Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2015
Apple's much anticipated new high-end Mac Pro desktop, in a completely new and unique cylindrical design completely manufactured in America, will become available to order starting Thursday at an entry price of $2,999.

Mac Pro

Apple announced availability of the new Mac Pro on Wednesday, boasting that the redesigned desktop will sport the latest Intel Xeon processors, dual workstation-class GPUs, PCIe-based flash storage, and ultra-fast ECC memory.

The launch less than a week before Christmas means Apple will meet its self-imposed December deadline, announced by the company in October, when it also revealed pricing for the professional-grade machine.

The new Mac Pro is 9.9 inches tall and one-eighth the volume of its predecessor, featuring Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics that can deliver up to eight times the graphics performance of the previous Mac Pro. It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity.

Thunderbolt connectivity with six integrated ports offers 20Gb/s throughput, and the new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support. In all, Apple says the Mac Pro can support up to 36 high-performance peripherals, including the latest 4K displays, all at once.

With ECC DDR3 RAM, the system can deliver up to 60GBps of memory bandwidth, which Apple says will allow seamlessly editing full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background.

The Mac Pro is also a landmark achievement for Apple, as it will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S. Apple and its supply chain partners have been under fire for years for working conditions in mainland China and the Far East.

AppleInsider took a first look at the Mac Pro when Apple showed off the revamped hardware in October. Its innovative industrial design rethinks the entire concept of desktop computing by looking at the current state of computing with a fresh perspective.

Apple said the all-new Mac Pro will be available to order on Thursday through its online store, Apple's retail stores, and select authorized Apple resellers. No word was given on when shipments may arrive.

Memory

The Mac Pro is available with a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $2,999.

When configured with a 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of VRAM each, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage, the desktop starts at $3,999.

Configure-to-order options are also available, including faster 8-core or 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of VRAM, up to 64GB of memory, and up to 1TB of PCIe-based flash storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 297
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    No official pricing yet other than for the two base models.
  • Reply 2 of 297

Finally!

Now if I can find two considerate early adopters who order the 6 and 8 core versions to test a render from an free app and post the results...  8-)

• Reply 3 of 297

It's small enough to easily fit down any Chimney.

Here's hoping Santa accidently drops one down ours!

Merry Christmas all.

• Reply 4 of 297
    Ok, this is odd. I commented, got thanked for it, and then nothing.

Edit:

Ah, now it showed up!
  • Reply 5 of 297
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wish I could both afford/justify the purchase of one of these beauties!
  • Reply 6 of 297
    aelegg wrote: »

Merry Christmas all.

I hope he doesn't. Drop it, that is.
  • Reply 7 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Merry Christmas all.

Just one?

I'll take two!  Not dropped, of course...

• Reply 8 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope he doesn't. Drop it, that is.

If Santa uses a drone, the Mac can be lowered gently, through the chimney.

• Reply 9 of 297

Thursday...  That's an hour from now where I live!  

Doubt that will be the case, though, so I will have to wait until tomorrow night likely before checking prices.

Bummer.  (in advance if needed)

• Reply 10 of 297
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Merry Christmas all.

I don't have a chimney.

:(

• Reply 11 of 297
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Dyson manufactured computers this would be what they'd make; a compliment.
  • Reply 12 of 297
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I don't have a chimney.

:(

Me either, but I started drilling a hole in the roof...

- - - - -

Going to call my local shop in the morning to see if they have more info.

(about the MP, not on how to drill holes in the roof)

• Reply 13 of 297
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    ireland wrote: »

Dyson's products suck. :)

Thompson
  • Reply 14 of 297
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Personally I can’t wait until one of these shows up on the desk of some scientist or artist on a PBS program, or Morgan Freeman’s “Through the Wormhole” show. It’s just too cool not to.

• Reply 15 of 297
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Dyson's products suck. image

Thompson

Nothing sucks a like Hoover!

• Reply 16 of 297
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    thompr wrote: »
    ireland wrote: »

Dyson's products suck. :)

Thompson

So true. Twice as much as the alternatives, I hear. I hope these new Mac Pros are quieter than a Dyson though. My original G5 wasn't.
  • Reply 17 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

So true. Twice as much as the alternatives, I hear. I hope these new Mac Pros are quieter than a Dyson though. My original G5 wasn't.

Saw somewhere that at idle it is as quiet as a Mac mini.

That is quiet.

I wonder what it will be like at full blast?

• Reply 18 of 297
    It is a bit of economic poetry that the high end MacPro is the same price as the original LISA computer! Let us do hope that the next generation will have a price point closer to today's MacPro.
  • Reply 19 of 297
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Apple announced availability" ... OMG ... Christmas comes early. I was really expecting to order this month for delivery in a few months ...

six core or eight core that is the question for me ...
  • Reply 20 of 297
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Clearly Wall Street doesn't care about Mac Pro as AAPL is down over $9 on no China Mobile deal yet.