Apple's domestic Mac sales surge 28.5% as overall PC market shrinks 7.5% [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
U.S. Mac sales spiked 28.5 percent year over year in the just-concluded fourth quarter of calendar 2013, according to the latest figures from Gartner, giving Apple a 13.7 percent share of its home market while the rest of the industry continues to struggle.

Gartner U.S. PC shipments

Apple's nearly 30 percent year over year growth stood in contrast to the 7.5 percent drop that the overall PC market saw in the U.S. during the holiday quarter. Gartner's estimates suggest Apple shipped nearly 2.2 million Macs domestically in the December frame, giving it a 13.7 percent share and putting it in third place.

It was a much petter performance for Apple than a year ago, when the company accounted for just 9.9 percent of U.S. PC shipments. Apple's holiday 2012 quarter was marred by serious delays for its revamped iMac desktop, with most orders not shipping until early 2013.Apple's turnaround in the December quarter is significant, as the company has seen Mac shipments shrinking in recent quarters with consumers turning to alternative products like the iPad.

Apple's performance placed it behind only HP, which had a 26.5 percent estimated share and fell 10.3 percent, and Dell, which grew 7.4 percent year over year and represented 22.8 percent of the U.S. market.

Apple finished ahead of fourth-place Lenovo, according to Gartner, which grew 3.5 percent and held an estimated 9.7 percent share of shipments. In fifth place was Toshiba with an estimated 7.2 percent, off 13.9 percent year over year.

The biggest losses in the PC market came for vendors outside of the top five: They saw shipments fall an average of 30.4 percent in the quarter, Gartner's estimates suggest. Total U.S. PC shipments for the quarter were pegged at 15.8 million.

The figures are in line with data released last month by the NPD Group, which showed holiday Mac sales on pace to see a 29 percent year over year increase from the holiday 2012 quarter. The data also marks an important turnaround for Apple, as the company has seen Mac shipments shrinking in recent quarters, with consumers increasingly turning to more affordable and portable options like the iPad and competing tablets.

In the previous September quarter, Gartner pegged U.S. Mac sales with a 2.3 percent year over year drop. Competing research firm IDC had estimates that saw a more dramatic domestic slide of 11.2 percent.

Total Mac sales would prove to have been down 7 percent worldwide in the quarter, Apple announced weeks later. While sales were sliding, Apple was still outperforming the overall PC market, which saw sales drop 10 percent year over year in the September frame.

New 15-inch MacBook Pro

Unsurprisingly, Apple did not crack the top five estimated vendors on Gartner's worldwide data, so its global performance remains unknown. Total worldwide PC sales are forecast to have fallen 6.9 percent year over year in the December frame, according to the data released on Thursday.

Gartner's data shows Lenovo as the top worldwide PC vendor for the quarter, with an 18.1 percent market share. That's followed by HP (16.4 percent), Dell (11.8 percent), Acer Group (7.8 percent) and Asus (6.5 percent). Total worldwide PC shipments for the holidays are estimated at 82.6 million.

Update: Research firm IDC has also posted its preliminary numbers, which saw Apple lose 5.7 percent of its U.S. marketshare during the fourth quarter to fall to fourth place behind Lenovo. Apple's dropped 3.3 points year-over-year, but managed to hold on to its third-place spot.

IDC
Source: IDC

According to the firm, Lenovo and Dell were the only two companies to come away with positive growth in the U.S. for quarter four. Lenovo was also the only manufacturer to see full year gains.

IDC

Overall, IDC agreed that PC shipments fell during the quarter, though not at the same magnitude as Gartner's estimates. Worldwide, IDC saw PC shipments slump 5.6 percent, while the U.S. market dropped 1.6 percent year-to-year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's with the stupid pie charts. So basically everyone's numbers went up except "others", whoever that is.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Stop posting these positive stories, you're killing Apple's stock price!

Post some "end of the world" stories instead.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member

Apple is DOOMED!!!!!! Tim Cook is running Apple into the ground!!! We need a real innovator running Apple!

• Reply 4 of 97
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Yet the stock market is again negative on Apple. The big rise in Mac sales surprises even me. Time I upgraded.

Oh yes, it's big funds playing their market games, just before Apple releases it's quarterly excellent financials!  ;)

• Reply 5 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    josha wrote: »
    Yet the stock market is again negative on Apple. The big rise in Mac sales surprises even me. Time I upgraded.
    Oh yes, it's big funds playing their market games, just before Apple releases it's quarterly excellent financials!  ;)

APPL and MSFT all tend to move up or down with each other. I don't think Apple is singled out for the most part. If you're not all that familiar with stock prices for some of the other techs as they relate to Apple take a look at MSFT, then check the boxes to compare to Apple.
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MSFT
  • Reply 6 of 97
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's with the stupid pie charts. So basically everyone's numbers went up except "others", whoever that is.

