Microsoft debuts Xbox One compatible 'SmartGlass' iOS app ahead of console launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday released an Xbox One-compatible version of its SmartGlass companion app, bringing remote control and other interactive features to the iOS platform ahead of the gaming console's release.

Xbox One

Xbox One SmartGlass allows users to navigate the Xbox One menu system with touch gestures, while providing a mode of input for keyboard duties.

Along with a media remote control, which in some cases can also control set-top cable boxes thanks to the Xbox One's built-in integration feature, the iOS app can be used to browse the Web on a TV. In addition, the app displays SmartGlass companions, a type of second-screen functionality for videos and gaming content.

Away from the house, Xbox One SmartGlass lets users search for, browse and "pin" gaming content for future play. As with the Xbox 360 version of SmartGlass, the update iteration also grants access to Xbox Live for achievement tracking and messaging.

Xbox One SmartGlass is available now as a free download from the iOS App Store, while the console itself will ship on Nov. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    This news caused everyone at the lunch counter to scratch their asses and smell their fingers...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Never mind the fact that he's going to resign soon, steve ballmer mocked the idea of the iPhone and now Microsoft is releasing a vital piece of software for their newest console on iOS. Now that's something to laugh at :lol:
  • Reply 3 of 11
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This news caused everyone at the lunch counter to scratch their asses and smell their fingers...

Is that what runs through your brain?  Oh GOD.  Please don't expand on anything else, I would like to be able to eat dinner tonight.

Thank you.

• Reply 4 of 11

Cant wait for the console killer from apple.

• Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Is that what runs through your brain?  Oh GOD.  Please don't expand on anything else, I would like to be able to eat dinner tonight.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I could not have said it any better.

• Reply 6 of 11
    "You got tiles in my rounded corners!"
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emerica View Post

Never mind the fact that he's going to resign soon, steve ballmer mocked the idea of the iPhone and now Microsoft is releasing a vital piece of software for their newest console on iOS. Now that's something to laugh at image

Not sure it is vital, but it is pretty cool. I really do not understand why people give Ballmer a hard time about mocking the iPhone. What is he supposed to do? Further, in truth Apple didn't even understand how successful it would be. At the time people were saying if Apple took one percent of the high end phone market, that would be considered a success. 

• Reply 8 of 11
    tbell wrote: »
    Not sure it is vital, but it is pretty cool. I really do not understand why people give Ballmer a hard time about mocking the iPhone. What is he supposed to do? Further, in truth Apple didn't even understand how successful it would be. At the time people were saying if Apple took one percent of the high end phone market, that would be considered a success. 

I'm going to go ahead and ridicule everything you just said. They had some clue and a better understanding than you or me,especially at the time what they were releasing, they aren't dummy's. On the other hand Steve ballmer is a goof, he lost his head 14yrs ago. DEVELOPERS,DEVELOPERS,DEVELOPERS! hahah
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tbell wrote: »
    At the time people were saying if Apple took one percent of the high end phone market, that would be considered a success. 

I've never heard people say that. I did hear Steve say they were aiming at getting 1% (=10M) of the phone market in calendar '08. And after 2 months they lowered the price by $200 because they sold 1M in 71 (or was it 73?) days.

I think when a company lowers a price it is an indication they themselves think it's a success.
  • Reply 10 of 11

Awesome! enjoyed smartglass for my xbox 360, glad to see the app come out early.

• Reply 11 of 11

I'm hoping that companies STOP copying this design interface from Microsoft -- the abomination called "Metro" and instead of ending it, they just stopped calling it Metro.

It's kind of "cool looking" from a multimedia "hey, I've got family pictures of the dog and I can see an email icon at the same time" perspective --- but really, they've got a few settings in there that COULD be anything, and then you can click an icon that could be your email. It encourages people to explore, year after year. At least the "advanced menu item" for absolutely everything provided some consistency with Redmond. But sheesh!

Microsoft's inability to recognize the heart rate in the dead horse they've been beating is why they are still spiraling downward.