Amazon reportedly looking into music streaming service for Prime members

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Amazon recently initiated discussions with major music labels in an effort to kickstart a streaming service for its paying Prime members, one report says, possibly signaling the entry of yet another service into the crowded Internet radio space.

Amazon

Citing sources within the music industry, re/code reports Amazon has stepped up negotiations with major labels in what appears to be a legitimate play at the music streaming market.

Amazon may be a long way from launching such a service, however, as at least one person familiar with the talks says the Internet retail giant is nowhere near a definitive deal.

As with other Amazon ventures, the company is said to be seeking low fees on merchandise, in this case songs, that represents a substantial discount when compared to pricing offered to competing services.

According to the publication, Amazon will likely mete out the music content to Prime members in much the same way as it handles videos. Currently, the company offers certain free movies to customers who pay the $79-per year Prime membership fee, which is mainly used for free two-day shipping and other perks.

If Amazon does enter the streaming music fray, it will contend with other well-developed subscription services like Spotify and Beats Music. Apple, too, is in the mix with iTunes Radio, a free-to-use service that removes ads with an iTunes Match subscription.

Unlike the usual players, however, Amazon's rumored service would be a value-added feature to Prime, not a standalone product. It is unclear how the model would play out considering the number of Prime members who are unaware of the current free video cache supplied as part of their subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Wall Street will love and reward this amazing innovative leap! - Blah Blah Blah

• Reply 2 of 14
    The iTunes Radio ad-free model stinks. It's only ad-free if Match is enabled on the device at the time, which therefore forces you to choose between deleting all your locally stored music and listening to Radio. I don't see why this matters, they've already got my money regardless of whether I'm actually using the service at any given time.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Don't even make sense! Just transfer all your music to iTunes and sync it over wifi with iTunes Match. Once your music is downloaded to your phone is like you always had it there.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The iTunes Radio ad-free model stinks. It's only ad-free if Match is enabled on the device at the time, which therefore forces you to choose between deleting all your locally stored music and listening to Radio.
    Huh? Delete locally stored music? I can have match enabled and choose to see everything on iCloud or not. No need to delete anything. Can you elaborate?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Guti2068 View Post

Don't even make sense! Just transfer all your music to iTunes and sync it over wifi with iTunes Match. Once your music is downloaded to your phone is like you always had it there.

Does not work for me, because my daughters and I have different iTunes libraries, but share a pandora account.   iTunes match means that everybody but one person loses their music.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Does not work for me, because my daughters and I have different iTunes libraries, but share a pandora account.   iTunes match means that everybody but one person loses their music.

Too afraid to give your daughters a separate iTunes account?

• Reply 7 of 14
    Well in that case keep pandora. iTunes Match works for me because I'm the only one with the account, that's why it sounded weird to me. I've been using iTunes Match since before iTunes Radio so the ad-free feature was a bonus to me since I was already a subscriber.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I like iTunes Radio and got Match for the ad-free-ness.

But what's with the incessant "You're listening to iTunes Radio" things. Mostly once, but sometimes more. Even six and seven times !! WTF
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I guess it's a nice bonus for people that use their Prime service, it's just added value. I've been considering getting a subscription but I'm not sure if I'd get enough use out of it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Amazon better hope their negotiations don't fall under the delusional Judge Cote's new take on the Sherman Act and mixed up conspiracy theories, but somehow I don't think it's ever going to happen.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    msnbc, amazon now has music its amazing, stock goes up 50% and 1,000,000. p/e
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Too afraid to give your daughters a separate iTunes account?

We have separate iTunes accounts, read my post again more carefully. With pandora we all pay once, with iTunes Match we have to pay 5 times or else have one shared iTunes library.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

We have separate iTunes accounts, read my post again more carefully. With pandora we all pay once, with iTunes Match we have to pay 5 times or else have one shared iTunes library.

Not being able to share Apps must cost a lot.

• Reply 14 of 14
    hill60 wrote: »
    Not being able to share Apps must cost a lot.

Not really, we seem to be able to authenticate multiple iTunes accounts per device. So for apps we all use, I buy them and everybody uses my login for that one thing. Kind of a little cumbersome but it works ok.