90% of iPhone 5s models now in stock at Apple retail stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Supply of Apple's new flagship handset, the iPhone 5s, has nearly caught up with demand, as a new survey of the company's retail stores finds that 90 percent of models are available.

Piper Jaffray

Availability of the iPhone 5s is even greater for models compatible with America's two largest carriers, AT&T and Sprint, according to data published Tuesday by Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray. He found that 99 percent of iPhone 5s AT&T SKUS are in stock at Apple stores, while 98 percent of Verizon models are fully available.

Together, AT&T and Verizon account for 75 percent of the U.S. wireless market, which means the vast majority of American customers can easily get their hands on the iPhone 5s model of their choice. Munster's poll did not include unlocked iPhone 5s models, which includes versions compatible with T-Mobile, America's fourth-largest wireless carrier.

The poll did include phones compatible with Sprint, the third-largest carrier, and showed that that 72 percent of Sprint iPhone 5s units were in stock. In all, 90 percent of iPhone 5s models were said to be in stock as of Nov. 25, which is down slightly from 95 percent availability of iPhone 5 models on the same date a year ago.

Piper Jaffray

But when inventory levels are adjusted to compensate for carrier market share of phones, Munster said that availability of the iPhone 5s is actually a 0.8 percent improvement over the iPhone 5 release.

"We view the improvement in supply as an encouraging sign that Apple has begun to catch up to demand," Munster wrote in a note to investors. "We continue to believe that Apple will reach supply-demand equilibrium by early December."

The data from investment firm Piper Jaffray comes from bi-weekly checks of 60 U.S. Apple retail stores. It also shows that supply of the iPhone 5s has improved dramatically over the last two weeks, from just 31 percent on Nov. 11 to 90 percent on Nov. 25.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Day late... Bought two 32 5s on Sunday at the AT&T store. Just couldn't wait for apple any more.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member

Uh oh...must be they aren't selling well now like the 5C. 

Apple is doomed! If Steve were here, the 5S would still be sold out! 

/sarcasm

• Reply 3 of 21
    Going to be a huge quarter!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    This assumes that China Mobile is delayed until January. It will be interested to see how Apple meets demand for 5C and 5S.
  • Reply 5 of 21

The demand in Singapore seemed to have slumped. The supplies came too late.

• Reply 6 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Uh oh...must be they aren't selling well now like the 5C. 

Apple is doomed! If Steve were here, the 5S would still be sold out! 

/sarcasm

To us it’s sarcasm but this nonsense is spewed every day. And it does have an effect. Telling a lie often enough makes some people believe it. And if Apple tries to defend itself from these lies and half-truths they are accused of a coverup. They can’t win either way.

• Reply 7 of 21

Good, as my Touch ID only seems to work part time, I might have to exchange. 

• Reply 8 of 21
    Ummmm... I'm sorry but this is terrible reporting. It's not that "90% of iPhone 5s models are now in stock," it's that they are in stock at a rate of 90% across Apple's retail stores. That is a huge difference, and it sounds, frankly, DUMB when worded as it currently is. Even more so when you break it down by carrier. You say that "99 percent of iPhone 5s AT&T SKUS are in stock at Apple stores." Really? There are exactly nine AT&T 5s SKUs. What math are you using to calculate that 99% of them are in stock? Again, the report means that AT&T SKUs are in stock at 99% of Apple stores. Even the first graph you post says "% of stores."

Come on guys.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple doomed
    Weak demand
    If Steve was here we would be sold out till 2015.
    /s

Don't forget to blame Cook for inventory not being at 100% across the board!

I guess it's time for me to upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

~~Good, as my Touch ID only seems to work part time, I might have to exchange.

Try setting the finger you use as 2 separate fingers on the touch ID's setup. Basically go through the process twice setting the same finger 2 times at slightly different angles. This generally alleviates any issues with the angle of your finger on the sensor being off.  

• Reply 11 of 21
    chris0ne wrote: »
    Quote:

Try setting the finger you use as 2 separate fingers on the touch ID's setup. Basically go through the process twice setting the same finger 2 times at slightly different angles. This generally alleviates any issues with the angle of your finger on the sensor being off.  

The extent at which Touch ID makes you move your finger around during the setup process covers that quite nicely. The people I've personally encountered with Touch ID issues were foolishly setting it up for a finger in a way that was quite different from the way they try to use Touch ID to unlock their device. The trick is to setup Touch ID in the way that is most accurate to how you unlock your phone.

For example, don't set it up with a starting point of holding it with your left hand and placing your right thumb squarely on the sensor in direct line with your body (which seems to be the way people want to do it) when you tend to want to unlock it by picking it up with your right hand and then using your right thumb on on a nearly 90 degree angle as well as tilted to the inside. The 90° angle isn't an issue but the titling is. Make this your starting point in the settings and you should get a 99% success rate.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The extent at which Touch ID makes you move your finger around during the setup process covers that quite nicely. The people I've personally encountered with Touch ID issues were foolishly setting it up for a finger in a way that was quite different from the way they try to use Touch ID to unlock their device. The trick is to setup Touch ID in the way that is most accurate to how you unlock your phone.

I wouldn't call it "foolish."  Apple says it works regardless of the angle.  Moving it around during setup should cover the "tilt" you mention.  I was having quite a few problems, but then I set up my right thumb as two different fingers, and it now works almost 100% of the time.  This is a good solution that shouldn't be dismissed.  

• Reply 13 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    starxd wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it "foolish."  Apple says it works regardless of the angle.  Moving it around during setup should cover the "tilt" you mention.  I was having quite a few problems, but then I set up my right thumb as two different fingers, and it now works almost 100% of the time.  This is a good solution that shouldn't be dismissed.  

it is direction/angle agnostic but if your normal holding position is only capturing a partial edge of what you recorded during the setup then you did it wrong. Apple clearly covers this with the way they have you press to establish your center and then uses that to build out around it specifically for off-center and titled presses. So, yes, if you set it one way that isn't part of the match then try to use it a completely different way expecting to work simply because it's the same finger you are being foolish.
  • Reply 14 of 21

Truly one of the worst jobs of headline writing I've seen anywhere.  Completely nonsensical.  Apparently, innumeracy doesn't disqualify one for a position with AI.

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

low demand: doomed. /s

Though you are posting in sarcasm I'm  sure that soon enough we will have some droid weenie show up and start telling everyone its because of low demand.  When the real reason is that Apple ramped production up for the 5s's over a month ago to keep up with demand because they were falling far behind.

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The demand in Singapore seemed to have slumped. The supplies came too late.

First paid droid weenie.

• Reply 17 of 21

You have to have a iq of a monkey to not know how to use Touch ID
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by castcore View Post

You have to have a iq of a monkey to not know how to use Touch ID

Aw, you try to be sardonic, but end up looking stupid yourself. Typical. 

Did I say I did not know how to use it? 

• Reply 19 of 21

Do you have sweaty hands? If so, you may have problems with the touch ID system.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do you have sweaty hands? If so, you may have problems with the touch ID system.

Quite the opposite actually. But out of curiosity, why would sweaty fingers matter?