Apple set to discontinue legacy, non-Retina iPad 2

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
After nearly three years on the market, Apple's second-generation iPad, which sports an A5 processor and non-Retina display, is now on the chopping block, and is expected to be discontinued in the near future, AppleInsider has learned.

iPad 2

According to people familiar with Apple's plans, the company has made the decision to ramp down iPad 2 production given that customers are resoundingly shifting purchases towards its more modern and capable iPads, namely the iPad mini and iPad Air.

Apple's iPad 2 first went on sale in March of 2011 and was an immediate success. A year later, when Apple debuted the third-generation iPad with Retina display, it continued to offer the previous-generation iPad 2 at a lower price point of $399.

The $399 iPad 2 may no longer be as appealing to customers with the Retina iPad mini now occupying the same price point.Even with the launch of two more subsequent hardware revisions -- most recently last fall with the fifth-generation iPad Air -- the iPad 2 has continued to live on as a legacy device in Apple's product lineup. Its remaining availability has been somewhat perplexing, suggesting that Apple continued to find success with the device at $399.

But starting last fall, Apple began offering another model at the $399 price point -- the iPad mini with Retina display. And while the iPad 2 has had a tremendous run, customers are now said to be opting for the more compact and higher-resolution iPads.

iPad 2

The anticipated discontinuation of the iPad 2 aligns with a prediction made by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities last November. He revealed that Apple was set to ship just 0.3 million iPad 2 units in the current quarter, suggesting to him that the product is nearing end-of-life.

Still, after nearly three years on the market, the iPad 2 has been a smash success for Apple in its long stay on the market. One study published late last year suggested the iPad 2 remained the company's most popular tablet in use, accounting for some 38 percent of units in the wild before the debut of the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini.

When it launched in 2011, the iPad 2 represented a major redesign from the first-generation model, which was immediately discontinued. The second-generation tablet was also the first to sport compatibility with Apple's magnetic Smart Cover, the first to be offered in white in addition to black, and the first to feature a forward facing FaceTime camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89

I still have mine. Runs iOS 7 great and everything I throw at it runs beautifully. 

It was and still is a great device. 

• Reply 2 of 89
    It was my understanding that the iPad 2 was still extremely popular with business customers. Does this mean that they are finally moving on to the iPad Air?
  • Reply 3 of 89
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Isn't the non-retina iPad mini the same, speed-wise?
  • Reply 4 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the iPad 2 was still extremely popular with business customers. Does this mean that they are finally moving on to the iPad Air?

I get lost in all the version, but isn't there still a retina iPad 2 or was that dropped for the Air?
  • Reply 5 of 89
    The iPad2 was very popular in point of sales setups and kiosks. I know a lot of businesses that use them for small advertising billboards.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I get lost in all the version, but isn't there still a retina iPad 2 or was that dropped for the Air?

There was the new retina "iPad" which was called the iPad 3 by the public. It was discontinued in favor of the iPad 4 which was discontinued for the iPad Air.

• Reply 7 of 89
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    My wife still loves here iPad 2, although I intend on giving her an iPad air for her birthday in 2 weeks. I will probably cascade the 2 to a family member.

The folks at Fiksu provide hourly updates on the iOS market, looking at activity filters to identify unique devices. http://www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c-Usage-Tracker

For today at 10 EST, they show the iPad2 having a 31.9% share of active iPad users. This is down from 39.2% back 104 days ago when the iPad Air and iPad Retina Mini were released. Here are the current percentages of the products being currently sold:
    iPad Air 9.1%, iPad Retina Mini 3.2%, original iPad Mini 21.9%, and the iPad2 @31.9%.

Note that the two new devices have capture 12.3% of all iPad users in just over 3 months.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Yes, the iPad 2 has been very popular by enterprise customers as well as educational institutions. Only the 16GB model of the iPad 2 is being sold at this point, and the vastly superior iPad Air is only a hundred dollars more.

If Apple reduces the price of the current Air model by a hundred dollars when they release the next full-sized iPad, then there would be no hiccup in providing a suitable model at the $400 price point.

The iPad 2 end-of-life would likely occur when the next-generation iPads are released, not sooner though. 

• Reply 9 of 89

It't time they discontinue the 30 pin line and move to Lightning. Will be interesting whether they still continue with the 30 pin iPod Classic.

• Reply 10 of 89
    I just replaced the original iPad my 2 daughters have been using for awhile now w/a Retina Mini 32GB. Huge upgrade and it's definitely easier for them to both cart around, especially my 5 year old. Full apple case on both the original and this one. They treat the iPads very well.
  • Reply 11 of 89

Well, duh. And?

• Reply 12 of 89
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mpantone wrote: »
    If Apple reduces the price of the current Air model by a hundred dollars when they release the next full-sized iPad
    Um, the Air is the FULL-SIZED iPad. If anything, this hints at a large iPad on the horizon, allowing them to drop the Air down to the iPad 2s price while offering the larger screen for the same iPad price point.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    Well, duh. And?

And this story is exclusive, because when you're able to buy one it is an exclusive.

Joking aside, I'll never understand why the 2nd gen was a success. I mean, there weren't any usable tablets until Apple released theirs the year before. Did so many people either hold out for the 2nd gen or upgraded their 1st gen?
  • Reply 14 of 89

Apple always moving fwd. Good for them! :)

Best

• Reply 15 of 89
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Did so many people either hold out for the 2nd gen or upgraded their 1st gen?

That’s exactly it. I remember the “I’ll wait for the second one” talk all over forums from back then. It being thinner and lighter probably helped out the general person brigade, too.

• Reply 16 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    There was the new retina "iPad" which was called the iPad 3 by the public. It was discontinued in favor of the iPad 4 which was discontinued for the iPad Air.

You lost me after "iPad ..." :D

I have at least one of every model in my cupboard.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macapfel wrote: »
    It't time they discontinue the 30 pin line and move to Lightning. Will be interesting whether they still continue with the 30 pin iPod Classic.
    I don't see any reason for them to change the Classic until SSD in the same capacity can be sold for the same price. The only thing it currently offers is capacity. And as such is more of a legacy device compared to Apple' current iCloud business model. Despite which, I think Apple realizes there are plenty of situations in which Internet connectivity is not practical. But I see the Classic morphing into more of a Touch device comprised mostly of storage anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 89

Amazing how much better iPad has gotten. At the same time, amazing how many people I know refuse to sell and upgrade because they love whatever iPad they've originally owned. I simply can't convince my wife to sell her iPad 3 while it still has some appreciable value (probably about $275) and get the Air.

• Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Amazing how much better iPad has gotten. At the same time, amazing how many people I know refuse to sell and upgrade because they love whatever iPad they've originally owned. I simply can't convince my wife to sell her iPad 3 while it still has some appreciable value (probably about $275) and get the Air.

My 32GB Wi-Fi iPad 3 is still routinely selling for 3 and 400 on Ebay and Apple only offers $160 on a trade in.  This fall when the next round of iPads come out I may upgrade to a Mini 3.  I tested the hardest to read pdf I own and it was just fine on the smaller screen of the one I bought for my kids

• Reply 20 of 89
    carthusia wrote: »

It's difficult to let go of an iPad. I've got my eye on a potentially larger future iPad for pro apps, but right now I can't imagine letting go of my iPad 3.