Apple and Samsung furnish list of accused devices, patents for upcoming trial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Ahead of Apple and Samsung's two-way California patent trial, the two companies on Tuesday filed final narrowed lists of patents and products both sides are accusing the other of infringing.

Galaxy Nexus

As part of the slow march toward the second Apple v. Samsung patent trial to take place in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, both parties entered proposed narrowed patent claims to presiding Judge Lucy Koh.

Both Apple and Samsung were ordered to limit their respective cases to a manageable size, which Judge Koh first defined as 25 patent claims and 25 products in early 2013. As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, the parties went through a few rounds of case narrowing since then and have successfully whittled the number of patents and accused products down to five and ten, respectively.

Samsung is actually asserting five claims from four patents after having its case pared down in January when Judge Koh invalidated an entire patent in a pre-trial summary judgment. With the extra allotment dangling, the Korean company chose to assert a second claim from one of its four patents-in-suit.

Apple, on the other hand, escaped the pre-trial phase with all five claims from five different patents intact despite attempts by Samsung to invalidate a control signals property on the grounds of prior art.

Apple's asserted patents and infringing products are as follows:

Patents
  • U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 for a "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" - Claim 9
  • U.S. Patent No. 6,847,959 for a "Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system" - Claim 25
  • U.S. Patent No. 7,761,414 for "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices" - Claim 20
  • U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 for "Unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image" - Claim 8
  • U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 for a "Method, system, and graphical user interface for providing word recommendation" - Claim 18
Products
  • Admire
  • Galaxy Nexus
  • Galaxy Note
  • Galaxy Note II
  • Galaxy S II
  • Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
  • Galaxy S II Skyrocket
  • Galaxy S III
  • Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
  • Stratosphere
Samsung's asserted patents and infringing products:

Patents
  • U.S. Patent No. 7,756,087 for a "Method and apparatus for performing non-scheduled transmission in a mobile communication system for supporting an enhanced uplink data channel" - Claim 10
  • U.S. Patent No. 7,551,596 for a "Method and apparatus for signaling control information of uplink packet data service in mobile communication system" - Claim 13
  • U.S. Patent No. 6,226,449 for an "Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech" - Claim 27
  • U.S. Patent No. 5,579,239 for a "Remote video transmission system" - Claims 1 and 15
Products
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPhone 5
  • iPad 2
  • iPad 3
  • iPad 4
  • iPad Mini
  • iPod Touch (5th generation)
  • iPod Touch (4th generation)
  • MacBook Pro
Mueller points out that neither company's current-generation products are being accused of infringement, a fact that shines a light on the speed of existing U.S. patent litigation procedures. Instead, devices accused are from 2012 or later, many of which are no longer sold or even manufactured. The products, however, can serve as a basis for damages and injunctive relief, while any trial decisions can have implications on future hearings.

Finally, Samsung also filed a status update on an ongoing effort to invalidate Apple's '172 patent-in-suit. An ex parte, or anonymous, petition to have the property reexamined has seen progress, with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office now agreeing to take a closer look at certain aspects of the patent.

The second Apple v. Samsung court battle is scheduled to start trial proceedings on March 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Funny thing is that Samsung is now coping apple by the style of their lawsuits by adding all the devices including the MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Let's save a little time, shall we?

Infringing devices are marked with the following:

• Reply 3 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    In another unrelated patent infringement trial reported by Mueller Apple is facing a $2B+damages finding of their own. This one flew under the radar, but has been on-going for some time.. I guess Apple could take the check they're getting from Samsung and endorse it to IPCom if they're on the losing end.. IMO a lot of of the goings-on are frankly ridiculous.
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/02/apple-faces-2-billion-damages-claim-in.html
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Let's save a little time, shall we?

Infringing devices are marked with the following:

You know, this sort of bias really doesn't paint you in a good light. I don't know which devices are infringing and some of those patents are utterly ridiculous. Carrying out a method on stored data? I'm so glad I don't have to do business in the US.

• Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

You know, this sort of bias really doesn't paint you in a good light. I don't know which devices are infringing and some of those patents are utterly ridiculous. Carrying out a method on stored data? I'm so glad I don't have to do business in the US.

It's okay if you disagree with me.

I can't force you to be right.

;)

• Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

It's okay if you disagree with me.

I can't force you to be right.

;)

You just embarass yourself. This isn't a competition for being the biggest Apple fanboy. Reality doesn't conform to your weird desires.

• Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

You just embarass yourself. This isn't a competition for being the biggest Apple fanboy. Reality doesn't conform to your weird desires.

Your child-like assumption that anybody who has anything positive to say about Apple isn't portraying your intelligence in the best light either, my friend.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm just saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

• Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Your child-like assumption that anybody who has anything positive to say about Apple isn't portraying your intelligence in the best light either, my friend.

Yeah that sentence doesn't even make sense. I've said plenty of positive things about Apple and there remain many many positive things to talk about.

Acting as if they could never be guilty, and their competitors always must be guilty is just pointless. It means you're not interested in facts, you're just interested in cheerleading. That is embarassing.

Quote:

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm just saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

That is the weakest burn I have ever seen.

• Reply 9 of 20
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

MacBook Pro? All? No iMacs? What things that MacBook Pro can do iMac can not do?

• Reply 10 of 20
    Blah blah blah

How I embarrass myself, where I embarrass myself, and whether your mother's involved is of no concern of yours.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Both of you should probably stop.

• Reply 12 of 20

You know, this sort of bias really doesn't paint you in a good light.

You know, you should go find another website to ruin.

• Reply 13 of 20

Why SAMSUNG even bother making such as list?

Don't they know that the US court system is under intense political pressure to produce an outcome favorable to the "home team" (if you can call a company which outsourced all their manufacturing to Red China and which basically pays no US taxes ,"home team").

Apple will get everything they want, and if not, Obama will step in and "set things right".

Protectionism -- with a dose of anti-Korean racism -- nothing more, nothing less.

-- Those Who Can't Innovate, Litigate --

* Has Apple ever invented anything?

* In a word, no.

• Reply 14 of 20
    Originally Posted by RhymeBoy

-- Those Who Can't Innovate, Litigate -

Shut up and go away, you worthless piece of filth.

• Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away, you worthless piece of filth.

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

* In a word, no.

• Reply 16 of 20
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RhymeBoy View Post

Why SAMSUNG even bother making such as list?

Don't they know that the US court system is under intense political pressure to produce an outcome favorable to the "home team" (if you can call a company which outsourced all their manufacturing to Red China and which basically pays no US taxes ,"home team").

Apple will get everything they want, and if not, Obama will step in and "set things right".

Protectionism -- with a dose of anti-Korean racism -- nothing more, nothing less.

* In a word, no.

Apple put the finger print sensor on the iPhone 5S home button.  This is an invention.

• Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

How I embarrass myself, where I embarrass myself, and whether your mother's involved is of no concern of yours.

GTR, you're on a roll.

GTR: 4

ItsTheInternet: -1

I typically hate this type of immature spats, but this one is so lopsided it's rather entertaining.  :-)

• Reply 18 of 20
    clemynx wrote: »

I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    drewys808 wrote: »
    GTR, you're on a roll.

GTR: 4
    ItsTheInternet: -1

I typically hate this type of immature spats, but this one is so lopsided it's rather entertaining.  :-)

Thank you.

Do you think that I can now put on my resume "Beat the Internet."?

;)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    clemynx wrote: »

gtr wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more.

gtr wrote: »
    Do you think that I can now put on my resume "Beat the Internet."?

;)

Yet. . .:rolleyes: