iOS 7 now installed on 78% of active Apple handheld devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The latest official data from Apple reveals that 78 percent of active iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices are running the company's latest mobile operating system, iOS 7, up four percentage points from earlier this month.

iOS 7

Apple's figures cover the 7-day period ending Dec. 29, 2013. With iOS 7 covering the lion's share of Apple mobile devices, iOS 6 remains installed on 18 percent of users' handsets, while earlier versions of iOS account for 4 percent.

The gains made by iOS 7 over the last month came entirely at the hands of iOS 6, which fell from 22 percent at the start of December. Earlier iOS versions remained flat at 4 percent.

The figures reaffirm users' quick adoption of Apple's latest software, as iOS 7 was only released to the public in mid September of this year.

With iOS 6 just over a year old, that means that Apple's two most recent platform releases are installed on a whopping 96 percent of active iPhones, iPads and iPod touch units.

Android

In contrast, though Google has not updated its own official developer statistics since Dec. 2, its most recent data showed that just 1.1 percent of Android devices were running that mobile operating system's latest version, known as Android 4.4 "KitKat."

The largest share of Android users are running some form of "Jelly Bean," which ranges from 4.1.x to 4.3. But a significant 24.1 percent of Android users are still running versions 2.3.3 to 2.3.7, also known as "Gingerbread" --?an operating system version that was last updated in September of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member

It would be higher if they had an appropriate response to the fact that iOS7 has broken wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones. The fact that their much lauded customer support hasn't been at all supportive means that several acquaintances that I know are avoiding iOS7 like the plague and I cannot blame them. I would be avoiding it also if there was a good chance that it would break my phone and Apple's response was too bad, buy a new phone.

• Reply 2 of 95
    With the revelations of NSA planting spy software on iPhones, perhaps the iPhone OS should be referred to as IOS/NSA 7
  • Reply 3 of 95
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I'd imagine that many of the devices that aren't on iOS7 are iPhone 3GS's
  • Reply 4 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    saarek wrote: »
    I'd imagine that many of the devices that aren't on iOS7 are iPhone 3GS's
    Did the iPad 2 get iOS 7.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

It would be higher if they had an appropriate response to the fact that iOS7 has broken wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones.

They don’t because it’s not universally broken.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. :mad:

• Reply 6 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    To be fair to Googs, that 1.1% is about 100% of Android phones that can actually upgrade to 4.4.

As for ios7 breaking wifi on the 4S, I don't think it's that great of a percentage otherwise Apple would have said something. While I don't doubt it exists, I am not having that issue on mine.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    cwscws Posts: 59member

The percentage increase in IOS 7 adoption probably reflects the large number of new devices sold for the Christmas holiday -- not any significant increase in the number of existing owners upgrading their devices to IOS 7.

• Reply 8 of 95
    cws wrote: »
    The percentage increase in IOS 7 adoption probably reflects the large number of new devices sold for the Christmas holiday -- not any significant increase in the number of existing owners upgrading their devices to IOS 7.
    Well iOS 6 dropped from 22% to 18%. So existing owners must have been buying new devices which essentially is upgrading from iOS 6 to iOS 7.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    With the revelations of NSA planting spy software on iPhones, perhaps the iPhone OS should be referred to as IOS/NSA 7

as opposed to the spy ware built into every Android device by Google?
    Probably saved the NSA the effort of creating the app for Android; all they had to do was tap the Google servers.
    Nevertheless their Android app has probably already been deployed, even criminals have made malware to rob Android users.

Not forgetting all those Android apps with dubious permissions sending and receiving info without the user's knowledge.

Oh, and if you didn't know already, the NSA makes its own public contribution to Android:

NSA Has Legitimate Code Running in Linux Kernel and Android
  • Reply 10 of 95
    jungmark wrote: »
    To be fair to Googs, that 1.1% is about 100% of Android phones that can actually upgrade to 4.4.

As for ios7 breaking wifi on the 4S, I don't think it's that great of a percentage otherwise Apple would have said something. While I don't doubt it exists, I am not having that issue on mine.
    I suppose it's like Safari on the iPad. Crashes for me like crazy (especially on this site) but others don't seem to have any issues.
  • Reply 11 of 95
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

It would be higher if they had an appropriate response to the fact that iOS7 has broken wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones. The fact that their much lauded customer support hasn't been at all supportive means that several acquaintances that I know are avoiding iOS7 like the plague and I cannot blame them. I would be avoiding it also if there was a good chance that it would break my phone and Apple's response was too bad, buy a new phone.

You are just plain wrong on all of your assertions. Counting Google hits does’t count. You cannot possibly provide any evidence to support your claim of “iOS 7 has broken wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones” other than thread post counting, which means absolutely nothing. And Apple’s ‘lauded customer support’ is still very much lauded by most. 

Just stating something to be the case does not make it the case. B.S. on your post.

• Reply 12 of 95

Not to mention it's ugly and too bright - I like plain, but….

• Reply 13 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes. My iPad 2 runs iOS 7 perfectly well. Battery life actually  improved for me personally. Do you really think Apple would still be selling the iPad 2 if it didn’t run iOS 7?

• Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by decondo View Post

Not to mention it's ugly and too bright - I like plain, but….

Then live in the past. It’s your life.

• Reply 15 of 95
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Yes. My iPad 2 runs iOS 7 perfectly well. Battery life actually  improved for me personally. Do you really think Apple would still be selling the iPad 2 if it didn’t run iOS 7?
    Ah yes, my bad. I forgot Apple was still selling iPad 2. :embarrass
  • Reply 16 of 95
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don’t because it’s not universally broken.

What does that matter? Their software broke their hardware, and their response is sorry, but we aren't going to do anything about it.

So, you believe that a corporation should only support their customers when their actions negatively affect everyone who uses the product? That is a joke. And is flat out bad business.

Apple is in the wrong here, plain and simple. They broke these people's phones and their response has been unconscionable. They are losing customers, some of which have been long time Apple customers. And no matter how you look at it, that is a losing business strategy. It doesn't matter if it is only 5% or even 1% of iPhone 4S owners. Being told that your one year old phone was broken by them and they aren't going to do a thing about it is not right, and if this is the new Apple attitude then they will regret it someday. Becauase it might just be a few percent this time, but what about next time and the time after that? They worked hard to earn those percentages as customers and now you are saying that it is okay that they just toss them away? I would suggest you ask Microsoft or Sony or Blackberry how that attitude has worked for them.

Apple would be wise to heed Will Roger's wisdom. "It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, but you can lose it in a minute."

• Reply 17 of 95
    I'm in the 4% Earlier iOS crowd with earlier device, original iPad, no iPhone. I am waiting for that number to reduce to 1%. It will be the only time in my life that I can truthfully say, I was a 1 %'er!
  • Reply 18 of 95
    Quote:

iOS7 has broken wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones.

Well, not mine.  All bunnies and sunshine over here, and I connect to at least six networks regularly.

Having said that, I'm not doing anything to upset the applecart on my iPad 3... it's a critical tool for my work, and it will stay iOS6 for the forseeable future.

• Reply 19 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Then live in the past. It’s your life.

That's so sweet. I hadn't thought of that.

The new apple iOS looks like the old Android to me. Consequence of a new post Jobs era, I'm sure.

Looking forward to iOS 8. iOS 7 looks like a baby step in layout and design.

• Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Well, not mine.  All bunnies and sunshine over here, and I connect to at least six networks regularly.

Having said that, I'm not doing anything to upset the applecart on my iPad 3... it's a critical tool for my work, and it will stay iOS6 for the forseeable future.

Some people still run Windows Vista. Go figure.