Tags

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

Apparently none of the Apple engineers are colorblind. In Finder there is a column of dots under the heading of Tags labeled with colours. For those of us who are colorblind this is a waste and I presume just as confusing to those other customer who have color vision challenges.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Or you could just change the colors.

• Reply 2 of 6

That is asinine. What don't you comprehend about colorblindness?

• Reply 3 of 6
    Originally Posted by Gene S Park View Post

What don't you comprehend about colorblindness?

Well, I know there are a dozen or so types of it, I know that they still all allow you to see a wide range of color, and I know that if you’re one of the ludicrously few people on Earth who actually does see only in shades of grey that the difference in contrast between real colors will be enough to distinguish tags for you.

• Reply 4 of 6
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene S Park View Post

That is asinine. What don't you comprehend about colorblindness?

So what is your point - that colored tags should not be available to anyone because some people are colorblind?

• Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    muppetry wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/161113/tags#post_2444974 layout=inline]So what is your point - that colored tags should not be available to anyone because some people are colorblind?[/CONTENTEMBED]

Perhaps they mean the color dots should have an accessibility feature that converts them to letters e.g r o y gn b p g. Mavericks does allow extensive tagging so files can be tagged with any text label but the color labels are faster to access.

The letters wouldn't look good though so it might be better having an accessibility feature that changes them to symbols. So for example, star, diamond, heart, clover, tick, plus, minus. Star can be used to easily mark out favorites.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

?

Perhaps they mean the color dots should have an accessibility feature that converts them to letters e.g r o y gn b p g. Mavericks does allow extensive tagging so files can be tagged with any text label but the color labels are faster to access.

The letters wouldn't look good though so it might be better having an accessibility feature that changes them to symbols. So for example, star, diamond, heart, clover, tick, plus, minus. Star can be used to easily mark out favorites.

Maybe, but the main difference with colors is that they show the color directly in the Finder, not just when tags are viewed. I can't think of how to do that with text tags.  So if one can't distinguish colors then fine, one can use just text tags, but to complain that the additional functionality of colors should not be available just because some people can't use them does not seem reasonable.