Apple fixes VPN connection issue with Mavericks Server update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released a software update for OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server that fixes an issue which prevented some clients from communicating with VPN services through L2TP connections.

Server

The VPN Update for Mavericks Server resolves a problem involving the refusal of L2TP connections to OS X Server's VPN service.

Prior to the update's release, a number of users complained of issues connecting with Mavericks Server's VPN service via L2TP. According to an Apple support document, the problem occurred when the client and server are behind different NAT gateways.

Thursday's VPN update requires the latest OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 version and Server 3.0.1 to operate. Apple notes that the update will only install itself on a machine that has already launched the Server app and used it to set up appropriate services.

Apple's VPN Update for Mavericks Server comes in at 1.6MB and can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This is great news! When I first encountered this, it was such a pain to debug. It was fixable by copying Mountain Lion's raccoon daemon to Mavericks, but of course, it felt like a dirty hack.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    People use mavericks server?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I do. It provided me some features I wanted for my family, including an incredibly easy RADIUS server for my wifi network.
    vaporland wrote: »
  • Reply 4 of 4
    longpath wrote: »
    I do. It provided me some features I wanted for my family, including an incredibly easy RADIUS server for my wifi network.
    vaporland wrote: »

Snow leopard server was nice and I liked it.

The last apple server I purchased was lion server $20 - it had so many bugs I erased it and never looked back.

Now I use Synology NAS and love it. $99 for basic hardware. Full Linux server with Mac-like interface and open source goodies.

I respect what Apple has tried to do with their server offerings but my experience with lion server turned me off forever.