Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2014
As part of a series of predictions for 2014, Evercore Partners analyst Patrick Wang believes Apple will show a renewed focus on the enterprise market with a new 12-inch iPad hybrid, which he believes would fundamentally change the notebook PC landscape.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.

Wang made his prediction in a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider. He forecasts that a new iPad model with a larger 12-inch display, powered by an Apple-built next-generation "A8" processor will launch in the fall of 2014.

The analyst sees such a device shaking up the traditional, established notebook market --?an industry that Apple rival Microsoft has been trying, but thus far largely failing, to overhaul with its own hybrid laptop-tablet devices running the Windows 8 platform.

He said such a device would expand the reach of chipmaker ARM, which makes the reference designs for Apple's A-series chips. ARM's gains would come at a cost to Intel, the dominant player in traditional computer chips, resulting in greater price competition, Wang believes.

Retina iPad mini review

In particular, Wang noted that the processor in a MacBook Air is estimated to account for 22 percent of the notebook's bill of materials. In contrast, the processor in a 128-gigabyte iPad is estimated to represent just 4 percent of the total cost to Apple.

Wang sees the 64-bit infrastructure introduced in Apple's new A7 processor -- which powers the iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display -- as a "game changer" that sets the stage for a so-called "iPad Pro." Recent rumors have suggested Apple has been testing touchscreen panels in the 12-inch range for a new product that could launch this year.

Some believe the naming convention of the new iPad Air, borrowing from the MacBook Air, could signal that Apple plans to release a professional-grade iPad, akin to the MacBook Pro in its notebook lineup. A 12-inch display would put such a device in a class closer to Apple's 11.6-inch MacBook Air. To date, all full-size iPad models have had a 9.7-inch screen, while the iPad mini models have sported 7.9-inch displays.

But Wang predicts that Apple wouldn't just simply release a larger iPad -- he sees the company using the additional screen real estate to create a hybrid-style device that could serve as both a tablet and a notebook, and would make the iPad lineup more appealing to business customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 236
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.
  • Reply 2 of 236
    I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
  • Reply 3 of 236
    Does Wang have a credible background for making predictions like this? I mean, i'm not doubting the guys ability to read the palm of my hand but... Most of this sounds like hashed rumors, picked and sorted from 14 other stories out there.

I don't trade or own any stock with the exception of some pension and 401k stuff... But I would not for the life of me trust someone with predictions... Especially for apple related stuff. I dunno. These analysts really have me bored now. It's all I see anymore. I wish I could predict the sky falling and get the masses to listen.
  • Reply 4 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
    Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?
  • Reply 5 of 236
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.
    There's obviously a reason Apple renamed the current 9.7" iPad to iPad Air. They have something up their sleeve, but my guess is it will be a radically thin and light ARM laptop with retina display.
  • Reply 6 of 236
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because he enjoys things that don’t work.

• Reply 7 of 236

Samsung Mafia Boss: Troops, time to start your copy-machines .... make it 13-inch though!

• Reply 8 of 236
    Because he enjoys things that don’t work.
    There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.
  • Reply 9 of 236
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rogifan wrote: »
    There's obviously a reason Apple renamed the current 9.7" iPad to iPad Air. They have something up their sleeve, but my guess is it will be a radically thin and light ARM laptop with retina display.

Good point, but I don't think they'll create a hybrid. Steve already said they tried it but that they came to the conclusion that a touch screen needs to be flat, not vertical. So a larger 'iPad Pro' could work, or a ultralight MBA. Moving to ARM for OSX is another discussion on its own.
  • Reply 10 of 236

Because I like touch screens and I like OSX.
  • Reply 11 of 236
    There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.
  • Reply 12 of 236

Theres a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air

Yeah, there’ll be a 12” iPad. Bingo.

and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays.

Refusal to engineer? :p

• Reply 13 of 236
    The new hybrid device is not a bigger iPad, it's a MBA using A7 chip.
  • Reply 14 of 236

"Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall"

Too late, notebook market has already been transformed. Analyst shmanalyst.

• Reply 15 of 236
    Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.

That's true but but they're clearly making room for a Pro model. Apple is brilliant at marketing. They didn't throw on an established brand name modifier only to leave out the complement to that modifier.
  • Reply 16 of 236
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Whatever. Just wait and see. Cook et al know what they're doing when it comes to hardware and the interfaces that come with it. 

• Reply 17 of 236
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    If this ends up like MacBook Air with iPad parts and a better price, I'd be quite interested, particularly if it runs OS X. But I doubt I would go for a UI devoid of a keyboard and heavily dependent on a touch-screen. I type a lot, so a keyboard is a must and touch screens are too slow and clumsy for something sitting on a desk.

If I'm going to lug around something that's 12-inches across, I'll stick with a laptop. As Microsoft failed to notice, touch UIs are a compromise. They only make sense when the gadget is small and there's no desk around.
  • Reply 18 of 236
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The new hybrid device is not a bigger iPad, it's a MBA using A7 chip.

So a slower, less-featured MacBook Air?

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cook et al know what they're doing when it comes to hardware and the interfaces that come with it. 

Do they? They made an iPad too small to be used. A larger one would just be making up for that at this point.

• Reply 19 of 236
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    The two paradigms of OS X and iOS do not mix; they are meant to be kept separate, not combined into a single touch device. I don't understand why it's taking people so long to understand this. OS X = traditional computer. iOS = tablet. Please don't combine them.
  • Reply 20 of 236
    Quote:

But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

Steve Jobs on eBooks: 

“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole concept is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”

Steve Jobs on video iPods: 

"You can't watch a video and drive a car. We're focused on music." 

Steve Jobs on an Apple mobile phone: 

"I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out. We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business."

Steve Jobs on an Apple tablet: 

"Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."