New 'Sensus' case adds pressure-sensitive touchpads to Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One Minnesota company is hoping to give iPhone owners a new way to interact with their devices with a case that lets supported apps determine not only where a user is touching the device but how hard they are pushing on it.

Canopy's Sensus case

The Sensus case uses a proprietary new touch detecton system that parent company Canopy calls Variable Pressure Technology. Canopy's technology differs from traditional capacitive and resistive touch sensors, the company says, because it combines both touch detection and force detection into a single, rubber-like surface.

Featuring a matte black finish, the Sensus adds touch-sensitive strips to the iPhone's sides as well as a larger touch zone in the rear, similar to the integrated rear touchpad found on Sony's PS Vita handheld gaming console. Canopy also provides an SDK that allows third-party developers to integrate the case's sensors into their apps.

Canopy's Sensus case

One demonstration of the case's capabilities, given to The Verge, showed a custom camera app whose shutter could be triggered by squeezing the handset's sides. Another turned the case's rear touch zone into a scale, reading out weight results over the device's speaker.

Canopy first debuted the Sensus at last year's Consumer Electronics Show, though that version --?which was designed for Apple's iPhone 4S --?never made it to production. This year, the company has a new, redesigned variant engineered around Apple's iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s with versions for Apple's iPad mini, iPhone 5c, and iPod touch set to follow.

When the Sensus does make its way into consumers' hands --?Canopy says it is slated to ship in mid-2014 -- the case will retail for $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Do people think pressure-detection is something that would be useful to have built into phone touchscreens? 

• Reply 2 of 7

Interesting, I guess. Perhaps, I don't see the premise. 

My first thought is, I don't want to add "bulk" to an elegantly designed iPhone.

I really only sometimes use a regular very thin case when I'm hiking. And take it off immediately when done. Mostly, I don't even do that.

I do like the Mophie JuicePack Plus which I use only when traveling. I can use my iPhone stress free knowing I'll have enough bat. life left to make calls upon landing. But again, I remove it once I'm home.

Best.

• Reply 3 of 7
    Oh great! Another case. Between this, a Mophie and the shell I need to use lenses I'd be turning blue taking them on and off several times daily. Time to get a few more iPhones!
  • Reply 4 of 7

It will be great for gaming and reading. no longer having to cover up your screen to scroll and interact with the game or book.

• Reply 5 of 7

I have seen this device at a game developer presenation.  It was pretty cool for some games, but not really that useful otherwise.  "Fat finger problem" doesn't bother me though.  Presure sensitive touchpad would be more exciting for me (drawing, etc).

• Reply 6 of 7

Also this device was different the the prototype i saw that had chevrons on the back to help give feedback on where your fingers are.

• Reply 7 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd much rather have a front (transparent) cover that accurately detected pressure.