Mac OS X only!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my question is this:

i am sick of OS 9!! it sits there doing nothing! I do not use it or its applications and is simply taking up space in my computer.

i want to solely use OS X for everything.

How do I get rid of OS 9 for good and let OS X run alone.

can that be done? is it safe or are they dependent?

please answer me this question that has been considerably troubling me.

you may email me at [email protected]

thank you!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    if you are absolutely certain about it, go to the root of your main hard drive, and delete the folder named "System Folder". After that, poke through "Applications (Mac OS 9)", and pull out any carbon apps and put them in "Applications". When you only have os9 stuff in there, delete that folder.

OSX doesn't require os9 to run, but if you have any old programs they will NOT run in osx, without "classic". Classic uses the system folder. So, before you get rid of os9, make sure you dont have any classic programs (if you get info on a program, it should tell you if its a 'classic' program).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    i am not allowed to trash the system folder.

i get an error message saying:

THE OPERATION CANNOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE ITEM "SYSTEM FOLDER" IS REQUIRED BY THE SYSTEM.

what now??
  • Reply 3 of 14
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    [quote]Originally posted by kubrick77:

<strong>i am not allowed to trash the system folder.

i get an error message saying:

THE OPERATION CANNOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE ITEM "SYSTEM FOLDER" IS REQUIRED BY THE SYSTEM.

what now??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, there are 2 system folders. Under the finder in OSX, one of them should say System Folder (OS 9) or something to that effect... I'm at a PC right now, so I can't check it out for you.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ummm no

there is "system folder" (os 9) and "system" (os 10)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    You want to get rid of the folder titled "System Folder" not the System folder.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Well, "System Folder" is owned by the system, so you need to change permissions to delete it in get info (or just do a 'sudo rm -r /System\\ Folder/' in terminal).
  • Reply 7 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

(or just do a 'sudo rm -r /System\\ Folder/' in terminal).

careful with the terminal version, because if you misspell it accidentally, like if you forget the forward slash, you could incidentally delete the 'System' folder, which would ruin osx. 'sudo rm -r ...' should always be used with caution.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Do it like this:

[list=1][*]Put 'Applications (Mac OS 9)' and 'System Folder' into the trash[*]reboot[*]empty your trash bin[*]done[/list=1]

• Reply 9 of 14
    skotskot Posts: 17member
    The easiest way to do it, if you don't want to deal with

the Terminal is...

Boot to your OS 9 CD, and Trash "System Folder" and "Applications (Mac OS 9)" then empty the trash.

Then go to your startup disk control panel, select the HD, and restart.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    boot for ur OS X cd and do erase drive
  • Reply 11 of 14
    geez people, ... just log in as "root" and you can deleete anything you want by dragging it to the trash ... you have all permissions.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Including the System...

Defiant's answer gets my vote for the non-Terminal-savvy user.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Including the System...

Defiant's answer gets my vote for the non-Terminal-savvy user.

defiant definately had a good way...but i liked mine too
  • Reply 14 of 14
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    given Steve's Keynote with OS 9's coffin,

you'd think a few developers might be tasked with presentation software AND a specific OS 9 zombie killer app

legacy support is a tough thing... some older games still want GameSprockets

some USB cameras, keychain drives, and webcams might be OS 9 support only (getting better, but a few aren't covered by OSXCAM's ubiquitous drivers)

if you stick with all new gear and new apps, you can probably move safely up onto land