Google Wallet for iOS updated to allow adding credit cards with iPhone camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Google on Wednesday updated its official "Wallet" application for Apple's iOS, giving users the ability to add a credit card to the service by simply taking a picture of their card.

Wallet

The latest version of Google Wallet is now available as a free download from the iOS App Store. The software will automatically capture the number and expiration date of a debit or credit card using the iPhone's camera.

The new update also gives users the ability to instantly sign on to Wallet if they use other Google iOS applications supporting single sign-on. Users can now also use the Google Wallet Card to spend their Wallet Balance at millions of MasterCard locations, or to withdraw cash at any ATM.

The Google Wallet service for smartphones was previously NFC-dependent and exclusive to Android devices. But after Google Wallet kiosks with NFC support failed to catch on, the search giant revised its approach and made the service a digital card holder, covering credit cards as well as store and rewards cards.

Google Wallet for Apple's iOS debuted on the App Store in September, giving users the ability to transfer money and house loyalty cards on their smartphone. Money can be transferred to another user's e-mail address, similar to PayPal, and those transfers can be done for free.

Google Wallet also has PIN security, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and "Purchase Protection." If a user's iPhone is lost or stolen, the Google Wallet application can be disabled online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Giving Google your credit card… :no:

• Reply 2 of 19
    Really?

Trust is like virginity...

"Once broken, never mended".
  • Reply 3 of 19

yep. nothing more needs be said.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Really?

yep. I will never, ever, forget the statement: “…a person has no legitimate expectation of privacy…”

that was the day Google pemanently lost me.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Really?

Rolling on the floor here; too funny!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Why don't we just send Larry Page our physical credit cards so he can buy some robots from Japan and give them to Andy Rubin so he can load his shit-load android and stay amused?

Less trouble for Larry and The L Team ...
  • Reply 7 of 19

While I agree that Google Wallet raises all sorts of privacy issues, I applaud the fact that it makes online shopping simpler for a lot of people in a lot of online stores.

Unfortunately, Passbook is still largely eye-candy, with a long ways to go. Apple seems to come up with these sorts of apps and then appears to get bored with them soon afterwards.....

• Reply 8 of 19
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 9 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Why are people even responding to the post? Although Dick's was appropriate. ROFL
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Wrong forum... Wrong post...

Here goes...

If you like your Mortician, you can keep him..Period (end of report)!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Who the hell trusts this?!? If they can't be trusted with us just surfing the web, who expects to give them their credit card info? This is just too funny and even funnier for those that would trust and use it. I'm not touching this with a ten-foot pole.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Who the hell trusts this?!? If they can't be trusted with us just surfing the web, who expects to give them their credit card info? This is just too funny and even funnier for those that would trust and use it. I'm not touching this with a ten-foot pole.

I agree, I'm not dumb enough to hand Google my CR CD info on a platter.

What amazes me is many people will use this latest Google spy tool.

• Reply 13 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    josha wrote: »

I wonder what the ratio between Android and iOS will be.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    philboogie wrote: »
    josha wrote: »

I wonder what the ratio between Android and iOS will be.

LOL... Here's a legitimate case where Android will have more users (dupes) than iOS.
  • Reply 15 of 19

Wait, so the scam artist in line at the store behind me can now just take a picture of my CC and add it to their "wallet" and use it right away? WOW, great idea boys and girls.

• Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    hawkblade wrote: »
    <p> </p>
    Wait, so the scam artist in line at the store behind me can now just take a picture of my CC and add it to their "wallet" and use it right away? WOW, great idea boys and girls.
    <p> </p>

Google is far from the first to use photo-scanning for credit cards. It's been done for several years now. Paypal is another of the big payment processors who's endorsed it. In fact the company who developed the feature first tested it on iPhones a couple years back.
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/17/paypal-acquires-card-io-which-captures-credit-card-info-with-photos/
  • Reply 17 of 19
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you worried that they're going to go charge something on it?

• Reply 18 of 19
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Wait, so it's OK if the scam artist in line at the store behind you takes a picture of your CC and uses it 10 minutes later?

Seems to me the problem you're complaining about is someone taking a picture of your CC. Google wallet doesn't add any new issues to that problem.

• Reply 19 of 19

Will Google Wallet replace the traditional wallet? Many think such electronic wallet services are the wave of today. According from what I've read, a number of consumers prefer to pay their stuffs via the use of the said “digital wallet.” Personally speaking, I found it so interesting and cool as well. It's nice to think that we can buy things without cash or cards on hand. :)