Latest additions to Apple TV development team to focus on third-party channels, content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Though the Apple TV does not yet have an official App Store, Apple continues to expand the content available on its set-top box with new channels from third-party content providers, while behind the scenes it is hiring new personnel to ensure those partners are providing end users with the best possible experiences.

Apple TV

Apple's efforts to ensure that streaming video content from third-party providers on the Apple TV remains of the highest possible quality have led the company to advertise a handful of new positions on its development team this week. Two positions in particular discovered by AppleInsider show Apple's extensive quality assurance efforts with regard to smoothly streaming video around the world.

The first position for an Apple TV "Content Partner Engineer" seeks a candidate who will "provide technical support to external vendors as they integrate their content" on the company's set-top box. This person will evaluate partners' video streams, and serve as a liaison to Apple's own internal video groups to help fix issues.

Apple's efforts go beyond picture quality, however, as this person will also need to review the user experience on third-party Apple TV channels. Together with Apple's internal design teams, they will provide feedback to these partners on their Apple TV apps.Efforts to bolster the Apple TV team come as Apple is believed to be working on a greatly enhanced next-generation version of its set-top box.

The candidate will also solicit feedback from vendors as to potential future features that could be included on the Apple TV platform. And the liaison will also report vendor progress and track issues until they are resolved.

The second opening for a "Software QA Engineer" on the Apple TV team requires a person who can work with both third-party content providers and Apple's own engineers to "diagnose defects in content and software."

Also hinting at expanded third-party support is another newly-advertised position by the iTunes Store Apps project management team, which seeks an "exceptional software project manager to join the Apple TV team." This "Engineering Project Manager" will be expected to coordinate among not only the Apple TV team, but also with external software and hardware engineering teams.

Finally, a trio of other Apple TV software engineer positions were also listed by Apple in late January. While those listings offered fewer specifics on what the roles might entail, they still suggest that the company is looking to bolster Apple's living room presence, which has famously been upgraded from a "hobby" to an area of "intense interest."

Just last week, Bloomberg reported that a new Apple TV is set to be unveiled in April, though the publication suggested that the device may not actually hit the market until this fall. A months-long wait between the product's announcement and actual launch would be reminiscent of both the first iPhone and the first iPad, which were unveiled well before their actual sale date.

If the report proves accurate, it would suggest that the next Apple TV is a greatly changed platform from the current set-top box -- one which may require months of time for third-party developers to craft their own applications for the new device.

Another report from January suggested that a third-party App Store and Bluetooth game controller support could come to the Apple TV as soon as this spring. Such features could theoretically be capable with the current-generation Apple TV, though it is limited with just 8 gigabytes of internal storage.

Observers have big expectations for Apple as 2014 continues, with rumors of a new Apple TV and a so-called "iWatch" gaining steam over the past few weeks. Earlier this month, AppleInsider discovered a reference to "new platforms as of now unannounced" in an Apple job listing for a new engineer, suggesting the company is working on an entirely new platform beyond the iPhone, iPad and Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43

If AppleTV is ever going to act as a gaming device, won't it need a hard drive to store content?

• Reply 2 of 43
    If AppleTV is ever going to act as a gaming device, won't it need a hard drive to store content?

I don't think so. The iPhone and iPad are popular gaming devices that don't have HDDs. Even the largest games seems to be barely hit 1GB and since you can re-download anything you want and have your app usage saved via iCloud (assuming the developer is using that API) I think you will be alright. But lets say that games do get larger and you want more locally, I'd think Apple would have realized that and offered more than just a 16GB Apple TV for sale. Perhaps going as large as 128GB like in the iPads.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Please please please let this be true so that the Apple TV can be more relevant to countries other than the States. Most of the content we CAN get here in NZ isn't that relevant to us so having a system where TVNZ and TV3 can create apps for the Apple TV would be great for us rather than watching it on iPad (their content can't be transferred to the Apple TV due to "licensing" issues) or watching on the Mac which requires Flash.

I don't think it needs to become a gaming platform though. It just needs to have a more reliable connection to the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    No reason Apple couldn't do what Netflix did and get shows like House of cards, or Orange is the new Black as iTunes content exclusives.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think so. The iPhone and iPad are popular gaming devices that don't have HDDs. Even the largest games seems to be barely hit 1GB and since you can re-download anything you want and have your app usage saved via iCloud (assuming the developer is using that API) I think you will be alright. But lets say that games do get larger and you want more locally, I'd think Apple would have realized that and offered more than just a 16GB Apple TV for sale. Perhaps going as large as 128GB like in the iPads.

If it proves popular enough, you better believe Apple would jump at the opportunity to up charge customers $100/per model as it goes to 16, 32, 64, and 128 GB.

If an 8 GB AppleTV is $99...then it stands to reason that 16 GB would $199, and so on. At least, it stands to reason in Apple land where flash storage is apparently worth that much.

• Reply 6 of 43
    gwmac wrote: »
    No reason Apple couldn't do what Netflix did and get shows like House of cards, or Orange is the new Black as iTunes content exclusives.

Hulu and Amazon are also creating content.
  • Reply 7 of 43

This article gives me hope...I think it is inline with what we expect. Apple has brought some people on board as "Developer Counselors"...people who will work with individual developers (aka the Content Providers, The Networks, The Studios) once the SDK opens up in April.

Because unlike other iOS devices, Apple can't just introduce an SDK and say go nuts, submit your apps. To a degree they can, but the AppleTV UI will need to be preserved and developers will need coaching on doing it the way Apple wants it done. Separately they will need people to help work the licensing agreements for apps like NBC, etc. that govern how this content will be protected/distributed.

Basically, exactly what they have done all along with AppleTV...but on a wider scale, as it will be open to all comers, and not just invite only.

