If Apple released iMessage for Android my Apple device iMessage experience would be far better.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014

You can bet your bottom dollar any Android user at all clued in would install iMessage. A situation which would allow me to use iMessage exclusively. As it is now I'm juggling about 5 different chat/messaging apps. It's a mess. If Apple is really all about the experience they need to do this. I'm sick of the current situation.

And I don't at all buy the argument that this would result in the sale of less iPhones for Apple because Android users wound't need to buy an Apple product to get access to iMessage, thus forcing Apple's hand. That's a fallacy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can bet your bottom dollar any Android user at all clued in would install iMessage. A situation which would allow me to use iMessage exclusively. As it is now I'm juggling about 5 different chat/messaging apps as it's a mess. If Apple is really all about the experience they need to do this. I'm sick of the current situation.

And I don't at all buy that it would result in the sale of less iPhones for Apple because Android users wound't need to buy an Apple product to get access to iMessage, thus forcing Apple's hand. That's a fallacy.

Why do you think android users would use iMessage instead of them telling you to use gtalk/hangouts? The latter seems to be a lot more widespread, as Google is positioning it as the primary messaging platform for Android, and there are already clients for iOS and any modern web browser. One of the key features of hangouts is support for video conferencing, so to replace hangouts Apple would have to port both iMessage and Facetime. Further, if Apple were to port iMessage to Android, it would presumably also have to upgrade its backend to deal with the additional iMessage traffic. While I don't think an iMessage port would cost iPhone sales, it's not clear to me that the payoff would justify the investment.

• Reply 2 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Why do you think android users would use iMessage over gtalk/hangouts?

I don't necessarily think that, but I do think they would install the app. And as an Apple user using iMessage that's all I need to be able to use iMessage exclusively. It'd be a huge high profile move announced at a big Apple event. Many Android users would install it.

Exclusive use of iMessage and its high quality emoji set? Hold me back.

Quote:

Further, if Apple were to port iMessage to Android, it would presumably also have to upgrade its backend to deal with the additional iMessage traffic.

Apple couldn't do that?

Quote:

While I don't think an iMessage port would cost iPhone sales, it's not clear to me that the payoff would justify the investment.

I'll repeated what I said above, If Apple released iMessage for Android my Apple device iMessage experience would be far better. If Apple is really all about the experience they need to do this. Like it or not this is the world we live in now, and juggling several apps for the one feature is simply not a good experience.