ipad air chassis

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can someone please confirm the ipad air chassis is 100% aluminium on the back. I have the dark grey version and I am worried.
I can't help thinking Apple have conned me and charged me a $1000 for a piece of plastic. I have a 128GB with Cellular or 4G here in London.It's just I have an ipad 4 for sale on Ebay and side by side the ipad 4 feels like a metal back and so so solid like i expect it to be but the air feels so plastic.This loss of weight has it come at a price to us. Have Apple pulled off one of their 'keep quiet' cons. Its just the longevity of the 'air' just doesn"t have that sturdiness like the 3&4. The glass also feels a lot flimsier. Is this in my mind or is it just as strong and an amazing piece of kit which will last as long as the older versions. That back still does feel so plastic. Please someone tell me its not and I am being paranoid, Thank you kind friends.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You can tell if it's metal by pointing the back towards the center of the forehead, rotate it about 70 degrees away from the head and then really violently rotate it towards the head until you hear a thud. The metallic sound is unmistakable. If you don't hear it at first, keep doing it harder each time.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Originally Posted by greedydog View Post

The glass also feels a lot flimsier.

GOOD! The more flexible the glass, the more protected it is from breaking!

That back still does feel so plastic.

That just seems weird. I realize that plastic runs the gamut of textures and tactility, but no plastics can feel like metal. In short, you’re paranoid. No worries.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Marvin wrote: »
    You can tell if it's metal by pointing the back towards the center of the forehead, rotate it about 70 degrees away from the head and then really violently rotate it towards the head until you hear a thud. The metallic sound is unmistakable. If you don't hear it at first, keep doing it harder each time.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Hi Marvin & TS
    Thanks for that, although I must confess I can't get that noise I am looking for. Here is what happened. In the UK we have a chain of stores called Argos, they have about 800 retail outlets in the UK. I chose the home delivery as the local store was out of stock and the returns law is more consumer friendly even if item is opened.
    They delivered my new Ipad yesterday. I got up early this morning and a local store is about 2 miles away even though they don't have the new version in store at present,I asked the 2 managers if they have felt ipads before, they both confirmed - hundreds.I said " Guys here is my home delivery receipt, please look at the back of the machine and in your opinion what material is this" astonishingly they both said PLASTIC, mmmmmmmmmmmmm that did it for me, I got an instant refund of $1000 on the spot under " distance selling regulation law " here in the UK. I am off to my Local Apple store on Monday and although its about 6 miles away, I will get clarity.
    The thing about Apple they have demonstrated dishonesty on more than one occasion in the past.
    Thanks for your help. I will update you next week.
    Kindest regards
    Greedydog

PS Marvin, I tell you what did it for me.When I took out the cellular inlay, I lightly bit on it, if that was metal, unmistakeably my teeth would of noticed it. It is impossible not to feel a difference on your teeth as they are very sensitive to the difference between the two materials, I am sorry to report but plastic came out in every test.I did not feel metal on my teeth.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Thanks for your help. I will update you next week.

Please don't bother.

• Reply 6 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The cellular version does have an all-aluminum back except for a plastic cutout and for good reason: The small plastic section allows for better reception. It's a good thing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    piot wrote: »
    Please don't bother.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Wasn't talking to you Piot- rude pig,
    Stupid comment , stupid name,
    What are u - an Apple worker? - rude idiot , apologies to everyone one else about this moron.
    One thing for sure $1000 is outrageous.
    We are all being a bit blinded by the brand.
  • Reply 9 of 11

I got an instant refund of $1000 on the spot under " distance selling regulation law " here in the UK.

That’s nonsense, by the way, but another topic entirely.

The thing about Apple they have demonstrated dishonesty on more than one occasion in the past.

Yeah? When. It’s metal.

PS Marvin, I tell you what did it for me.When I took out the cellular inlay, I lightly bit on it, if that was metal, unmistakeably my teeth would of noticed it. It is impossible not to feel a difference on your teeth as they are very sensitive to the difference between the two materials, I am sorry to report but plastic came out in every test.I did not feel metal on my teeth.

Wh… wait… facetiousness? 

Wasn't talking to you - rude pig

Open forum; you’re talking to everyone.

• Reply 10 of 11
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    [QUOTE]Private message from greedydog
    Nov 24, 2013 at 5:30 am

Shut your mouth - brainless Yank who hides behind his computer.
    Apple's new ipad air is a rip off at $1000. It's idiots like you that are brainwashed by their marketing which is better than their products.
    Such an arsehole....?
    [/QUOTE]

Classy.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    piot wrote: »
    Classy.

But never a more true analysis of a complete brainwashed soul.... go lose your virginity.