Free Slurpy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't know why Slurpy got banned, but he usually makes well balanced and very good points. He may be considered coming on strong, but I cannot phantom the idea of him being banned. Might have been Apple ][ getting him to a point where he wrote something that isn't fully in line with the rules here. And I'm not saying these ought to be [I]bendable[/I], but hey, ban him and AI might need to look closer at some other posters, including me. Anyhow, I sure hope he'll be back. There's a reason why he gets the most thumbs-up on this site.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160495/ipads-marketshare-drops-11-in-q3-on-lack-of-new-models-android-posts-significant-gains#post_2427631]20 thumbs-up[/URL] (#1 of all time)
"iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains"

I'll never fucking understand the utterly false analogy of directly comparing "iPad" or "iPhone" with "Android" as if they're competing products. It's so sad than even this site engages in this analogy for clicks. "iPad" is a single line of tablets, made by a single company, updated a single time a year. "Android" is a damn OS, that is installed on THOUSANDS of tablets, on HUNDREDS of product lines, by DOZENS of companies, that release multiple tablets per year. So, why the **** is this a fair comparison? COmparing a single product with the combined marketshare of almost every SINGLE other competing product in the world? SO we can use the word "drops" in the headline?

iPad is by far the best selling tablet in the world. The only way to attempt to put a negative spin on things is if you use false analogies such as this, as if "Android" is some product, or some entity. "Android" or Google even, is not benefitting by these truckloads of cheap chinese tablets taht run the OS. The comparison is utterly meaningless. Stop with these Apples to Oranges comparison. Android, a free OS, cannot be compared with iPad, a tablet. Why not actually compare the iPad line against any other tablet line? Oh yeah, cause it would be an absolute slaughter, so we have to combine ALL other tablet lines on the planet then use THAT for comparison, as if that means anything anymore. The tablet market is still growing, and being flooded with cheap models, so decrease in marketshare is expected. I'm dissapointed in Appleinsider for engaging in this click-bait, idiotic comparisons.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158963/apples-cook-being-pushed-to-innovate-by-board-of-directors-fox-report-says#post_2376659]17 thumbs-up[/URL] (#6 of all time)
What a bunch of moronic statements. "Pace of innovation"? As if you can "innovate" on a fucking schedule. As is the comparison of the "pace" compared to the time of Steve Jobs. The iPhone and iPad were years in the works.

Arguably, the "pace" has done nothing but increase in the past couple years, with Apple's entire lineup being revamped, many products drastically. We're not gonna see anything as "holy shit" as the iPhone anytime soon, and besides a phone and a tablet, another mainstream form-factor does not really exist. It's not like you can keep coming up with brand new products, that make sense, and have mainstream appeal, in a linear fashion. The most important thing Apple can do at this point is make sure their software, ecosystem, and hardware remain best in class.

I hope this board doesn't want the Samsung "throw the kitchen sink into products, no matter how half-assed the implementation" strategy, and call that "innovation". But I think they're smarter than that, and these rumors are pretty much bullshit.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152471/hp-taken-to-task-for-releasing-imac-clone/40#post_2185935]12 thumbs-up[/URL] (#10 of all time)
Keep in mind that pretty much every single one of Apple's new products/form factors/design decisions is mocked to hell and back when first unveiled

iPhone- LOL NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD NO PORTS NO REMOVABLE STORAGE NON REMOVABLE BATTERY FAIL!!!
Macbook Air- LOL NOBODY WANTS A LAPTOP THAT THIN WHAT ARE THEY THINKING LOL NO REMOVABLE BATTERY LOL NO TRACKPAD BUTTON
iPad: LOL MASSIVE IPOD TOUCH WITH PHONE OS TABLETS ARE A FAIL SO MUCH WORSE THAN A NETBOOK, NETBOOKS ALL THE WAY
Magic Trackpad: LOL TRACKPADS SUCK WHY PUT THEM WITH A DESKTOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYTHING LIKE A TOY LOL APPLE

Etc Etc. I remember well how many each these things, and everything else Apple has made, were bashed when first released. The Macbook Air was seen as a joke by so many. Yet, now it's 'obvious design' of course, and Apple haters fanatically cheerlead competing, identical looking machines, calling it 'obvious' design, and feigning ignorance at the resemblance. LOL DID APPLE PATENT THIN LAPTOPS??! No, you morons, but you mocked the damn thing when the only company who made that form factor was Apple. A virtual touch keyboard was "laughable and pathetic", until everyone else started doing it. Now, of course, an ultrabook is awesome if its made by Samsung/HP/Asus, non-removable battery and all. Same thing here, where the trolls pretend not to see the resemblance and call it 'obvious' design. I wonder how many of these 'obvious designs' would have seen the light of day if Apple did not exist? Wild guess: 0. Somehow, obvious design stems from Apple's design EACH and EVERY time. Must be coincidence, or something. Its just the 'natural evolution' of things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

The simple answer is that he was just overzealous. I mean… that’s him, after all. I’m sure it’s not permanent; he’ll be back in 3, 5, or 8 days.

When insulting, the trick is to just not do it directly.

• Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't know why Slurpy got banned, but he usually makes well balanced and very good points.

Like I've said before, temporary bans always come first, 3 days initially and after multiple infractions. I don't like issuing infractions to members that have been here a while and contribute positively to the forum but it's not fair to other members if I look the other way when they break the rules. His latest infraction was against SpamSandwich where a single post contained:

"SpamSandwich is too thick to see...
    right-wing nut-jobs like him
    twisted mind of SpamSandwich
    SpamSandwich has xenophobic and racist tendencies himself"

There were at least 4 ad-homs in one comment and counts as one infraction and Slurpy has done this multiple times over the last few months so the infractions accumulate. If people don't like other members, that's what their ignore list is for. Even if people have unpopular opinions, it's not the role of a moderator to pick and choose which opinions are better than others. Moderation should be a last resort to keeping discussion civilized and it should be consistent.

The most important rule that everyone should stick by is that ad-hom comments are not ok. Attacking the member posting the comment rather than the particular comment made is off-topic and it serves to encourage others to do the same thing so that it creates an argument instead of a debate.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ^ post

Ah, ok, good to know, didn't know there were 3 levels. When I see banned I'm like "What happened?" And when I see someone post who has been banned I'm like "How did that happen?" But you explained that, thanks.
    Marvin wrote: »
    ^ post

Wow, yeah, I can see that now. That's indeed personal. I must admit, I sometimes have a similar feeling to someone and know I wrote something awful to someone in the past. Good thing I learn from it. Hope others will to.

A shame we can't all get along; it would make a discussion easier if we could still make our point come across without any attacks. Simple rewording should make us all play along.

So, Slurpy, if you come back please post more of these balanced and well founded ones. You make valid arguments as these three pasted here.