Apple fixes USB HDD issues with AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a firmware update issued on Thursday, Apple addressed a few minor problems with its newest 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations, including a problem with USB hard drive connectivity.

AirPort

According to the release notes, Apple's firmware update 7.7.2 applies to AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Wi-Fi base stations that support the 802.11ac protocol.

The most pressing issue fixed with the update is a bug that prevented USB hard drives connected to an AirPort from appearing as an available disk in Time Machine. Apple's base stations allow users to connect external hard drives to maximize storage space, or make more storage available wirelessly.

Also addressed is an issue that caused intermittent WAN outages for some users, and another that resulted in a network loop.

Apple's firmware update 7.7.2 is available for download now from Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Not fixed. Still USB 2.0.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I have problems with USB drives showing up on 3rd gen AirPort Extreme so it doesn't surprise me there's still a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Fixed. Bandwidth of 2.0 is plenty for a traditional HDD. This ain't a spec war
  • Reply 4 of 30
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

How can they make USB 2.0 HW become USB 3.0 with a SW update?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    akqies wrote: »
    How can they make USB 2.0 HW become USB 3.0 with a SW update?

magic, silly.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    2.0 is fine with me as all my dust-collecting EHD 2.0s now have a purpose. I plan on getting another TC in the future with 3.0 and using the current one strictly as an elaborate photo album/extender. I just wanted the .ac and I have never been happier with a router, ever.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    These two articles are from the future, apparently.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

Fixed. Bandwidth of 2.0 is plenty for a traditional HDD. This ain't a spec war

Clearly you've never archives 2+ Terabytes using the Time Capsules USB port. Try it. Then respond.

• Reply 9 of 30
    Clearly you've never archives 2+ Terabytes using the Time Capsules USB port. Try it. Then respond.
    Currently running a media server within my home and streaming outside of my home via airvideo and DDNS all off of a USB 2.0 external 7200 rpm drive. Let's talk.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Expressing my Extreme surprise no one's mentioned the error in the article's title yet...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Expressing my Extreme surprise no one's mentioned the error in the article's title yet...
    That's exactly what I was thinking
  • Reply 12 of 30
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Since the upgrade to Mavericks I've had lots of issues with time machine not connecting properly with the USB HDD on my 2nd Airport Base Station.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
  • Reply 13 of 30

If accuracy is what you came for...this ain't the place to find it.
  • Reply 14 of 30

AirPort Express has an USB Drive support?? 

• Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

They didn't say they were upgrading to 3.0.

• Reply 16 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    2.0 is fine with me as all my dust-collecting EHD 2.0s now have a purpose.

If it were 3.0 they'd still work with it the way Apple implements them.
  • Reply 17 of 30
  • Reply 18 of 30
    philboogie wrote: »
    If accuracy is what you came for...this ain't the place to find it.

Just doin' my part to make the world a better place... ;-)
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sergesf wrote: »
    AirPort Express has an USB Drive support?? 

You're right, the Express doesn't support HDD's... They've since corrected the article's title to "Extreme" instead of "Express"...
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I have problems with USB drives showing up on 3rd gen AirPort Extreme so it doesn't surprise me there's still a problem.

Could you make any less sense? This is referring to 6th Gen AEBS & Time Capsule units.

There has never been very solid support for USB drives connected to any AEBS or Time Capsules EXCEPT FOR this latest 6th generation "tall" models, with 802.11ac.

Time Machine backups to external drives has NEVER EVER been supported until this latest edition....and network sharing of files by attached drives has NEVER EVER functioned the way some people think it does (Its not a NAS).