Apple promotes from within for new company-wide human resources leader

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
A few key personnel have shifted in Apple's corporate lineup, most notably at the top of the company's human resources department, which has been taken over by the former head of Apple's retail HR.

HR

Denise Young Smith, who previously oversaw human resources for Apple's 42,800 retail employees, has now taken over the company's worldwide HR needs, the company confirmed to Bloomberg. Smith will take over for Joel Podolny, who is transitioning to work full-time in Apple's management training program dubbed "Apple University."

While he was head of human resources at Apple, Podolny helped to establish Apple University with late company co-founder Steve Jobs.

"We are excited that Denise Young Smith will expand her role to lead Apple's worldwide human resources organization," Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet said. "Apple University is an increasingly important resource within the company as we continue to grow, so Joel Podolny will be focusing full-time on developing and scaling the University he helped establish."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Apple said they were committed to better diversity. There ya go.

BTW, not sure that's the image AI meant top use. A picture of a black Apple TV? :err:
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

BTW, not sure that's the image AI meant top use. A picture of a black Apple TV? image

What’s your point?

• Reply 3 of 10

What’s your point?

LOL! Perhaps they might want to post her picture at some point rather than a totally unrelated Apple product.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

LOL! Perhaps they might want to post her picture at some point rather than a totally unrelated Apple product.

I imagine so. In the meantime, they posted an image from the Jobs at Apple page, which is fitting enough.

• Reply 5 of 10
    In case you can't find one.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38312/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    The folks complaining about diversity in management at Apple should look kindly on it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'm trying to imagine when the blak Apple TV gets updated already.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    BTW, not sure that's the image AI meant top use. A picture of a black Apple TV? :err:

It's a good thing the NYTimes doesn't have it out for AppleInsider or this would be deemed a racist article.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine when the blak Apple TV gets updated already.

From the looks of the other black box right above your post I'd say she's 'all ready'.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Regarding the illustration, did anyone bother to read the caption below the product? It's a recruiting ad, making the point that creativity and innovation are highly regarded within Apple, even if the result is not overt and immediately apparent to consumers. It's a belief that Steve Jobs instilled into Apple's culture, and it continues today. It highlights the personal importance of having the opportunity to do meaningful work in one's life. It's illustrated in this paragraph from Walter Isaacson's biography:

"Fifty years later the fence still surrounds the back and side yards of the house in Mountain View. As Jobs showed it off to me, he caressed the stockade panels and recalled a lesson that his father implanted deeply in him. It was important, his father said, to craft the backs of cabinets and fences properly, even though they were hidden. 'He loved doing things right. He even cared about the look of the parts you couldn’t see.' "

Isaacson, Walter (2011-10-24). Steve Jobs (p. 6). Simon & Schuster, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

• Reply 10 of 10
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Maybe Ms. Smith can check this out as one of her more immediate tasks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jordan-price/why-i-quit-my-job-at-apple_b_4769885.html