Zoom launches iQ5 Lightning-connected professional-grade microphone for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
A new Lightning-connected accessory for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will allow devices to record professional-quality audio through most applications, including Apple's own Camera and GarageBand.

iQ5

Availability of the Zoom iQ5 was announced on Thursday in conjunction with the National Association of Music Merchants trade show. Retailing for $99.99, it includes two microphone elements in a mid-size configuration with both portrait and landscape recording modes.

Simply adjusting the circular attachment on the top of the accessory allows users to ensure audio is being recorded as they intend, with left and right channels clearly labeled. Audio can be captured in 90- or 120-degree fields, adjustable with a switch on the device.

The iQ5 records 16-bit/44.1kHz audio with an analog-type mic gain wheel for precision adjustment of input levels. The Lightning accessory also boasts three auto-gain levels, built-in timing, automatic recording, and a dedicated headphone jack.

Charging is done through a dedicated microUSB port, and the iQ5 is available in both black and white colors, to match respective Apple portable devices.

Zoom offers its own HandyRecorder app, but the company says the accessory is also compatible with Apple's native Camera application, GarageBand, and other "popular audio and video streaming apps."

The iQ5 requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with a Lightning connector running iOS 6 or newer. Available today, the accessory is now in stock in both black and white models at resellers such as B&H.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Just a small correction, its a mid-side mic configuration that is possible, not mid-size.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Available today, the accessory is now in stock in both black and white models at resellers such as B&H.

Huh, says white's available but black is "Expected availability: March 20 2014"

• Reply 3 of 10
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Wow... ugly, bulky, and not compatible with any case. What's the advantage of this over a standalone digital recorder, exactly?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Wow... ugly, bulky, and not compatible with any case. What's the advantage of this over a standalone digital recorder, exactly?

Ok, I'll bite (as an owner of an H1)...

- A legible display?

- No need to rely on external storage (micro SD) for a reasonable recording length?

- No need to carry spare batteries with you?

That's just off the top of my head. 

• Reply 5 of 10

I guess "professional-grade" is kindofa subjective term....

• Reply 6 of 10
    Gee, even Japan is using Chinese labour!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Gee, even Japan is using Chinese labour!

That's really surprising -- I would have expected them to assemble things in Osaka, sell for twice the price, and go bankrupt, instead. 

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Huh, says white's available but black is "Expected availability: March 20 2014"

B&H has both.

• Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

B&H has both.

I got the email notification that black was in today. There must've been a mistake yesterday.

I'm going to hold off to see what reviews say, but I'm more likely to keep one of these in my bag vs my R09.

• Reply 10 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Wouldn't attaching it directly, pick up the tape drive motors? ... Oh wait a minute ...