinstall as it isn't that much of a problem (I hope...!)

The second problem is with one element of one app: the render node for Carrara.  The main app works fine on a single machine, but the main and render node (on a 2nd Mac running Mavericks, too) will not work together, though they see each other.  The render node also will just spontaneously crash.  The maker says it is something with the security workings of Mavericks.  Poser Pro, however, works fine with its render node.

I too have major issues with iOS7 and dread that the design elements there will make their way to Mac OS as in 10.10.  10.9 would be my last upgrade for a while if that happens.

Edit:

Safari occasionally has a minor crash with error report.  Never had that before.

• Reply 6 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Mavericks is great.  (the updates to Pages, Keynote, Numbers, well... what were they thinking???)

I too have major issues with iOS7 and dread that the design elements there will make their way to Mac OS as in 10.10.  10.9 would be my last upgrade for a while if that happens.

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

• Reply 7 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Keep it up, Apple.

the only problem I've seen is a Java script problem with 10.9, but that's it.  Otherwise, all I  see is a lot of people noticing problems with apps that might not have been updated yet. But with all major releases, there will be some initial bugs, but hopefully Apple will fix in a timely manner like they've done previously.

I'm just wondering if Apple is going to implement an updated file system in 10.10.

• Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

You are so considerate!  

Thanks!

• Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

What were you thinking Bergermeister???? PMZ says you simply don't know enough to have issssuuuu333ssess!!!!11!!!11

• Reply 10 of 38
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    My coworker is having trouble printing to a Dell 2350 attached to a windows XP box. Mail crashes when he prints as well. I haven't been able to figure the issue out. The print spool pauses after being sent..

Might need a clean install.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

What were you thinking Bergermeister???? PMZ says you simply don't know enough to have issssuuuu333ssess!!!!11!!!11

Me knows.  I's thinkeng that were mine problems.  Me don'ts gone skuuling.

But him are many considerate.

• Reply 12 of 38
    paxman wrote: »
    Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

Didn't know that. Guess they are requesting devs to test Mail.app in this beta.
  • Reply 13 of 38

How about fixing the disappearance of local syncing of Calendars and Contacts with iOS devices? The main thread (there are several) on Apple Discussions has over 70 pages of complaints.

• Reply 14 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

How about fixing the disappearance of local syncing of Calendars and Contacts with iOS devices? The main thread (there are several) on Apple Discussions has over 70 pages of complaints.

Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

So get over it or change platforms.

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

So get over it or change platforms.

Why are people who have a problem when you don't dismissed as "paranoid schizos"?  What they say as "background noise"?  And why should those people switch platforms?  Yes.  Many people like the new OS and iOS.  Some don't, and some actually have real, serious problems (loss of data, loss of accessibility, vertigo).  That does not make them any lesser than those who like it and they shouldn't be ridiculed for their positions/opinions/health.

• Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I made the jump from snow leopard, a clean install and is a remarkable os. Only issues with safari freezing the mac, but that was down to some extensions, uninstalled them and no other issues. Happy but I don't like mail as much as I did on snow leopard.

Btw: 3rd Party Extensions whether on Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc., that aren't updated for the latest browser libraries hang on every OS they have a port.

• Reply 17 of 38
    @ Bergermeister: Thanks!
    @ IKrupp: whoa there keep your shirt on! It may be ok in St. Louis but those of us not in the US have less sorry, NO protection from your government's blanket snooping- they even tap Angela Merkel's phone! Besides, our data protection laws would make it illegal to store personal information in such a cloud service. I'm sure Apple want to sell their products outside the US so isn't it in their interest to fix this?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Oh and by the way the thread in Apple discussions has over 70,000 views, irrespective of how many are posting. Are they ALL paranoid?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tink View Post

My coworker is having trouble printing to a Dell 2350 attached to a windows XP box. Mail crashes when he prints as well. I haven't been able to figure the issue out. The print spool pauses after being sent..

Might need a clean install.

And this applies to an Apple Rumors site?????  

• Reply 20 of 38
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

What appeals to you, pmz, may not appeal to others. Are you to say that your opinion should predominate and not someone else's? Rather self-centered, one may think. Design is a matter of aesthetics, and personal preferences differ. Obviously, the new Notes and other graphics are extremely spare - almost stark - compared to previous versions. It appeals to some people and not others, and often perceptions are a matter of degree. To my eye, the Apple design pendulum has swung past center toward Bauhaus and the likes of Mies van der Rohe. Miesien architecture changed the skyline of the world's cities over several decades, but even it has yielded much of its epochal influence to postmodernism - incorporating elements of personal preference and personality.

Whereas: "Modernist Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is associated with the phrase 'less is more'; in contrast (Postmodernist Robert) Venturi famously said, 'Less is a bore.'" (Wikipedia)