Rumor: Apple considering 12.9-inch iPads with 2K and 4K resolutions for 2014 launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Adding to rumors that Apple is seriously considering a larger iPad model, a Chinese website on Tuesday claims Foxconn has built five prototype versions of the alleged 12.9-inch tablet featuring 2K or 4K screen resolutions.

iPad Air

Citing a people familiar with the matter, Chinese publication PadNews claims Apple is testing five different 12.9-inch iPad models built by partner manufacturer Foxconn. Further, the company may launch a version with a 2K resolution screen in the first half of 2014, then debut an even higher resolution 4K model a few months later.

The publication quotes sources as saying the first of the larger iPad models could hit store shelves in April, with the 4K ultra-HD iteration coming during the regular iPad product update cycle in October.

While the terms "2K" and "4K" were tossed about in the report, it made no mention of specific panel resolutions. Currently, the iPad Air boasts a 9.7-inch Retina display with a 2,048-by-1,536 pixel resolution, which by many standards is already a 2K panel.

Tuesday's rumor is not the first suggest Apple is building a larger-sized iPad. In November, a report from The Korea Times cited an official at a local Apple parts supplier as saying the 12.9-inch Retina display was already being manufactured by a "first-tier" Korean display maker. Earlier that month, the source of today's rumor said Apple was in advanced testing of either an 11.4-inch or 12.9-inch tablet.

Finally, separate reports from The Wall Street Journal and Chinese publication United Daily News claimed a larger iPad was in the works.

As tablets continue to take over the PC landscape, Apple could be looking to stay ahead of the curve with additional screen size offerings. A 12.9-inch iPad panel would come close to the company's smallest MacBook Pro and surpass the 11.6-inch MacBook Air thin-and-light.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Totally makes sense, Apple has trouble getting mass produced 326dpi 7.9" screens for the iPad mini retina, I'm sure they'll have no problem getting 12.9" screens at 500+dpi next year!

/sarcasm 

• Reply 2 of 90
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adding to rumors that Apple is seriously considering

Very believable.
    However, I would not take it this as any indication of anything other than what it is.
    Apple makes all kinds of stuff that are simply testbeds for different technology/ideas and not as a prototype for an actual product.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    I believe it.
    64 bit OS, Desktop class architecture?
    Mapping advancements, 3D sensors, Social analytics engine?
    Yep. I believe it all.

A whole new class of computing is coming.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

I believe it. Queue the stupid "MaxiPad" jokes. But really, I think it's a great next step. 

• Reply 5 of 90
    Mmmmmuummm! Three sizes - small, medium and larger! If true, maybe a larger iPhone 6 is assured.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

I also believe in the possibility of an "iPad Pro" next year, but expecting mass produced 4K screens at 12.9" for 2014 is wishful thinking. 

• Reply 7 of 90
    Keep those hardware boners in your pants, folks. It's only a rumor.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    It would be nice if they give the iPhone an hd screen before jumping to 2K or 4K screens on the iPad
  • Reply 9 of 90
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

I am not sure I am sold on the larger size. I was very bullish on all previous iterations... but I am trying to get my head around the use cases and who the target users are. The only scenario I can see for average users is if they combine this with notebook capabilities that can morph back and forth into a tablet. For the pro market, I see it for targeted or selective markets.

It will be interesting to see what Apple has up their sleeves if this is truly a path they are taking.

• Reply 10 of 90
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

A 4K screen would be FOUR 1080p panels or (3840x2160) or about 8Megapixels.  According to Wikipedia, 2K is 2048×1080 which is less than the 2048X1536 of the current iPads.

Neither, by definition, are 4x3 aspect ratio screens.  Would Apple make a 16x9 iPad if it was 12.9" across?  I doubt it.  But would they do 4x the current iPad or 4096x3072?  Hmmmmm...

Or…. the 12.9" 4K screen is not for an iPad, but a Retina Display Macbook Air, Pro, or other?  4K screen laptop to go with a 4K display yet to be announced.

Hey.  I can dream!

• Reply 11 of 90
    rgroves wrote: »
    It would be nice if they give the iPhone an hd screen before jumping to 2K or 4K screens on the iPad

With a resolution of 2048x1536, I would be okay with saying the iPad already has a 2k display.

If the 12.9" iPad is a real thing, they probably would want to make sure the DPI is high enough to warrant the Retina name. Current iPad resolutions would be a bit low DPI wise on a 12.9" display. But doubling the resolution again would get them to a high enough DPI, make it easier on developers and have a 4K display as well. If they can pull it off, it would be a big win for them.

And for anyone saying they can't possibly do it in 2014 - how many of you said that the iPad mini wouldn't go Retina until 2014 at the earliest?
  • Reply 12 of 90
    eriamjh wrote: »
    A 4K screen would be FOUR 1080p panels or (3840x2160) or about 8Megapixels.  According to Wikipedia, 2K is <span style="line-height:1.4em;">2048×1080 which is less than the 2048X1536 of the current iPads.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Neither, by definition, are 4x3 aspect ratio screens.  Would Apple make a 16x9 iPad if it was 12.9" across?  I doubt it.  But would they do 4x the current iPad or 4096x3072?  Hmmmmm...</span>

Or…. the 12.9" 4K screen is not for an iPad, but a Retina Display Macbook Air, Pro, or other?  4K screen laptop to go with a 4K display yet to be announced.

Hey.  I can dream!

If Apple shipped a 4:3 display with a 4k horizontal resolution, it would have more pixels than an UHD display. I don't think there would be an issue with them calling that a 4K display, except knowing Apple, they would probably come up with their own term for it. Retina Pro, anyone?
  • Reply 13 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why not say: w or w/o NFC, w or w/o mini USB, blah blah blah.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I believe it. Queue the stupid "MaxiPad" jokes. But really, I think it's a great next step. 

you just wanted to write "MaxiPad" didn't you.

• Reply 15 of 90
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    rgroves wrote: »

I don't see the point of having a higher definition screen on the iPhone. I can't see pixels, so why go high def and force battery life to suffer?
  • Reply 16 of 90

I would consider this unlikely, but today, wishing my iPad was the size of a pad of paper (8 1/2 x 11), I may have to reconsider. An iPad that size and the same weight of a pad of paper might be useful. 

• Reply 17 of 90
    Big deal. It would surprise me if they weren't. However there's a huge difference between a prototype and a shipping unit. Until this actualy ships this is a non-story.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    It's not going to happen, I had a lot of calculations with it on how likely, (Appleinsider app crashed) in basic it's just to high ppi for cost and it would take a 20+ inch device to even need a 4k display.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I would consider this unlikely, but today, wishing my iPad was the size of a pad of paper (8 1/2 x 11), I may have to reconsider. An iPad that size and the same weight of a pad of paper might be useful. 

It's interesting you mention that specific size.  What benefit would an iPad that size offer you that the iPad Air currently does not?

• Reply 20 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

8.5" x 11" display with a 4:3 aspect ratio would make the diagonal 13.9". Makes more sense than 12.9". A larger display is desirable for creative pros, but only if it is pressure sensitive with a revamped touch interface, that in addition to the existing one centred around the finger, would also allow for the greater accuracy of a stylus. This would require a finer granularity of the coordinate system in the touch layer and the algorithms necessary to support it. With pressure sensitivity built-in, it would be system-wide and available to all apps.