Apple releases iTunes 11.1.5 with fix for device connection issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Apple on Wednesday released a minor update for iTunes, its media and syncing suite, addressing a problem that could occur when a device was plugged into a Mac for syncing.

iTunes

The new update is currently available to download directly from Apple for OS X users. It can also be updated through the Mac App Store.

According to Apple, the update also improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.

The new, minor release comes just over a month after the debut of iTunes 11.1.4, which brought an enhanced Wish List, as well as new language additions. Prior to that, iTunes hadn't seen any software updates released since last November.

iTunes 11.1 debuted alongside the new iOS 7 mobile platform last September, and also added compatibility for Apple's latest handset models, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. That update also introduced new features such as iTunes Radio and Genius Shuffle, marking the last time a significant "point-one" upgrade was issued for iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    undefined
  • Reply 2 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope it also fixes the longstanding issues with videos locking up when using Home Sharing. I've been having to restore my iTunes DB files and reinstall to a version before 11.1.x to get it to work properly.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Does it have the same installer problem as the last iTunes update did on Windows?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5821627?tstart=0

I'd rather not spend 3 days trying to fix my iTunes problems with no help from Apple tech support. They never fixed the previous Windows installer either, just left us out on our own.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    News media better hurry up and start reporting%u2026

Headline tomorrow: "Apple admits MAJOR flaw in iPhone connectivity". lol
  • Reply 5 of 14

I just installed the update on my Macbook Pro (Late 2013). The interesting thing is that I have not had any problems with 11.1.4. But now... The 11.1.5 crashes instantly on startup. Have rebooted three times, tried safe mode, but still the same... Be careful out there...

• Reply 6 of 14
    Apple Software update seems to have updated iTunes on Windows 7 64 bit with no installation problems.

haven't tried sincing yet. 11.1.4 would drop the sinc session halfway through transferring albums.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Got it. Couple of minute project. Works like a charm. Early MBP 2011, Mavericks.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Interesting question.

How many of you install any kind of update while multitasking or still leaving programs open during the install?

I would be curious to know.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gtr wrote: »
    Interesting question.

How many of you install any kind of update while multitasking or still leaving programs open during the install?

I do, if you mean using Software Updater to download the update from Apple's servers. When it does the pre-restart and post-restart update sequences you can't run do anything else.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Interesting question.

I’m totally old school. NOTHING is going on when I update (except the App Store software updater.) All running apps closed. All updates preceded by current Time Machine backup as well as freshly cloned (and tested) boot drive, boot to recovery partition and Disk Utility verification. 

• Reply 11 of 14
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I’m totally old school. NOTHING is going on when I update (except the App Store software updater.) All running apps closed. All updates preceded by current Time Machine backup as well as freshly cloned (and tested) boot drive, boot to recovery partition and Disk Utility verification. 

Very thorough and probably very wise. I happily leave stuff running, unless it's an OS update.

iTunes seems to have fixed watched tags. I used to have a handful that reverted to half-watched every time I signed out and in; they're all watched now.

I've had a funny bug where my plays get reset on several tracks. I hope that's fixed.

Come on iTunes Radio! There was a second sneak preview here in UK this weekend, but still no go.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I do, if you mean using Software Updater to download the update from Apple's servers. When it does the pre-restart and post-restart update sequences you can't run do anything else.

The software updater is understandable, as it generally has to be left open.

I've always done any kind of updates on their own, with as little as possible (or nothing) running in the background. In my entire history of Mac use, over a four year period, and four operating systems, I have encountered exactly one issue with an iTunes update (which you promptly assisted me with! Thank you!)

This is a little lesson I learned coming from the horrific Windows side of the industry, not to mention from a time where hardware was not as 'capable'.

It still appears to serve me well to this day.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Not needed anymore now that I'm on the Mac, but I still get the urge to constantly save my file -while it's still a work in progress- simply because I was used to get a blue screen...out of the blue.

And Internet Explorer that came with [I]Microsoft Plus![/I] was named Internet Exploder as v1 always used to explode on my screen.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gtr wrote: »
    The software updater is understandable, as it generally has to be left open.

I've always done any kind of updates on their own, with as little as possible (or nothing) running in the background. In my entire history of Mac use, over a four year period, and four operating systems, I have encountered exactly one issue with an iTunes update (which you promptly assisted me with! Thank you!)

This is a little lesson I learned coming from the horrific Windows side of the industry, not to mention from a time where hardware was not as 'capable'.

It still appears to serve me well to this day.

I'm all for being cautious but I don't think that level of care is needed for the updates (even on Windows). Apple seems to do enough checks to make sure the packages are sound before continuing to the next stage. The only issues I've seen are when the disk has some file system issue. I will often check to make sure that checks out before doing an update..