32GB Wi-Fi-only Retina iPad mini most plentiful at Apple Stores

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
With Apple's new Retina display-equipped iPad mini facing severe supply constraints, checks of Apple retail stores suggest consumers hoping to get their hands on one of the tablets locally will have the best chance by aiming for a 32-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model.

Retina iPad mini

Data compiled by Cantor Fitzgerald's Brian J. White and revealed in a Tuesday morning note to investors indicates that of the eight Wi-Fi-only models of Apple's latest 7.9-inch tablet, the silver 32-gigabyte variant is the most abundant, showing availability in 72 percent of the 172 Apple retail stores polled.

The same capacity space gray model follows closely behind with availability in 69 percent of stores, while the 128-gigabyte models are said to bring up the rear as stock was found in just 7 percent of locations. The firm did not provide more detailed breakdowns.

The figures add to a growing pile of evidence that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is struggling to meet demand for the new iPad mini. The tablet's uncharacteristically low-key online sales launch was followed by the revelation that in-store sales would be limited to orders placed via Apple's Personal Pickup program, in which customers make their purchase online and pick it up at their local Apple retail store.

Apple CEO Tim Cook had previously said it was "unclear" whether the company would have enough stock for the crucial holiday quarter, while marketing chief Phil Schiller promised Apple was "working hard" to match pace with demand. The tablet's display has frequently been cited in the rumor mill as a drag on supply, with low yield rates from partners Sharp and LG slowing assembly lines.

Supply issues notwithstanding, the iPad mini with Retina display has met with effusive praise from media and consumers alike. AppleInsider's review found that the iPad mini's version of Apple's high-resolution Retina display and the inclusion of the company's latest A-series system-on-a-chip combine to keep the tablet at the top of the 7 to 8 inch class.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Too much demand spells Apple's pending doom /s
  • Reply 2 of 17
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Considering I was easily able to get mine on launch day I think this is hyping things up a little. I'm in the uk where you also have to reserve online - but when I got into the store the guys just took me over to an imac and helped me make the reservation and then put me in a queue to pay and pick up. So although I reserved - I did it in store simultaneously with getting my grubby hands on the new mini :). - 128gb space grey
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I ordered a 16GB Silver WiFi Mini WRD the day it launched and it shipped that night from China and I had it in 3 days. I have a 5S, and the speed is comparable, I like it a lot. I wouldn't have considered a mini if it didn't have the A7.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Based on this article; Apple just made a ton of the 32GB models.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    In store pick-up was easy for a Space Gray 64GB Cellular mini. Ordered, and then picked up the same day.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    "Severe constraint"? I ordered mine (64Gb, engraved, T-Mobile) late on launch day and it's already shipped, due this week. I don't think having to wait a week for a product makes it "severely constrained." Have we all become that impatient??
  • Reply 7 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

what! not sold out yet. doomed.

I'm buying a Nexus7

good for you on that POS...it'll be less than $150 on eBay a year from now.

• Reply 8 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

32GB put the Rmini to the Air level. I'd rather get Air.

• Reply 9 of 17
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I got the air first and then went to the mini - all the punch of the air including 128gb size in a lighter and very usable package....that's a great sweet spot for me.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I would have guessed the 64 gb to be least sold, most get 16 do to cheapest, 2nd get most 128 gb for maximum space, 3rd group get 32 gb for just a little room from minimum, I guess the 4th group who gets 64 gb are thinking they need more than least but don't need max.
  • Reply 11 of 17

I bought a Nexus 7 and love it, especially considering it's about 1/2 the price of an iPad mini.  Unlike the iPad's (which we have three at my house), you can create a separate profile for a child, and limit their access.  I got my 4 year old a Nook HD for $129, which also has parental controls.   There's a plethora of wonderful free games and and apps for children.

So, let's do the math -- Nexus 7 $229, Nook HD $129 for a total of $359.   Compare that to the cost of two iPad mini's at $800, and the savings is a substantial $441.

I just can't justify the starting price of $400 for an iPad mini, especially not for a child.

• Reply 12 of 17
    changed to the AT&T 5GB data plan on my iPhone5 for only $25 more per month and very happy with 16GB miniR as a result...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

I bought a Nexus 7 and love it, especially considering it's about 1/2 the price of an iPad mini.  Unlike the iPad's (which we have three at my house), you can create a separate profile for a child, and limit their access.  I got my 4 year old a Nook HD for $129, which also has parental controls.   There's a plethora of wonderful free games and and apps for children.

So, let's do the math -- Nexus 7 $229, Nook HD $129 for a total of $359.   Compare that to the cost of two iPad mini's at $800, and the savings is a substantial $441.

I just can't justify the starting price of $400 for an iPad mini, especially not for a child.

go peddle your droid shit on a droid dork forum

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

good for you on that POS...it'll be less than $150 on eBay a year from now.

BS, will be less than that in 30 days

• Reply 15 of 17

Nothing wrong with the fact that this particular model hasn't sold out yet. I think people are happy with the new Mini with Retina, but love the Air because it continues the standard that the MacBook Air set in terms of lightness and overall convenience.

This doesn't mean that the new Mini with Retina is less popular. It is simply considered a second-generation Mini (although still impressive), whilst the iPad Air is considered to be in a class of it's own.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

changed to the AT&T 5GB data plan on my iPhone5 for only $25 more per month and very happy with 16GB miniR as a result...

We switched to the 10GB ATT plan after adding our 5th iPhone to the family plan. We had a 4GB plan before with 4 iPhones, but after adding the 5th we were given discounts on the data that made the 10GB plan less than the 4GB plan.

We also are a very proud union family,  and that also benefits us with 15% discounts at ATT since they are a good union company. They also don't charge the $36 start up fee for upgrading or adding lines if you are a union member.