Apple Lisa mouse personally donated by Steve Jobs unearthed in Colorado time capsule

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
A mouse from an Apple Lisa computer used by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has been recovered from a time capsule buried by organizers of the 1983 Aspen International Design Conference.

Lisa Mouse

Jobs donated the mouse for the time capsule --?called the "Aspen Time Tube" --?after using it to give a presentation at the conference, according to CNET. The event's organizers wanted to reopen the 13-foot-long steel tube in 2000, but its location was lost thanks to new landscaping in the area where it was buried.

The capsule was rediscovered last September, and a crew from the National Geographic Channel show Diggers brought it to the surface. Show co-host George Wyant told the publication that the crew "went crazy" when they found the tube.

"We just freaked out," Wyant said. "We went crazy. Because I'd had a pit in my stomach all day, so it was like instant relief."

Jobs's mouse --?alongside other items like a Moody Blues tape and a Rubik's Cube --?was well-preserved, having been ensconced in plastic bags before the capsule's burial.

The capsule, mouse included, will be featured on the season premier of Diggers on Feb. 25 at 10 p.m. Eastern time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    They wouldn't have to dig too far into my basement to find my LISA mouse or in fact my whole LISA. I don't think that Steve Jobs used it though, but other Steves did, as well as Alexs, Chucks, Tanias, Bills, ... well you get the idea. It has a hard time firing up its hard drive anymore. I guess I'll have to take it to the Apple Store and see whats up with that.

Grumpy
  • Reply 2 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Next a SIRI enabled iPhone.  When they remove it from the capsule it gets pissed and starts cussing in french.

• Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

They wouldn't have to dig too far into my basement to find my LISA mouse or in fact my whole LISA. I don't think that Steve Jobs used it though, but other Steves did, as well as Alexs, Chucks, Tanias, Bills, ... well you get the idea. It has a hard time firing up its hard drive anymore. I guess I'll have to take it to the Apple Store and see whats up with that.

Grumpy

LMAO .... hey, post some pics and keep us updated. :)

• Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Next a SIRI enabled iPhone.  When they remove it from the capsule it gets pissed and starts cussing in french.

OK, this one made me go ROFLMAO just picturing the scenario!

• Reply 5 of 36
    Glad they didn't dug up a Lisa.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    They should've waited 100 years. That's not very long for a time capsule.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but 30 years doesn't seem like a very long time to keep a time capsule buried. And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?
  • Reply 8 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Maybe I'm just getting old, but 30 years doesn't seem like a very long time to keep a time capsule buried. And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?

Totally lame. The steel tube looks as if it was buried yesterday. All the whooping and cheering in the world can make this seem like a significant archeological find.

• Reply 9 of 36
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

... And they had wanted to open it after just 17 years?

Makes them feel self important.  Time capsules should be opened by people who were not even alive when the thing was buried.  100+ years is a good time frame.

• Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

Grumpy

That would be classic! Gotta make a friend make a video during it. Just make sure to make an appointment!

• Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Makes them feel self important.  Time capsules should be opened by people who were not even alive when the thing was buried.  100+ years is a good time frame.

Sounds like a well-conceived plan, this steel time capsule. But without any real intent for follow-through, since they "lost" the capsule. I agree with ya'all: re-package the stuff and put it back in the ground for a couple hundred years.

• Reply 12 of 36
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Shoulda had Geraldo dig it up.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    paxman wrote: »
    Totally lame. The steel tube looks as if it was buried yesterday. All the whooping and cheering in the world can make this seem like a significant archeological find.

30 years is kitsch.
    100 years is fascinating
    300 years is history
    1000 years is archeology
  • Reply 14 of 36

What the 100+ time capsule people don't seem to realize is how easily lost these are.  Seventeen years seems like a short time- but they LOST it even in that short a time!  It has been found that the vast, vast majority of time capsules from the 20th century have been lost and totally forgotten. Usually they are only found during new construction.  The answer isn't to have 100 year time capsules but to understand the entire idea of a "time capsule" is totally stupid no matter what the circumstances!  We cannot foresee what will be rare or interesting in the future.  Obviously the Lisa mouse is a even a reach here, and imagine how much less so if Steve Jobs hadn't come back to Apple and raised it to the level it's at today, and then passed away.  Instead it would be an obsolete piece of computer junk from a defunct company, as many might even say that's all it is now.  Please people, stop burying time capsules altogether and spare yourselves the embarrassment and adding to what amounts to more landfill trash!

• Reply 15 of 36
    Originally Posted by CristobalD View Post

We cannot foresee what will be rare or interesting in the future.

Of course we can.

• Reply 16 of 36

That is one BIG ASS Time Capsule for one SMALL ASS mouse.

Guess the other crap in there is 100% garbage.

• Reply 17 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CristobalD View Post

Please people, stop burying time capsules altogether and spare yourselves the embarrassment and adding to what amounts to more landfill trash!

A time capsule is really small compared to the enormity of land fills and it is a buried treasure not trash. It makes people happy so quit being a Debbie Downer.

• Reply 18 of 36
    Its pretty ironic that the item dug up to celebrate Jobs is represented by the device (and thus Apple's historic failure to live up to promises made to those businesses that invested in the device) that led to the the PC's adoption and dominance in the business community. Should have done Jobs a favor and quietly slipped it back in the tube. Tell me there was also a Newton in there too.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    They should've waited 100 years. That's not very long for a time capsule.

There was a time in the 20th contrary that 30 years for a time capsule may have proven to be interesting when things were changing rapidly and we didn't have easy access to more recent, historical data. Considering I can hop on iTunes to listen to Moody Blues, or look up the entire Lisa or even run the original Apple OS in an web browser that is not today. Even 100 years might be long enough these days.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

From the looks of it, it was a PVC pipe not Steel that is why is look so good and was so easy to cut with a circular saw.