HP's share dropped from 27.3% to 26.5%

Dell's share increased from 19.7% to 22.8%

Apple's share increased from 9.9% to 13.7%

Lenovo's shared increased from 8.6% to 9.7%

Toshiba's share dropped from 7.8% to 7.2%

Entire market space dropped from 27.3% to 26.5%

• Reply 7 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Mac sales don't count for hardly anything as far as Apple's revenue stream is concerned.  It's all about iPhone market share and Apple is losing that in huge amounts.  Apple shareholders will be lucky if Apple shares stay above $500.  Apple is a joke of an investment.  Google has a target price of around $1350 while Apple has a target price of around $590.  One stock will reach it and the other won't.  It's no secret that company with a CEO named Tim Cook is going repeat last year's share price fiasco.  There's absolutely no growth left in Apple as long as they try to gain market share against Android.  H-P is a wreck of a company but at least they're leading in PC sales.  Over the last 52 weeks H-P stock has nearly doubled while Apple went up 2%.  That's how poorly Wall Street thinks about Tim Cook's performance as a CEO.  Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone six years ago and it's fortunate he's not around to see his company being turned into an industry joke.

• Reply 8 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Time for some of that sweet stock buyback action.

• Reply 9 of 97
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Add my two iMacs to the last quarter, last year was a blip due to the imac screwup & nothing else.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Actually, Apple *did* crack the top 5 worldwide PC vendors:

With the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is bad news right? Apple should exit the PC biz and give me more money because as a shareholder I own them. Those mac sales don't benefit me at all. I never see the $$$. As an Apple outsider, I inherently know more about Apple than the people that work there!! /s
  • Reply 12 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Mac sales don't count for hardly anything as far as Apple's revenue stream is concerned.  It's all about iPhone market share and Apple is losing that in huge amounts.  Apple shareholders will be lucky if Apple shares stay above $500.  Apple is a joke of an investment.  Google has a target price of around $1350 while Apple has a target price of around $590.  One stock will reach it and the other won't.  It's no secret that company with a CEO named Tim Cook is going repeat last year's share price fiasco.  There's absolutely no growth left in Apple as long as they try to gain market share against Android.  H-P is a wreck of a company but at least they're leading in PC sales.  Over the last 52 weeks H-P stock has nearly doubled while Apple went up 2%.  That's how poorly Wall Street thinks about Tim Cook's performance as a CEO.  Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone six years ago and it's fortunate he's not around to see his company being turned into an industry joke.

Short it it then...I dare you.  You won't because this is all just a lot of hot whiny air.

• Reply 13 of 97
    Quote:

You're high, right?

• Reply 14 of 97
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,689member
    Quote:

I suggest you read the following articles before deciding that market share is the end-all and be-all of how successful Apple is in the smartphone / tablet space;

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/07/android-market-share-smartphone-users-google-apple

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/09/market-share-smartphones-iphone-android-windows

Installed base is more important than market share.  

• Reply 15 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Wall Street does’t like a one trick pony with everything riding on a single product. That’s Apple right now. The company lives or dies with the iPhone. Remove the iPhone and Apple falls apart, period. Macs are irrelevant, iTunes is irrelevant , the iPod is irrelevant, the iPad is rising but not equal to the iPhone. Add up every other revenue stream Apple has and combined they don’t come close to the iPhone. The iPhone IS the company. As a rabid, blinders on Fanboy even I know this is cause for concern.

If the iPhone stumbles Apple hits the curb. Microsoft is in the same position you say? Yes, but their two trick pony (Windows and Office) is embedded in the fabric and DNA of the Enterprise. 

• Reply 16 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wall Street does’t like a one trick pony with everything riding on a single product. That’s Apple right now. The company lives or dies with the iPhone. Remove the iPhone and Apple falls apart, period. Macs are irrelevant, iTunes is irrelevant , the iPod is irrelevant, the iPad is rising but not equal to the iPhone. Add up every other revenue stream Apple has and combined they don’t come close to the iPhone. The iPhone IS the company. As a rabid, blinders on Fanboy even I know this is cause for concern.

If the iPhone stumbles Apple hits the curb. Microsoft is in the same position you say? Yes, but their two trick pony (Windows and Office) is embedded in the fabric and DNA of the Enterprise. 

I do agree with your characterization of Wall Street's beliefs. These beliefs are asinine, though. This is the most undervalued stock ever. 

A "one trick pony"? Dude, Apple has been delivering hit after hit since 2001. And it just signed with China Mobile. Macs, iTunes, and iPads fuel each other's sales. This is what we call an "ecosystem." 

Apple innovates to perfection, not gimmickry, and its recent acquisitions and hires are all hinting that Apple is on track with its creation cycle. Six years between iPod and iPhone, three years between iPhone and iPad.

Like I tell my co-workers, I'll see you at $1,000, sir. I make money off Wall Street's bears.

• Reply 17 of 97
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not sure if that is 100% true, google is a one trick pony, "ads" yeah they play in other areas and lose money at it, "motorola" for the most part all the income is coming from ad. Price line is the same way and Netflix, the only one who is a little diversified in Amazon, but the are a retailer but have lots of revenue streams but loose money as well.

• Reply 18 of 97

Obviously Apple is doomed.

• Reply 19 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rmgt008 wrote: »

You're high, right?

He's low. But bought high, and we get to suffer in every thread. That's Odo for you there. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

He's low. But bought high, and we get to suffer in every thread. That's Odo for you there. Welcome to the forum.

Hahahaha, happy to be here! I'll be on the look out for these short-sighted bears.