Disney Movies Anywhere allows users to bypass Apple's store for iTunes content, comes with free movi

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2014
iOS device owners interested in keeping and viewing their catalog of digital Disney movies all in one place, as well as buying new titles through Apple without even needing to launch the iTunes Store, can download the new, free Disney Movies Anywhere application, which comes with a free digital copy of Pixar's "The Incredibles."

Disney

Disney Movies Anywhere debuted on the iOS App Store Tuesday morning, allowing users to stream Disney, Pixar and Movie digital movies at home or on the go. The application allows users to browse and buy from an extensive catalogue of titles under the umbrella of the Walt Disney Company.

The application is particularly noteworthy because it allows users to not only purchase, but also to view their iTunes Store content without actually needing to visit the iTunes Store, or use a native application for viewing content like Apple's Videos app.

Of course, even though Disney Movies Anywhere doesn't require users to launch the iTunes Store, the content is still being purchased through Apple, which means the company still receives its share of all content purchased through native applications on iOS devices.

Users must create a Disney account upon first launching the application. Once they are signed in, it will prompt them to connect their iTunes account to sync eligible Disney and Marvel movies. Agreeing to do so launches the iTunes Store with a "Connect Accounts" prompt that users must agree to by entering their iTunes password.

Disney

With Disney Movies Anywhere, users can choose from a library of hundreds of videos, with more titles promised soon. Disney digital copies that accompany physical disc purchases can also be redeemed through the application.

Users who download the application and link their iTunes account will receive a free copy of "The Incredibles," Pixar's critically acclaimed animated feature first released in 2004. That movie regularly sells for $19.99 in high definition on the iTunes Store.

Disney's new application also offers exclusive content, including original programming and never-before-seen videos. Users can also stream movies, or download them for offline viewing. And Disney Movie Rewards points are offered for every digital transaction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59

The app isn't yet available in the UK app store

• Reply 2 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple buys Disney?
  • Reply 3 of 59
    I wonder if Disney content purchases can be authorized using Touch ID. If I remember correctly, Disney/ABC was one of the first (if not the first) movie studios to offer movies via iTunes then TV shows via iTunes. It would only fitting if Disney was the first business to use Touch ID via iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I wish Disney would sell there movies in bundles.  Would love a marvel bundle to get all iron man, Thor, captain America and avengers movies.

and I dont see this app in Canada.

• Reply 5 of 59
    Wish Disney could let you pay a certain amount for unlimited streaming on the site.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Movies as in-app purchases?
  • Reply 7 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple buys Disney?

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but Apple doesn't have the cash to buy Disney.

• Reply 8 of 59
    Actually Apple does have the money. Disneys market cap is 140 billion.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This would never have happened if Incrediboy was still alive...
  • Reply 10 of 59
    gtr wrote: »
    This would never have happened if Incrediboy was still alive...

Didn't listen to the age old rule of super hero costumes: No capes!
  • Reply 11 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ireland wrote: »
    I know you're probably being sarcastic<span style="line-height:1.4em;">, but Apple doesn't have the cash to buy Disney.</span>

Not that they's want to but thy probably could, for cash, so long as Disney didn't mind a good chunk of that cash being paid to them in Ireland. :D
  • Reply 12 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nice idea. So it's really a store within a store.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Anyone else getting. 'Unable to connect accounts '?
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Anyone else getting. 'Unable to connect accounts '?

Mine went through ok. 

• Reply 16 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    So much for 'one world'

Nope, just a 'small world' with obvious boundaries :lol:
  • Reply 17 of 59
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Between this and the WWE app, we're seeing test pieces of AppleTv come together
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Between this and the WWE app, we're seeing test pieces of AppleTv come together

I agree. Maybe a March Apple TV that supports iTunes Extras.

Haven't seen it listed here, but wanted to provide some feedback.

I had stopped buying Disney BDs because the Digital Copies were SD. Sadly (ok, not really, but a "oh, boo" thought), that meant no more Disney Movie Rewards. You just didn't get any with iTunes purchases. Well, this app has done the following.

1. I bought Frozen in iTunes (pre-ordered) and it downloaded this morning, before I knew of this app.

2. Seconds after downloading this app, signing in with my Disney account, linking my iTunes account, I got an email stating 150 Rewards were added to my account for purchasing Frozen. Cool! Nice to have it back.

3. The several movies I had bought on BD that had the SD digital copies? I can delete them all from my iMac, go into iTunes Purchases, and now download the HD versions. All no charge. Sweet!

4. Incredibles is a great movie, but I only had a DVD rip of it, so glad to have it in HD now!

5. All your iCloud Disney/Marvel movies (bought in iTunes or digital copies from discs associated with iTunes) appear in both the Disney App, and in the Videos app on my iPad. Assuming they show as purchased on the Apple TV as well.

• Reply 19 of 59
    ireland wrote: »
    I know you're probably being sarcastic<span style="line-height:1.4em;">, but Apple doesn't have the cash to buy Disney.</span>

Not that they's want to but thy probably could, for cash, so long as Disney didn't mind a good chunk of that cash being paid to them in Ireland. :D

Lest we forget:
    The Steven P. Jobs Trust reported ownership of 138 million common shares of Disney, valued at $4.6 billion at the close of trading yesterday [Nov 23, 2011], according to a 13G regulatory filing. The filing lists Powell Jobs as trustee. A 13G suggests the trust has no intent to influence control of Disney.

Jobs became the biggest shareholder of Burbank, California- based Disney with the 2006 sale of his Pixar computer animation studio to the entertainment and theme-park company for $7.01 billion in stock. The trust gained beneficial ownership of the shares (AAPL) after Jobs died on Oct. 5 at age 56, the filing showed.

Jobs acknowledged investing about $55 million in Pixar, which he bought from “Star Wars” producer George Lucas in 1986. The law offices of Howson & Simon LLP in Walnut Creek, California, were listed as the address of the trust.

Disney, operator of the namesake theme parks, as well as cable networks and ABC television, fell 1.8 percent to $33.40 at the close in New York yesterday. The stock has declined 11 percent this year. Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined 2.5 percent to $366.99.

Under U.S. law, Jobs’s heirs may sell his Apple and Disney shares and avoid taxes on capital gains that accrued up to the time of his death. If Jobs left his estate to his wife, the family won’t be liable for the 35 percent estate tax until she dies or gives money to others, according to estate planners

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-23/steven-jobs-trust-reports-holding-7-7-stake-in-walt-disney-1-.html

Today, DIS is valued at $80.80 -- making Jobs' $7.01 Billion worth $11.1 Billion in the estate.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    philboogie wrote: »
    So much for 'one world'

Hopefully they'll bring this to more regions. I happen to like The Incredibles, I and wouldn't mind getting it free!