Fitness smartwatch firm Basis Science reportedly in buyout talks with Apple, others

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Basis Science, makers of the Basis Health Tracker Watch, is reportedly up for sale and has been discussing buyout deals with big-name tech companies like Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft.

Basis

According to sources familiar with the matter, Basis has been actively seeking a buyer for its health tracking smartwatch business over the "past few weeks" and has talked with Apple, Google and possibly others about an acquisition, reports TechCrunch.

Basis is supposedly shooting for a "sub-hundred million" dollar price target, which narrows down potential buyers to a select few with deep pockets and serious interest in entering the health tracking device market. Barring a buyout, Basis could go for round C funding, the people said.

As for the product itself, the Basis Health Tracker Watch is loaded with sensors to keep track of a user's heart rate, motion, calorie expenditure, sleep cycle and changes in skin temperature and perspiration level. An app manages the raw data and allows for deeper metrics analysis compared to competing devices.

Apple is widely rumored to be working on a so-called "iWatch" that some believe will incorporate health-monitoring functions similar to those included in the Basis product. The Cupertino, Calif., company has been on a hiring spree over the past months, snapping up new hires with backgrounds in medical sensors and health technology.

Google, too, has been rumored to be eyeing an entry into the wearables sector with its own smartwatch device, though not much is known about the product's specs or capabilities. It has been speculated that the Internet search giant could be angling for an entry into the mobile hardware sector with a Google branded wearable.

While Apple and Google were named as front-runners in the reported Basis buy, Samsung and Microsoft may also be interested, sources said. Samsung could be looking to bolster sales of its Galaxy Gear smartwatch, which has seen lackluster sales, while Microsoft's intentions are largely unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    ``Someone must love me! Really love me! Please? Okay listen up folks, we got steamin' hot watches that need to go before we go belly up. Know what I mean, Jean?''
  • Reply 2 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Selling before the storm hits. :)

• Reply 3 of 40
    In many ways this does seem right up Apple's street, or at least the rumours of what Apple is working on.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38505/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

On the pros side the silver and black view from the top doesn't look have bad and I like what appear to be the always-on sensors, the motion sensor that will turn the display on when it senses when you're lifting to check the time, and 4-day battery life to start.

On the cons side it's extremely thick, recommends against using when you swim (even though they show an image of a guy surfing), and only has BT2.1.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38506/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 4 of 40
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    If the price is right, this will be a good buy for Apple, considering all the rumors about "iWatch".
  • Reply 5 of 40
    They see the steamroller coming, and would like to be invited on-board instead of crushed under the front.

Seriously, it looks like it would be dumb for Apple to buy these guys, Apple would just be buying their engineers/programmers because their watch would be redesigned from scratch. And their design doesn't exactly scream "Apple", so what's the point?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

If the price is right, this will be a good buy for Apple, considering all the rumors about "iWatch".

If Basis Science had anything to offer, including patents, I think Apple would have bought them already. Now that all the talk about the iWatch involves health monitoring, I expect Samsung to buy BS (gee, how appropriate :D ) and reissue their device as Heath Gear and declare to the world that they are the leaders in innovation.

• Reply 7 of 40
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Apple clearly don't need this company and what they have to offer.
    I'm pretty sure the I watch design is already locked in.

This is just a company being clever and trying to get out before Apple becomes a competitor and makes the company worthless. Some company who was caught out and is behind but wants to compete in this area might be interested.
  • Reply 8 of 40

It looks like Apple is unable to develop such technology, therefore buying other companies is the way to do it. The so-called smart watch is now way behind schedule compared with the competition.

• Reply 9 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    I expect Samsung to buy BS (gee, how appropriate :D  ) and reissue their device as Heath Gear and declare to the world that they are the leaders in innovation.

1) As others have eluded I think Basis wants out but I question these reported talks with Apple. If I were running the company I might leak such info because Apple's name means instant and widespread exposure, but would expect someone else like Samsung or Google to buy me out.

2) I think Samsung will have to buy Swatch so they don't have any trademark issues with their S-Watch brand¡
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

They see the steamroller coming, and would like to be invited on-board instead of crushed under the front.

Seriously, it looks like it would be dumb for Apple to buy these guys, Apple would just be buying their engineers/programmers because their watch would be redesigned from scratch. And their design doesn't exactly scream "Apple", so what's the point?

Are you coming to kill me, K-K-K-Ken?

• Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

It looks like Apple is unable to develop such technology, therefore buying other companies is the way to do it. The so-called smart watch is now way behind schedule compared with the competition.

Keep telling yourself that. There is no competition for what Apple is going to introduce ... doing innovation right takes time, and is usually worth the wait. Apple will introduce a product that will make people's lives a little better, not just pass on phone notifications.

• Reply 12 of 40
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Buying them now will be a better deal than dealing with costy lawsuits later on.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    BS: Yeah, I'm thinking of a number that is sub-hundred million...what number are you thinking?

TC: I'm thinking, do you have change for a Benjamin?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) I think Samsung will have to buy Swatch so they don't have any trademark issues with their S-Watch brand¡

Swatch Group is worth about $35 Billion and Nicolas Hayek is the "Steve Jobs" of the Swiss watch industry.

Not going to happen.

The Swatch Group Ltd engages in the design, manufacture, distribution, and sale of finished watches, jewelry, and watch movements and components worldwide. It operates in three segments: Watches and Jewelry, Production, and Electronic Systems. The Watches and Jewelry segment offers finished watches and jewelry. The Production segment manufactures watches, watch movements, and jewelry. The Electronic Systems segment is involved in the design, production, and commercialization of electronic components for watchmaking and other industries. The company offers its watch and jewelry products under the Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Tiffany & Co., Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, ck watch & jewelry, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Swatch, Flik Flak, and Endura brand names. It also supplies movements and components to third-party watchmakers. The company distributes its products through a distribution network or agents; through its network of Tourbillon name multibrand watch and jewelry boutiques, and monobrand stores; and through its e-commerce sites. The Swatch Group Ltd. is headquartered in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland.

• Reply 15 of 40
    ...while Microsoft's intentions are largely unknown.

To not look like you're falling behind.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    peter236 wrote: »

Apple is never first to market.
    Not music players
    Not online music store
    Not web browsers
    Not video editors
    Not phones
    Not tablets
    Not streaming TV boxes

Everyone else got there first.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple is never first to market.

Not music players

Not online music store

Not web browsers

Not video editors

Not phones

Not tablets

Not streaming TV boxes

Everyone else got there first.

64bit Smartphone and tablet.

• Reply 18 of 40
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Get serious !! Phones were pretty dumb , before the iPhone . it was a new way of thinking , that's why every one copied it . . . Apple making credible products fact!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by comley View Post

Get serious !! Phones were pretty dumb , before the iPhone . it was a new way of thinking , that's why every one copied it . . . Apple making credible products fact!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that what Suddenly Newton was trying to say was that even though Apple can't claim to be first to market with many of their products, when they finally did enter the market, it's been a resounding success, so it's not really all that big a deal if somebody else gets there "first".
  • Reply 20 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Apple could be interested in the IP and the brains behind the company. What the watch looks like now matters little.