Apple says turning off Bluetooth may improve AirPlay Mirroring on latest Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2014
Apple said it's aware of an issue where its latest professional Macs may experience AirPlay Mirroring jitters when connected to certain wireless networks and recommended a temporary fix.

AirPlay Mirroring

Owners of the latest MacBook Pros (Late 2013) and Mac Pros (Late 2013) have been reporting dropped streams and freezes when using AirPlay mirroring on an 802.11 b or g WiFi networks (or older AirPort routers).

In a support document Wednesday, Apple suggested there could be some interference from Bluetooth on these Macs and recommended users shut it off when using Airplay.

"Turning off Bluetooth can enhance the performance of Airplay considerably," the company wrote. "To turn off Bluetooth, locate the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar on the upper-right corner of your screen. Click the icon and choose Turn Bluetooth Off."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Good job it's mostly laptops these days.

• Reply 2 of 11
    Another issue that affects more than one MBR we own. This is the only thing i did not try. Truth is "just works" cannot be applied to Airplay. Even with iPad devices, it works most of the time, but too often drops out, then you have to re-select iPad, then re-try selecting the ATV device. We have numerous ATV in multiple, separate locations around the area, with differing routers etc... and it is never guaranteed to just work. Occasionally - when you need it to just work the most, it can be an embarrassment.
  • Reply 3 of 11

from the article ..."AirPlay mirroring on an 802.11 b or g WiFi networks"

I just noticed this - maybe this won't fix it for me - everywhere we use Airplay its always 'n' sometimes at 2.5GHz, sometimes 5GHz

• Reply 4 of 11
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Umm, I guess people will have to break out their backup USB keyboards, and goodbye Magic Mouse. I wonder if changing the WIFI channel would help.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Glad I got an early 2013 MBPr. The Haswell models seem to have more issues.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Glad I got an early 2013 MBPr. The Haswell models seem to have more issues.
    I don't think they really do, it's just there newer people pay more attention to bugs not fixed for a while.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Crap solution because I (like most all newer iMac users) have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I get this problem all the time and it's not that airplay jitters or doesn't work, it's just the mouse becomes unresponsive.

Oh and my AppleTV is direct connected to the iMac (last November model) via latest Airport extreme, so no mirroring over wifi.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Don't tell me, the fix is the update to Bluetooth 4.1, which should be free and software/firmware and require NO new hardware from 4.0, but no word if this will be part of 10.9.2...

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Press-Releases-Detail.aspx?ItemID=197

"

• Coexistence — engineered to work seamlessly and cooperatively with the latest generation cellular technologies like LTE. Bluetooth and LTE radios can communicate in order to ensure transmissions are coordinated and therefore reduce the possibility of near-band interference. The coordination between the two technologies happens automatically, while the consumer experiences the high quality they expect.

"

My guess is this "coexistence" improvement also extends to WiFi somehow too?

https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/specification/adopted-specifications

• Reply 9 of 11
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

Better still, do what I did ... Simply rip out the wi-fi/bluetooth card altogether from your new R2-D2 Mac Pro. It is located under the black cap at the top ... just lever off the cap, remove 8 screws with a T5 torx screwdriver, and you can neuter all the wi-fi/bluetooth radiation from the machine, which Apple has kindly placed on a removable daughter card.  Pops out .... Mac works beautifully - Mac seems faster without it too, and fans seem quieter as well. Highly recommended.

In the Finder, the Finder Menu now shows:

** Wi-fi: No hardware installed

** Bluetooth:  Not available

This also resolves the problem with Mavericks switching Airport back on, even when you have switched it off in hardware. Also the best way to make sure you don't radiate your brain, or other bits.

Less really is more!  Highly recommended.

• Reply 10 of 11
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    That's retarded as I use Apple's Bluetooth mouse on my iMac while I AirPlay both music and movies to my ATV.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    wozwoz wrote: »
    Better still, do what I did ... Simply rip out the wi-fi/bluetooth card altogether from your new R2-D2 Mac Pro. It is located under the black cap at the top ... just lever off the cap, remove 8 screws with a T5 torx screwdriver, and you can neuter all the wi-fi/bluetooth radiation from the machine, which Apple has kindly placed on a removable daughter card.  Pops out .... Mac works beautifully - Mac seems faster without it too, and fans seem quieter as well. Highly recommended.

In the Finder, the Finder Menu now shows:

** Wi-fi: No hardware installed
    ** Bluetooth:  Not available

This also resolves the problem with Mavericks switching Airport back on, even when you have switched it off in hardware. Also the best way to make sure you don't radiate your brain, or other bits.

Less really is more!  Highly recommended.

Better than that just use cables.