AirPlay configuration files in iOS 7 hint at next-gen Apple TV hardware

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
As whispers of an impending Apple TV refresh grow louder, references to a fourth-generation hardware platform for the diminutive streamer are said to have been discovered inside iOS 7 configuration files.

Apple TV

The files reference a device identified as "AppleTV4,1" while the set-top box's current-generation hardware bears a model identifier of "AppleTV3,2." Developer Hamza Sood discovered the string, and the news was first published by 9to5Mac.

A jump in the first number following the product's name generally indicates a substantial hardware change, while Apple usually boosts the second number in the case of a minor spec bump. This was most recently seen when Apple released a slightly modified third-generation unit last January and incremented the model identifier from "AppleTV3,1" to "AppleTV3,2."

Multiple reports have indicated in recent weeks that an update to Apple's favorite hobby is imminent, with some suggesting it could come as soon as March. The claims were bolstered late last month when Apple promoted the Apple TV from accessory to its own top-level product category in the company's online store.

The content of the refresh is unknown, but speculation has centered around the addition of a third-party App Store and gaming support that would turn the box into a sort of iOS-based games console. Apple acquired Israeli computer vision startup PrimeSense, whose hardware powered Microsoft's first-generation Xbox Kinect, for $360 million late last year.

Apple has also been busy beefing up the Apple TV's content lineup, adding streaming channels like WatchESPN and WatchABC in recent months. The company is believed to be plotting the addition of live television content as well, negotiating directly with content providers like HBO in a bid to bypass traditional cable operators.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No shit, they are eventually going to update the Apple TV? Colour me shocked.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Noone getting it ?

It looks like there will be an Apple event in late February/early March (I strongly prefer early March because Apple events were always but last year around that time) There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Enough stuf for an event ;)
  • Reply 3 of 50
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Better late than never, I can't understand why it's taken as long as it has already to bring out an app/channel store
  • Reply 4 of 50
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Bring it on, very excited for this device as I will need another Apple TV soon anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Better late than never, I can't understand why it's taken as long as it has already to bring out an app/channel store

Its taken a long time because, imo, its going to be a major upgrade. I have the feeling the new hardware will fit into one the new product categories.

I wish they would also start selling monitors with optionnal Apple TV plug-ins so they would launch a line of monitors for the minis and mac pro and TV's at the same time.

A monitor that would be able accept an AppleTV box on its back would basicly be an upgradable TV set.

• Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Leaving buffering room for video content, the amount of built-in storage (8GB) in the aTV leaves very little room for "apps" as you'd imagine them downloaded onto the box, like your iPhone or iPad.  So if Apple is planning for apps like that then they'll need to add more flash storage to the hardware.  I think this is why they'd prefer people to use AirPlay to stream games from other iOS devices, if they can get the lag down to something gamers can accept.

Channels, on the other hand, are extremely light, and basically just a front end for content streamed or stored somewhere else- so those could work with existing aTVs, as we've seen from all the Channels added over the last year.

• Reply 7 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Its taken a long time because, imo, its going to be a major upgrade. I have the feeling the new hardware will fit into one the new product categories.

I wish they would also start selling monitors with optionnal Apple TV plug-ins so they would launch a line of monitors for the minis and mac pro and TV's at the same time.

This is the "any reasonable person" malarky.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    march seems too soon. my guess is that a new platform announcement for AppleTV would be WWDC... because if doing TV right is what Apple is looking to accomplish, this will be a whole new platform for developers to write code against.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    march seems too soon. my guess is that a new platform announcement for AppleTV would be WWDC... because if doing TV right is what Apple is looking to accomplish, this will be a whole new platform for developers to write code against.

It will probably run iOS 7. iOS 7 already has the API to handle this.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It will probably run iOS 7. iOS 7 already has the API to handle this.

this?  this?  This is likely a completely new set of Hardware... a 75ohm connector, hdmi 1.4 controls (for stuff like turning the TV on/off, changing the channel with your apple remote), connectivity for inbound blu-ray (never say never), communications to a cable box.... etc.

an api already exists.... sheesh.

• Reply 11 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jusephe wrote: »
    There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Don't forget the iPod Shuffle with Retina Display, the Apple TV Stand, the iPhone Air, and the Mac Pro Mini.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    this?  this?  This is likely a completely new set of Hardware... a 75ohm connector, hdmi 1.4 controls (for stuff like turning the TV on/off, changing the channel with your apple remote), connectivity for inbound blu-ray (never say never), communications to a cable box.... etc.

Yes the API already exists. I know this because.

1) if it didn't the new Apple TV would debut in September, after the WWDC introduces the new API and after it is beta tested.
    2) the API is there already. The Game Controller classes, Sprite Kit and Open GL. That's all you need.

All the other crap you mentioned will be handled by the OS. App devs don't need to know any of it.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Interesting comments. I would like to see apple stream ALL content including games to eliminate heavy local storage. If they could master this it could change the need for more advance hardware specs in some of their devices...making the pricing more competitive while retaining high quality builds...crazy yes but could work.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And what....make ACTUAL iOS development take a back seat? No.

WWDC attendees don't give a $%^& about AppleTV. They're a little more interested in the hundreds of millions they can make selling iPhone and iPad Apps.

AppleTV development has a long way to go before its worthy of time and attention at WWDC.

• Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:

Bluray? Nope.

• Reply 16 of 50

blu-ray (never say never)

How about saying always? As in “Blu-ray support on an Apple product will always be a ludicrous dream in the minds of a few smaller than the xMac crowd.” :p

…communications to a cable box

Yeah, that’s the way to revolutionize¡

• Reply 17 of 50
    The AppleTV is due for a refresh, even without adding new capabilities. It's pretty easy to see them adding HDMI 2.0 for 4K, 802.11ac wireless, and a faster processor just to keep up. Those would be competitive, but unimpressive.

To really start changing the market, they need to do something new and out front. Like HEVC decoding, offering direct channel subscriptions, gaming improvements, or work with fitness/iWatch/bluetooth devices directly.

Or a 64 bit processor with enough local memory and storage to directly run games. It would hit an interesting spot in the market if it were a "console lite", analogous to IOS' casual games versus PS4 style high end games. Several parts of IOS 7.0 are a step in this direction.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No shit, they are eventually going to update the Apple TV? Colour me shocked.

Well, never know with Apple.

• Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CoinAPhrase View Post

The AppleTV is due for a refresh, even without adding new capabilities. It's pretty easy to see them adding HDMI 2.0 for 4K, 802.11ac wireless,… Or a 64 bit processor with enough local memory and storage to directly run games.

Almost exactly what I was thinking though I feel pretty confident that Apple will put in an A7 chip or modified version of one. 64-bit in any case. Support for 4K screens is also a sure thing (IMHO). As for screens, I remain very skeptical about anything other than an Apple 4K Thunderbolt display kicked up to 30-32 inches. Apple is not going to make their own TV's. The Apple TV is Apple's TV.

• Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Noone getting it ?

It looks like there will be an Apple event in late February/early March (I strongly prefer early March because Apple events were always but last year around that time) There will be iOS 7.1, a big introduction of iOS in the car, this software, maybe even hardware refresh to Apple TV and maybe even rumored Mac mini haswell refresh.

Enough stuf for an event image

Works for me.... new Apple TV box that is. Actually I like the idea Google had,  cable signal overlay idea, but just threw too much into it. Should have kept it simpler to use.