Apple, Inc. stock closes at $533, highest point since start of 2013

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple stock closed up nearly 2 percent today, reaching $533.40 for the highest close since the first days of January.

The company's stock is now up slightly from the beginning of 2013 for the first time since plunging $100 per share in January and remaining in the low $400s throughout most of the spring and summer.

Apple took advantage of its acutely low stock price in a buyback program that floated a bond offering to buy back 47 million shares.

The 36 million shares Apple bought back in the June quarter at an average of $444 per share would now cost an additional $3.2 billion to acquire again at the current price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Daniel, three articles in a row on the same day. That must be a record. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Is it possible that investors have finally sorted through the nonsense and predictions of gloom/doom so prevalent this year? If you dig deep you find such gems as the iPhone and iPad making tremendous inroads into the business market. Are investors finally figuring out that all those Android devices being activated could be ripoff video dongles and ultra cheap, barely functioning devices? U.S. market share is growing, not declining. China Mobile kicks in shortly.

• Reply 4 of 42

Board members like Andrea Jung and Gore (Ego filled Politician in Innovative Company lol) needs to be fired then you see Google like Move above 1000 in Apple!

Apple Team is Great but Board have some shitty lazy useless members :p 

• Reply 5 of 42

Any idea what might have sparked this jump?

• Reply 6 of 42
    It was January 4th that the price dropped below the $542.10 of January 3rd (My repurchase date) to $527.00 with 21M in volume and proceeded to slide. Even though Apple's financials were positive and the only downside was that the 4th calendar qtr was a 13wk qtr compared to a 14wk 4th qtr in 2011. Wall Street really sandbagged Apple both in January and in April causing the stock to plummet both quarters (almost shades of stock manipulation) even though the financials in both those quarters were well above their peers whose stocks tended to flourish.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    And it's about time. Apple finally went to register a positive share price YTD although its 52 weeks share price is still sitting comfortably in the red zone. Oh, Tim Cook. You're killing faithful long-term Apple shareholders by making us sit around and watch Microsoft have a post-PC era of 40% share price gain in 2013 and Google and Amazon getting around 38% share price gains. Apple had to get stuck in the desolate Grand Canyon of deep-red losses.

I'm glad Apple bought back plenty of shares but it hurts to see the rest of the stock market soaring into the stratosphere while Apple couldn't dig it's way out of the muck. It's just too difficult for a retail investor to grasp the insensibilities of a profitable company with a mountain of cash to have investors shun it like a deadly plague.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    You can't blame apple or cook on this. It's the stock market attacking a great company, plain and simple.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Board members like Andrea Jung and Gore (Ego filled Politician in Innovative Company lol) needs to be fired then you see Google like Move above 1000 in Apple!

Doubt it.
  • Reply 10 of 42

I wish you were right. It will go much higher than where it is now; but open your eyes, look at your own chart and then re-post reality.

• Reply 11 of 42

Doomed for what? More like destined for further greatness.

They are already the most valuable company in the world.

What are you smoking?????????

• Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Suozzi View Post

Doomed for what? More like destined for further greatness.

They are already the most valuable company in the world.

What are you smoking?????????

You clearly don't come here much! The guy was joking.

• Reply 13 of 42

No particular reason for the rise. Conversely, any reason you can think of may be responsible. But markets, in general, demonstrate seasonality.

• Reply 14 of 42

Are you his voice?

How do you know what he is thinking?

• Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple is doomed.

"It's people like you what cause unrest." :)

• Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Suozzi View Post

Are you his voice?

Eric was joking, man. Stick around and you'll get into it.

• Reply 17 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Are you his voice?

"Apple is doomed" is a calling card to sarcasm here.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

Too bad apple wasn't buying their stock hand over fist when it was 400 bucks.  Epic fail for management.  If they had any visibility they should have dove in earlier and with a much bigger buyback over a shorter time period.  At 400 they knew ex-cash the stock was 250.  If they internally knew they could hit about 40/share in EPS that was just 6 times earnings.  A number beyond absurdly cheap.  Over 16% earnings yield versus the almost zero they got on their short term investments.  A 16 percent earnings yield doubles your investment every 4.5 years. 

Instead apple sat on their you know what watching the stock crater and doing nothing.  Yes the current buyback and the first buyback were both not significant especially after you take into account all the employee stock option dilution.  

Apple from the financial side has been woefully mismanaged.  Carl Icahn knows this as do many people who understand shareholder value WHILE running your company.  Apple could have done the 150B buyback when the stock was 400 bucks and still had enough juice to run the company and pay back the loan (against offshore cash reserves) in 5 to 7 years.  Meanwhile the float would have been reduced by almost 40%.   

Did apple management just have no faith in the future?  You might think so if you looked at all the top board members and top executives sale history.  Whenever options vested they almost all got blown out.  Top execs were holding a few hundred shares to zero shares.  Smaller private retail investors were holding more stock than the top brass.   

Will they get smart and listen to Icahn?  Probably not.  

I think Apple will at some point face even more margin pressure and share loss.  I just bought an ipad mini retina.  I'm a big apple fan with 4 ipad 3's, 3 iphone 5's, an ipad mini retina now, imac and macbook pro.  This was the first time I looked at the price and started looking at alternatives like the nexus 7.  I didn't switch teams yet but the fact I even looked scares me.  I feel like I would pay less for an Android tablet and certainly get less than the ipad mini gives me.  However the gap is much less than it ever was in terms of product but the pricing gap feels even bigger.  Not a good trend.

I hope apple doesn't sacrifice quality ever but I can't see them holding these prices over the coming years.  I also don't think they need to.  Maybe price a bit more competitive and make up some of the margin erosion in the volume of sales increasing as a result of the more competitive pricing.  Time will tell

• Reply 19 of 42
    2112 was a year of a speculation bubble that artificially raised Apple stock above where it should have been. That made investors who lost a lot of money on Apple stock shy. I expected all of 2013 to be a sort of mirror image of that bubble, artificially lower than it should be. Maybe we're at the end of that a little earlier than I guessed.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Apple Team is Great but Board have some shitty lazy useless members :p 

Go blow FOX Noise/CNBC lunacy somewhere else.