Unable to update iPad 2 to iOS 7

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I just bought an iPad 2 from a friend of mine and wanted to update it to ios 7 but when I tried to do an update over the air it said that iOS 5.1.1 is the current version. I then plugged it to the pc to see if I could get it to update with iTunes and the same thing happened.

Shouldn't it just "detect" that there is an available update for it and just update?

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

What were you doing still on 5.1.1, anyway?

Manually download it. I’d give you a link, but there are four iPad 2 models and I don’t know what you have.

• Reply 2 of 14
    Just got it today, she kept it on 5.1.1 because she mostly used it as a reader and some mailing.

Model A1337 16 gb wifi + 3G
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Model A1337 16 gb wifi + 3G

Okay, that’s a first-gen. You’re as high as you can go.

• Reply 4 of 14

Why would you want to update to iOS7 anyway? It's loaded with bugs and doesn't feel as smooth as iOS5/6

• Reply 5 of 14
    Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

Why would you want to update to iOS7 anyway? It's loaded with bugs and doesn't feel as smooth as iOS5/6

Is this really the best you can do? Samsung must be cutting your pay after losing that last lawsuit.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this really the best you can do? Samsung must be cutting your pay after losing that last lawsuit.

What does Samsung have to do with this? Then again, this is the problem with people obsessed with a particular product. They wouldn't admit there's a problem if their little precious blew up in their face.

I have a iPad Air and iPhone 5 with iOS7, I would say around 1/3 of my apps that ran perfectly fine on iOS6 crashes on iOS7. Upgrading to iOS7 was the biggest mistake I made this year. I took a leap of faith and broke my personal code of electronics, "if it works don't mess with it". I should've waited for iOS7.1 or when iOS7 was more mature.

• Reply 7 of 14

…I would say around 1/3 of my apps that ran perfectly fine on iOS6 crashes on iOS7.

Thanks for pretending this has anything to do with Apple. This is your fault.

Upgrading to iOS7 was the biggest mistake I made this year.

That’s right. YOU made the mistake. Not Apple.

I took a leap of faith and broke my personal code of electronics, "if it works don't mess with it".

I guess that Apple ][ gets you on the Internet just fine, huh.

I should've waited for iOS7.1 or when iOS7 was more mature.

Or, you know, not lied.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Thanks for pretending this has anything to do with Apple. This is your fault.

That’s right. YOU made the mistake. Not Apple.

I guess that Apple ][ gets you on the Internet just fine, huh.

Or, you know, not lied.

Uh ok, whatever you say.

A bugged iOS7 is not Apple's fault, lol

• Reply 9 of 14
    Originally Posted by kikkO 

A bugged iOS7 is not Apple's fault, lol

Nice strawman. Show me where I said that.

• Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Nice strawman. Show me where I said that.

Have a happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure you have a seat reserved for AI at your dinner table *cough* computer desk *cough*.

• Reply 11 of 14
    Originally Posted by kikkO

Have a happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure you have a seat reserved for AI at your dinner table *cough* computer desk *cough*.

Thanks for admitting your entire argument is made up. Wasn’t that easier than whining about it for multiple days?

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Thanks for admitting your entire argument is made up. Wasn’t that easier than whining about it for multiple days?

I didn't know 15hrs ago = multiple days, lmao. I know you're a very lonely person but I have to go now. Today is 11/27/2013 in the US, just so you don't lose track of time, lol.

Oh, and unsubscribed. Have fun trolling air.

• Reply 13 of 14

I didn't know 15hrs ago = multiple days, lmao.

What are the odds that yesterday would be a different day than today, huh?

Oh, and unsubscribed.

Why should anyone care, for any reason? Who subscribes to any thread? You have no argument, all you’ve done is throw around insults; go find a different website to crap all over. C|Net loves you people.

• Reply 14 of 14
    I'm just amazed at how well an iPad from the first generation works.

I guess is one of the things that make Apple's products and apple as a brand in general so good. They build things like they built them in the "old days", to last "forever".

I know now that there are no updates after 5.1.1 for this iPad, then again it's an almost 4 year-old device. But the fact that I have the option of downloading the last available versio of the apps and that they work so well is just amazing.

Just bringing things back in topic.