Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Though Apple isn't expected to introduce a new iPhone model for months, one Wall Street analyst claims that the company has already internally "locked down" the design for its next flagship handset, sporting a 4.8-inch display and speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The details come from analyst Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company, who issued a note to investors on Wednesday in which he claimed that much of the design of Apple's next iPhone has been finalized. Citing checks within the company's supply chain, he believes the handset will feature a larger 4.8-inch display, matching the trend of larger smartphones elsewhere in the market.

Arcuri isn't the first to suspect that Apple will launch a larger iPhone model this year, with various earlier rumors suggesting the company has been toying with screen sizes just under 5 inches. One of the most respected Apple analysts, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, said last September that the company is likely to launch a larger iPhone this year, but that the device will not exceed 5 inches due to Apple's "unwavering principle of one hand use."

As for 802.11ac, the new Wi-Fi standard was added to the Macs Apple updated in 2013, along with Apple's AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule routers. But last year's flagship iPhone 5s remains limited to 802.11n Wi-Fi connections.

Aside from hardware tweaks and design changes, Arcuri also said that Apple is planning "key software innovations" with the next major release of its iOS platform. He expects the company will leverage iBeacon, Touch ID and Passbook as part of a push into new services with mobile payments.

Retina iPad mini review

In many ways, Arcuri said, last year's release of the iPhone 5s was merely a "set-up" for this year's new products. In particular, he believes the 64-bit A7 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor will allow Apple to introduce new services that will give it a leg up on the competition.

Arcuri expects Apple to follow its typical annual release schedule and launch a so-called "iPhone 6" in September, though some sources have reportedly indicated to him that a June launch for the next-generation device is "not out of the question."

Also on tap this year, according to Arcuri, is a 13-inch iPad that he expects to "blur the lines between tablets and PCs." The analyst expects that the larger iPad model would likely debut in late 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    Same rumor, new day.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    "Expects" =/= knows.
  • Reply 3 of 88

Sounds like the obvious sweet spot. I think most people are expecting these changes so no surprises here. I'm really scratching my head what else they can pack into an iPhone......maybe an SD card, HDMI port, USB port, runs Flash, NFC.....hmmmmm.....no, I don't want any of that crap.

• Reply 4 of 88
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Please not so ugly as in the mockup
  • Reply 5 of 88
    Before Apple adds yet more new features, can they please get the basics working, like syncing?
  • Reply 6 of 88
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    is there anyone who does not think that the design of the next iteration is not locked down many months ahead of time? it's not like they sit on their asses for 50 weeks of the year and then two weeks before launch, say "yeah, we're going with blankety-blank, we need five million next week."

what type of special education does it take to be an analyst?
  • Reply 7 of 88
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    Before Apple adds yet more new features, can they please get the basics working, like syncing?

syncing for me has been working without fail for *years*. what specific issue(s) are you having?

maybe calling applecare when you get your new phone would be a good idea?

maybe searching other support apple forums would help (https://discussions.apple.com/).

maybe providing feedback to apple would help (https://www.apple.com/feedback/).
  • Reply 8 of 88
    jason98 wrote: »
    Please not so ugly as in the mockup

Agreed. Samsung and Apple would be in court - again.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    whodawhoda Posts: 29member
    Personally, I'm getting tired of the larger and larger screen sizes. Most people that want a bigger screen already have it. I say this with a grain of salt though. I was a big fan of the original iPhone screen size, but I was pleasantly surprised with the iPhone 5/5S screen. However, I have large hands and I do have to stretch sometimes when using one hand (the way I use my phone 90% of the time) so I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself but if the phone form factor is much larger than the 5S, I won't be thrilled. Perhaps Apple will release a 5C phablet, instead of a flagship phablet.

Rather than a larger screen, I'd like to see Retina where they double the resolution again!
  • Reply 10 of 88
    I hope they keep the 4" screen around as well, 4.8" is huge.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wish rumor sites would quit reporting on analysts and their "supply chain checks". No supplier working with Apple, that wants to continue working with Apple, is going to leak future products to a Wall Street analyst.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    Hold on a second.... coincidence? Earnings are at bat. These "new" iPhone sizes always always arrive on schedule with what will likely be a BLOW OUT quarter...

Nothing like these (new screen size) rumors to BLUNT Apples iphone sales....

Who is this guy.? Is he a pro Apple analyst...
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Not much reason in any newer devices to coming with 802.11ac on them. Especially newer devices. With higher throughputs on a single stream and newer power saving features it is built with mobile to be able to benefit from it. Which makes it odd that the newest iPad went with adding an additional stream rather than putting in AC since they were already adding it to the new Macs.

I personally think the 4.8 range or so is a good size for me. Large screen to view, but at the same time not too big. I had a Galaxy S2 for a while between my iPhone models to try it out. I believe it had a 4.7 on it and that was good for me. I would say i have average sized hands. I have iPads already... I do kot need to carry one in my pocket. Haha
  • Reply 14 of 88
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    whoda wrote: »
    Rather than a larger screen, I'd like to see Retina where they double the resolution again!

Just double? Why not to quadruple? So even under microscope it would still stay Retina...
  • Reply 15 of 88

Can't wait for the Apple stans to defend this statement, and this statement alone: "Apple is copying Samsung's screen size."

• Reply 16 of 88

As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

• Reply 17 of 88
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    I prefer the speed and camera in my 5s, but still wish it had the 3.5" screen that my 4 had.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

It's not an issue for other 4.7"/4.8" smartphones, other than the very occasional shirt pocket. I'd guess Apple has it covered.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

nothing is locked down except this ANALysts brain

The use of ANAL as a clever (not so much) derogatory twist when referring to analysts is so long in the tooth I am suspecting there are other factors at play here.

• Reply 20 of 88
    Originally Posted by mandosound View Post

Which makes it odd that the newest iPad went with adding an additional stream rather than putting in AC since they were already adding it to the new Macs.

Except there were no 11ac chips in existence that were small enough and actually saved power to put in it.