Apple and Samsung fail to reach settlement agreement ahead of patent trial, still willing to talk

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
In a court document jointly filed to the District Court for the Northern District of California late Friday, Apple and Samsung reported mediation talks had failed, but noted both parties are willing to continue discussions ahead of a patent trial scheduled to begin at the end of March.

Galaxy Nexus

According to the filing, the parties sent high-level executives to a "full-day negotiation session" during the first week of February, but failed to reach an agreement over what will be the companies' second high-profile patent trial in California.

As reported in January, Apple and Samsung had agreed to settlement talks at the behest of presiding Judge Lucy Koh.

In attendance for Apple were CEO Tim Cook, SVP and General Counsel Bruce Sewell, VP and Chief Litigation Counsel Noreen Krall and VP and Chief IP Counsel BJ Watrous. Samsung sent CEO of IT and Mobile Communications JK Shin, Head of IP Dr. Seung-Ho Ahn, VP and Head of U.S. IP Ken Korea, Executive VP and CFO of Mobile Communications HK Park, SVP and Head of Licensing Injung Lee and VP and Head of Licensing for Mobile Communications James Kwak.

The filing notes that representatives from both sides had spoken with a neutral mediator multiple times since the initial session in a bid to advance settlement efforts. Apple is reported to have held teleconference calls more than six times, while Samsung made similar efforts more than four times.

Apple and Samsung held identical last-minute settlement negotiations before the first Apple v. Samsung jury trial in 2012. The outcome was similar to that of the recent discussions.

While an amicable settlement could not be reached, the parties remain willing to continue talks through the mediator as a second two-way California patent trial approaches. Apple is asserting five patents against ten Samsung products, while the Korean tech giant is asserting four claims against ten Apple products. Proceedings are set to begin on Mar. 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Apple wants a anti-cloning clause and Samsung refuses...Cloning is samsungs cash cow.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Just use that cash hoard to obliterate scamsuck, please. In memory of Steve. Just do it already.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Samsung failed to reach an agreement with Apple in an attempt to look legit.

Apple failed to reach an agreement with Samsung because they don't have to.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Once again, when given the option to go the high or the low road, Samsung chooses the low road.
  • Reply 5 of 31

Apple   2013-Q1 $57.6 billion revenue, $13.1 billion net profit, 51 mill.iPhones, 26 mill.iPads, 4.8 million Macs Sold 

2012-Q1 $54.5 billion revenue, $13.1 billion net profit, 47.8 mill.iPhones, 22.9 mill.iPads, 4.1 million Macs Sold      

Samsung 2013-Q4 $54.95 billion revenue, $7.7 billion net profit, Lamps, CassettePhones, CDPlayers, Flashlights, SmartDildos,

2012-Q4 $52.04 billion revenue, $8.27 billion net profit, Non-Smartphones, Smartphones, Phablets, Non-SmartTV's

Google  2013-Q4 $16.86 billion revenue, $3.38 billion billion net profit, 

2012-Q4 $14.4 billion revenue, $2.89 billion net profit 

Samsung why din't you accept the deal? if Apple tells you to dance.. you dance!

• Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Just use that cash hoard to obliterate scamsuck, please. In memory of Steve. Just do it already.

Apple should use their $140,000,000,000.00 to sue Google.  They can't let Google get away with stealing Android from Apple.  Android is a stolen OS.

• Reply 7 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sudonym wrote: »
    Apple should use their $140,000,000,000.00 to sue Google.  They can't let Google get away with stealing Android from Apple.  Android is a stolen OS.

I didn't know Apple made Android.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I didn't know Apple made Android.

thats not what the post you quoted implied... android was changed to be just like iOS. Don't even fucking try to deny it

• Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

Apple wants a anti-cloning clause and Samsung refuses...Cloning is samsungs cash cow.

no doubt. I have said it before. Samscum has NEVER EVER introduced anything to the world that wasn't a "me too' product. They suck too much to create or innovate.

Toaster----been done

Fridge---done

vacuum cleaner---done

phones---done

Face it Samscum-you suck and always will.

• Reply 10 of 31

Andy Rubin prefers to think Apple didn't invent anything, ever, therefore, he is free to "not gonna ship that phone" and ship a shallow copy of the first iPhone, minus the concessions they made to placate a furious Steve Jobs.

Oh Andy Andy.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thats not what the post you quoted implied... android was changed to be just like iOS. Don't even fucking try to deny it

Watch your mouth, there's no need for that language. If one's writing can be misconstrued then it was written wrong. The OP should have written 'stole the idea for Android', that's a big difference from what he/she wrote.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple: stop cloning our products
    Sammy: what if we clone half of them
    Apple: no cloning
    Sammy: what about just a qtr of...
    Apple: no
    Sammy: no deal!
  • Reply 13 of 31

whatever, don't be disingenuous. It really doesn't take much intelligence to understand what was said. 

And if you don't like my mouth, why don't you try to shut it up?

• Reply 14 of 31
    whatever, don't be disingenuous. It really doesn't take much intelligence to understand what was said. 

Ooooo big tough guy on the internet. The intelligence of the posters on this site has gone considerably down. Just see how many write 'loose' for 'lose'.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

Quote:

Ooooo big tough guy on the internet. The intelligence of the posters on this site has gone considerably down. Just see how many write 'loose' for 'lose'.

Both of you relax! take a deep breath say **** Samsung and then release it, you will feel so much better take the pressure out 

• Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Watch your mouth, there's no need for that language. If one's writing can be misconstrued then it was written wrong. The OP should have written 'stole the idea for Android', that's a big difference from what he/she wrote.

Android is a stolen OS, and I hoe that Apple spends every penny it has in the bank to right this wrong by suing Google into submission.

• Reply 17 of 31
    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

take a deep breath say **** Samsung and then release it, you will feel so much better

Part of Steve Jobs’ meditation ritual every morning.

• Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Android is a stolen OS, and I hoe that Apple spends every penny it has in the bank to right this wrong by suing Google into submission.

Why would you want them to spend all their money? Surely you'd want them to spend nothing but bring a lawsuit which is undefeatable.

Regardless, nobody seems to want to list things Google stole other than pinch to zoom and slide to unlock. I think Apple lost the patent on one of those but then that was also overturned? I haven't kept up with that news but if there's more on the 'stolen list' then please do let me know.

• Reply 19 of 31

In order for it to be a 'stolen OS' all the code would need to be exactly the same. What could be considered stolen was the 'idea' for a touchscreen OS especially since Android was well into being developed for devices with a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Hmmm... Someone appointed you as an Ombudsman!?