Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
New data suggests Apple saw huge sales of the iPad Air and iPhone 5c from Black Friday sales, with an analytics firm seeing a massive growth spike for both devices over the holiday shopping weekend.

Localytics

The latest data from Localytics found that traffic from the iPad Air grew 51 percent this past weekend, compared to the previous weekend. That was by far the largest growth seen in new devices tracked.

The particularly strong performance for iPad Air is attributed not only to Black Friday sales, but also because of a relatively small install base, as the latest full-size iPad has been available for just around one month.

Tied for second in Localytics' data were two more Apple devices: the new plastic iPhone 5c, as well as the first-generation iPad mini. Both represent more affordable options in Apple's product lineup, with the iPhone 5c selling for $99 with a new two-year service contract, and the legacy iPad mini available for $299.

The surge for all three Apple devices is not surprising, as each of them were discounted at various retailers for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.

iPad Air

That may also explain why the Apple's flagship smartphone, the iPhone 5s, and the second-generation iPad mini did not see as significant of a spike. The iPad mini with Retina display saw its online presence grow 17 percent weekend over weekend, according to Localytics, while the iPhone 5s grew 15 percent. Neither device was as heavily discounted for Black Friday.

Rounding out the top Apple devices tracked by the firm was the iPhone 4S, which saw its weekend traffic grow 10 percent after black Friday. The iPhone 4S is available for free with a two-year cellular contract.

Localytics' data included nine devices in total, six of which were the aforementioned Apple products. The highest-ranking non-Apple product was the Kindle Fire HD, which grew 23 percent over the shopping weekend and took fourth place. It finished just ahead of the fifth-place Samsung Galaxy S IV, which grew 20 percent.

Finally, taking ninth was the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which saw its online presence grow 8 percent following Black Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

“iOS 7 is a failure.”

• Reply 2 of 48
    Rate data without absolute sale data is worthless.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Just as I said all along...iPhone 5C sales would increase over the holiday season. Its a terrific deal for parents buying new phones for their children. 

I'm sure there could be some kind of spin on this to make it look like the iPhone 5C is a failure and shouldn't exist. 

Analysts are too worried about the current state of things when they should be more focused on the long-term. This is what sets up a company for the future. 

• Reply 4 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was half expecting to see a bump in 5c sales as they are the perfect holiday
    gift for grand kids. :)
  • Reply 5 of 48
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    This article suggests iPad sales are surging at least on Black Friday.

And yet IDC is proclaiming today that iPads will falter and lose ground in their sad unwinnable war against Android tablets.

Is the iPad surging or souring? Storming the castle or retreating to the woods?

My guess is that the iPad will increase both sales and market share in 2014 at Android's expense.

I also predict that the Android numbers are grossly even illegally exaggerated.
  • Reply 6 of 48

It's also interesting to note that this doesn't include devices bought as Christmas presents, since presumably we won't start seeing traffic from them until the lucky recipients open the boxes and start using them on Christmas day.

Digitalclips, you may still get your 5c holiday bump!

• Reply 7 of 48
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Why would anyone buy the 4s when the prices are identical?   Ignorant folk out there...

• Reply 8 of 48
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why would anyone buy the 4s when the prices are identical?   Ignorant folk out there...

Maybe these people prefer a smaller "one-hand" manageable display are are willing to give up other features just to have that nicer pocketable size. :)

• Reply 9 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    “iOS 7 is a failure.”

"5C is a failure!"
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“iOS 7 is a failure.”

Right. The numbers illustrate your point…unless I misunderstood it as sarcasm, in which case I agree.

• Reply 11 of 48
    Further proof that Apple is doomed. If I don't see actual figures, it didn't happen.

Only Jeff Bezos can get away with telling everyone that Amazon sold a boatload of Kindles and no one will dare to second-guess him. Investors and Wall Street believe everything that Jeff Bezos says. If Tim Cook said something like that he'd be called a liar and every analyst would be out to prove Tim Cook wrong. With Jeff Bezos there is never any doubt whatsoever and the share price will climb straight up. All the analysts and news media will just say that Jeff Bezos is a genius who is never wrong. That's real investor confidence. Apple investors have no confidence at all.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This article suggests iPad sales are surging at least on Black Friday.

And yet IDC is proclaiming today that iPads will falter and lose ground in their sad unwinnable war against Android tablets.

Is the iPad surging or souring? Storming the castle or retreating to the woods?

My guess is that the iPad will increase both sales and market share in 2014 at Android's expense.

I also predict that the Android numbers are grossly even illegally exaggerated.

Because it's all about market share and nothing else matters.  Any company that loses overall market share is considered doomed.  There is a general belief that no company can remain viable with a small amount of market share.  There is the perception that any company or platform that offers cheap products will always come out ahead.  If Wall Street had written about the Battle of Thermopylae, the Greek Army would have suffered defeat in an instant.  Those 300 Spartans would have been crushed in the first wave of the Persian invasion.  After all, how could a small army survive against an overwhelming number of invading forces.  iOS is considered the Spartans and Android is the Persian Army.  Wall Street and the news media believe Apple is as good as dead as the surrounding forces are too much to defend against.  Apple should just throw down its weapons and surrender, right?  Everyone else expects them to get destroyed because overwhelming numbers will ALWAYS win.  Well, that's what everyone hopes because everyone wants to see Apple get slaughtered.

• Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple investors have no confidence at all.

There is no such thing as an "Apple" investor. Everyone is also simultaneously invested in lots of other assets, including houses, other stocks, bonds, mutual funds, retirement funds etc.

In other words, the premise of your post is that an investor somehow behaves differently with one part of their portfolio compared to the other parts of their portfolio. That is nonsensical. Please stop.

• Reply 14 of 48
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Further proof that Apple is doomed. If I don't see actual figures, it didn't happen.

Only Jeff Bezos can get away with telling everyone that Amazon sold a boatload of Kindles and no one will dare to second-guess him. Investors and Wall Street believe everything that Jeff Bezos says. If Tim Cook said something like that he'd be called a liar and every analyst would be out to prove Tim Cook wrong. With Jeff Bezos there is never any doubt whatsoever and the share price will climb straight up. All the analysts and news media will just say that Jeff Bezos is a genius who is never wrong. That's real investor confidence. Apple investors have no confidence at all.

That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

• Reply 15 of 48
    Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

Thats because you fanbois don't understand innovation. Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. Thats innovation my friend. When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

Whoops, sorry. This was so believable that I went and reported it. Have a thumb in apology.

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

...classic!

• Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

I think you forgot a big-ass /sarcasm at the end of that statement...

• Reply 18 of 48
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

$99 (5c) and free (4s) aren't identical. Then there's the issue that the 4s is a great looking phone while the 5c appeals to a different aesthetic (something I applaud BTW, nice to widen a line's appeal).

• Reply 19 of 48
    thedba wrote: »

ROFL ... I enjoyed that, thanks. :D

That said, my wife is outside right now clearing a place in our yard for the Amazon Drones to land.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    magman1979 wrote: »
    I think you forgot a big-ass /sarcasm at the end of that statement...

I think some things are really obviously humor ...