Airport weirdness

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have partial internet via airport through a linksys wireless router and my dad's PC connected to a wireless ISP.

The weird thing is that I randomly lose browsing after 1-15 minutes. However, messaging like MSN instant messenger remain connected. Whent he router is reset browsing comes back. Anybody had any experience with trying to make this wide range of hardware work together?

Due to the ISP configuration, the PC is connected to the router via the WAN connection and a cross-over cable. Running Airport on an iBook under OS X.2.4

that's all the info. lemme know if you need more, I'm rushed as I try to get this posted before it drops off again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Some additional weirdness:

I've discovered that I can refresh pages that I've already visited. And post this for instance. but I can't go to new sites without a router reset...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Maybe your internet connection times out after a while.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    First ensure your PC isn't using Port forwarding. I know when I use it on mine, my mac simply stops working on the internet (even when using port triggering).

Otherwise it sounds as if your mac is switching the protocol for some reason (this is a wicked problem for me and my two macs, for some damned reason sometimes it won't switch to appletalk then it won't want to use the internet)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Could you tell me more about port forwarding? Like how to find the settings maybe? I tried to find it on my own, but Windows Me's help system is devoid of any information naturally. The internet host is my Dad's computer or I would have wiped the settings and started the network from scratch by now.

It's starting to look like I'll get this working just before I have to go back to school, but I still want to solve this. Guess it's my stubborness.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Maybe your internet connection times out after a while.

COLOR! Awesome!!!8)