• Reply 8 of 43
    gwmac wrote: »

There isn't much a company as wealthy as Apple couldn't do but I don't see Apple ever making that a part of their business.

Please please please let this be true so that the Apple TV can be more relevant to countries other than the States. Most of the content we CAN get here in NZ isn't that relevant to us so having a system where TVNZ and TV3 can create apps for the Apple TV would be great for us rather than watching it on iPad (their content can't be transferred to the Apple TV due to "licensing" issues) or watching on the Mac which requires Flash.

I don't think it needs to become a gaming platform though. It just needs to have a more reliable connection to the iPad.

I think that's a good argument for expanding the Apple TV capabilities.

pmz wrote: »
    If it proves popular enough, you better believe Apple would jump at the opportunity to up charge customers $100/per model as it goes to 16, 32, 64, and 128 GB.

If an 8 GB AppleTV is $99...then it stands to reason that 16 GB would $199, and so on. At least, it stands to reason in Apple land where flash storage is apparently worth that much.

I really hope that we'll see a capacity doubling at the current price-points this year.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am enjoying watching the ATV platform develop. I am using it more and more, though only iTunes, Netflix and Youtube / Vimeo. I also stream content via Airplay quite a bit - the rest is just noise for me. All the third party subscription based content apps are too niche. Perhaps great for a dedicated subset as in some sports, but the NHL app which would be interesting has image quality on par with VHS of old which is not great for hockey. The fact that you are not allowed to watch local games renders the service pretty much useless for 90% of the potential user base. ATV is great and definitely the future of TV, but its a looong way to go yet.
  • Reply 10 of 43
  • Reply 11 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Is that 'end of discussion'? Now that you have become a Mogul Gaberator (even if self appointed) I am guessing you are qualified to finalize threads as you see fit? 

• Reply 12 of 43
    The 2006 Apple TV 1 did have storage, 160 gb, if you went for the big boy expensive model. These run on Tiger and, despite the growing lack of app and repository support for ATV1, still sell remarkably well on eBay. All you need to is swap the AirPort card for a Broadcom chip and you have 1080 storage, though you'll need a dedicated AE for wireless, but that's no big deal. Mine's now in a box on the shelf, but only because last year I got tired of the non-support issues and bought a couple of ATV2s, jail broke them and now stream away better than ever.
  • Reply 13 of 43

The iPhone and iPad are popular gaming devices that don't have HDDs. 

You know what he means. “Hard drive” will be in standard use DECADES after there are no manufacturers of spinning discs. Like how the 3.5” floppy will be the “save” icon for the next few centuries.

Something more than the 8GB NAND chip used to cache a single movie file currently.

…re-download…

And that’s the thing. The world doesn’t consist of gigabit per second Internet, nor will it ever unless the telecoms are surgically removed from government. No one wants to redownload something every time they want to play it, and Apple builds an experience based on instantaneousness. Sitting for a half hour while a game redownloads (after only two other video views, as it has been pushed out of the device’s cache) is unacceptable.

That’s why I think games directly on the device are unacceptable, since they don’t seem to want to go back to internal storage.

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Is that 'end of discussion'? Now that you have become a Mogul Gaberator (even if self appointed) I am guessing you are qualified to finalize threads as you see fit? 

He probably double posted. His user title is a joke and reflects nothing upon his ability or desire to moderate the forums.

• Reply 14 of 43

Two important things nobody is talking about:

1.  Price of this next gen Apple TV ( is it going to be same or higher)

2. Remote control that comes with Apple TV ( same as current one or improved)

:)

• Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The world doesn’t consist of gigabit per second Internet, nor will it ever unless the telecoms are surgically removed from government. No one wants to redownload something every time they want to play it, and Apple builds an experience based on instantaneousness. Sitting for a half hour while a game redownloads (after only two other video views, as it has been pushed out of the device’s cache) is unacceptable.

You obviously haven't visited Chattanooga which has the fastest internet in the country and is run by the government. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/which-city-has-the-fastest-internet-in-the-nation/

This shows what is possible with planning, competent people in charge, and the financial backing. 

• Reply 16 of 43
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You obviously haven't visited Chattanooga which has the fastest internet in the country and is run by the government.

Guess Apple will be offering free Apple TVs if you move to one of two cities in the country where that ecosystem works¡

• Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

Two important things nobody is talking about:

1.  Price of this next gen Apple TV ( is it going to be same or higher)

2. Remote control that comes with Apple TV ( same as current one or improved)

:)

1. $99

2. Same.

Apple can't afford to raise the price of an AppleTV, as the introduction of Apps and Subscriptions galore means a lot more In-App Purchase on the AppleTV. That model isn't really conducive to a likewise increasing device cost.

And I doubt Apple is going to include anything more than a $19 remote for the AppleTV. No matter what more they were to try and build (ie. fancy siri bluetooth remotes that silly people have postulated), it will be inferior to an iPhone or iPad as an AppleTV remote. I think Apple could do much better with the Remote.app for iOS, but that would be all that's needed.

Beyond that...MFI controllers are simple software unlock away from working with the next AppleTV. I'm sure that's a given for these plans.

• Reply 18 of 43

I wish Apple would roll out a better UI for AppleTV soon. It has become quite cluttered.

• Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess Apple will be offering free Apple TVs if you move to one of two cities in the country where that ecosystem works¡

You blamed the government for slow internet and said they had to be "surgically removed"  and I pointed out the government in Chattanooga was able to deliver the fastest internet in the country. Nice job at trying to weasel out and change the subject. Not to mention it was the government in countries like Japan, South Korea, and many European countries that also pushed though FTTH and made that possible. 

• Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Yes. 128GB flash drive might do it.