Briefly: Apple takes 30th anniversary Mac homepage, mini-site international

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
As part of a continued celebration of the Mac's 30th anniversary, Apple is launching localized versions of the "Mac 30" homepage and corresponding mini-site to its international websites, the latest debut being Japan.

Mac 30

First spotted by Japanese language Apple blog Kodawarisan, Japan's version of the 30th anniversary Mac homepage went up on Saturday local time and features the same in-depth treatment of Apple's game-changing computer.

The webpage and associated content are identical to the original English language versions first launched at the end of January in the U.S. and other major markets. All text has been translated, while region-appropriate subtitles are now embedded in the promotional "Mac 30" video.

Other Asian countries are also included in the 30th anniversary celebration, such as China and South Korea, though other markets like Thailand and Vietnam have yet to see similar treatment.

Apple's commemorative mini-site features an interactive timeline chronicling the evolution of Mac hardware and the machine's effect on the world. Users are encouraged to share their own Mac story by filling out a short form asking which model was their first and for what purpose it was used. The data is compiled and presented as an interactive graphic.

The company also released a promotional video titled "1.24.14" in early February. As noted in a "behind the scenes" video documenting the shoot, "1.24.14" combines iPhone 5s footage taken on Jan. 24 -- the exact date on which the first Mac launched in 1984 -- from 15 different locations spread across 10 countries on 5 continents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

I loved that Steve J. never really looked back on things too much.

Why is this the 30th anniversary of the Mac that started everything? Didn't it start with the the first Apple computer?

Anyway, let's all stop talking about past (TIM COOK) and just stop talking and cranking stuff out.

Push the boundaries.

I was always surprised and amazed by what Steve did (allowed to happen). Just push the boundaries.

Fix Mavericks

Fix iOS 7

Fix crap and stop talking about how great things are at Apple and how "perfect" Apple is. 

And stop talking trash (publicly) about Android (which is sucky)

• Reply 2 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Have some cheese.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pfisher wrote: »

Why is this the 30th anniversary of the Mac that started everything? Didn't it start with the the first Apple computer?

Anyway, let's all stop talking about past (TIM COOK) and just stop talking and cranking stuff out.

Push the boundaries.

I was always surprised and amazed by what Steve did (allowed to happen). Just push the boundaries.

Fix Mavericks
    Fix iOS 7

Fix crap and stop talking about how great things are at Apple and how "perfect" Apple is. 

"Why is this the 30th anniversary . . . rant . . . rant . . . "

People who are ignorant of history are not allowed to tell others to ignore history. A rule of life.

Also, check your post history. I've noticed you have an unnatural fetish for the word "suck." Tacky trolling. I would withhold your pay.
  • Reply 4 of 10

Push the boundaries.

Fix Mavericks
    Fix iOS 7

Steve Jobs talked about the past all the time. The only time he didn't was when it made it Apple look bad or made him look bad, which pretty much means the entirety span of his departure from Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Amazed they didn't have this in on all of their international sites (especially the English speaking ones) from day 1. Very sloppy.
  • Reply 6 of 10

Personally I'm just glad that Apple didn't introduce a 30th Anniversary iMac…

…though, on reflection, the 20th Anniversary Mac does kinda look like a precursor to today's iMacs.

• Reply 7 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Personally I'm just glad that Apple didn't introduce a 30th Anniversary iMac…

<p style="margin-left:40px;">…though, on reflection, the 20th Anniversary Mac does kinda look like a precursor to today's iMacs.</p>

Just an FYI, because I had certainly forgotten until I was coincidentally look up the TAM yesterday, the TAM was the 20th Anniversary of Apple, not the 20th Anniversary of the Mac, which has only 12-13 years old at the time. Don't you feel old now? I do.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Push the boundaries.

Fix Mavericks
    Fix iOS 7

Tell me, while his second time around at Apple, how many innovative products did Steve Jobs pump out at Apple? Next tell me how many years in between each of those products.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Steve Jobs talked about the past all the time.
    The only time I ever recall Jobs talking about the past was when he was telling people he didn't want to talk about the past. Maybe if you refresh my memory ...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The only time I ever recall Jobs talking about the past was when he was telling people he didn't want to talk about the past. Maybe if you refresh my memory ...

Sure.

On a more superficial and subtle level, of which there are countless examples, here is Jobs mentioning the QT update is the most major update in the last decade and talking about H.264 as coming from the guys that brought us MPEG-2 used in DVDs which are two references to something in the past.

On a very deep and personal level he waxes nostalgic about Apple Computer, Inc. and Cupertino, even mentioning the original address and talking about calling Bill Hewlett at age 13.

But I wasn't talking about that when referring to talking about the past; I was referring to things specific to Apple during all their keynotes to demonstrate how Apple has improved YoY, QoQ, or Release-over-Release in revenue, profits, units, customers, etc, or showing Apple's previous successes.

• (In the first example, Jobs shows a graph of Apple's Mac sales dropping year-over-year and what he's going to do to correct these past mistakes)
    • (On the 2007 announcement of the iPhone he first should the Mac and iPod in a list of revolutionary products from Apple)
    • (Showing Mac OS X for the first time and shows the original Mac GUI and various Windows UIs to visually demonstrate how modern it is)
    • (In 1997 Jobs talks about Tim Berners Lee creating the WWW using a NeXTSTEP)

Again, when it makes Apple and Jobs look good he had no problem talking about it, but when it didn't he didn't, but with so much positive history it was mentioned all the time. This pretty much means nothing from Apple between the time he left Apple until he returned unless he was showing how much he has improved Apple, but these seem to have stopped in the few years after returning to the helm.

Also, If you pull up the lengthy Q&A sessions he used to do you'll see that he talked about the past quite a bit, but that's probably because those people were constantly forcing him go there in order to answer their question.