Apple issues OS X Server 3.1 Preview beta with added supervised devices support

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
Apple on Monday released a new version of the upcoming OS X 3.1 Server update, with changes limited to general bug fixes and performance improvements.

OS X Server 3.1

According to people who have seen the latest OS X Server 3.1 Preview build 13S4122, the beta is much the same as the last release, which brought bug fixes to Server and Profile Manager.

As for Profile Manager, the latest build brings new "My Devices" portal access restrictions and device enrollment restrictions available on Users and Groups, as well as a feature that automatically retrieves an Activation Lock Bypass Code on enrollment of supervised devices.

The addition looks to be aimed at integration with Apple's new mass iOS device deployment management program, which the company revealed in an update to its website at the end of February.

Known issues include an issue where Profile Manager will stop working after an upgrade or migration from OS X Server 2.x. According to Apple, the problem does not affect upgrades or migration from OS X Server 3.0 or later.

Developers can download OS X Server 3.1 Preview build 12S4122 via Software Update or Apple's developer webpage. To test the software, developers must be running OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, which was released last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    This is very good, Apple has noticed that larger enterprises and educational institutions can benefit from its many innovative technolgies, and is making a major effort to court these larger organizations with its profile-based management solutions. I expect that by OS X Server 4.0, Open Directory will be removed and will be replaced with profile-based management, clearing the last hurdle to mass adoption of OS X and iOS-based devices by enterprise clients. This has been many years in the making, but it is well worth it. The IT landscape is changed forever!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Now all they need is proper hardware to install this on. Not everything can run off a mac mini and its not always practical installing an iMac or something like that. 

• Reply 3 of 10
    MacXpress, I have a feeling that you are 100% correct, and that Apple will indeed release new enterprise hardware to succeed the XServe. You are right, it boggles the mind to think that an enterprise server can run off of a Mac Mini.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post

MacXpress, I have a feeling that you are 100% correct, and that Apple will indeed release new enterprise hardware to succeed the XServe. You are right, it boggles the mind to think that an enterprise server can run off of a Mac Mini.

I hope so...to me its a little embarrassing to say Apple's only server is basically a consumer mac mini with a Core i7. This is good for a few devices, but once you start getting up into quite a bit devices and Macs it will start to bog down depending on what services are running and what the devices/macs are using. 

To be honest, Apple really needs to take their entire enterprise stuff to the next level. Remote Desktop is a completely disaster and doesn't work very well anymore. Server still needs work, but I see good improvement with Server 3. Many of these companies and schools don't use any Apple enterprise tools because they simply suck too much. If they really want to be a player in the enterprise space, they should really invest in software engineers to fix and build better software. This is what Apple does best but on the enterprise end it really sucks. 

• Reply 5 of 10
    It does look like Apple is re-engineering its enterprise software. The company created a new IT-centered Web site where devices can be enrolled and certificates can be granted so that software can be installed through the Volume Purchasing Program. New MDM features are going to be released with iOS 7.1, and it appears that the same features may be included with OS X Server 3.1.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I would really like them to release a brand new version of Remote Desktop has more features and support for Mac and iOS clients. The old version needs to be scrapped and rewritten from the ground up. It's extremely buggy and right now not very useful beyond observing clients.
  • Reply 7 of 10

Yes, it would be good for Apple to release a more modern full-featured Remote Desktop application.  But I think Profile Manager in OS X Server might be taking on some of this functionality.  Software can now be installed through Profile Manager, and client settings can also be created and updated.  So it may be that Apple is building out the features of Remote Desktop in other ways.  Anyhow, you are right, Apple should release a new version of Remote Desktop that makes it easier to remotely manage OS X and iOS devices in networks large and small.

• Reply 8 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

You all have a lot of faith in Server.  Version 3.0.3 is still a bug ridden disaster.  It took them months to address the VPN issues, Profile Manager is still broken for the last ~ 4(?) months.  The current OD is about as stable as a drunken 85 year old woman walking on ice, in slippers.

The original thinking behind the Server app was to have it replace Workgroup Manager.  Three versions later Workgroup Manager is still required because the Server App is garbage.

Others have mentioned hardware, I'd agree it would be nice to have something to replace the XSERVE, but the Mini's do a nice job for a small to medium business WHEN the software decides to work properly.  Personally it doesn't matter what hardware you have if there isn't reliable software to run on it.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

You all have a lot of faith in Server.  Version 3.0.3 is still a bug ridden disaster.  It took them months to address the VPN issues, Profile Manager is still broken for the last ~ 4(?) months.  The current OD is about as stable as a drunken 85 year old woman walking on ice, in slippers.

The original thinking behind the Server app was to have it replace Workgroup Manager.  Three versions later Workgroup Manager is still required because the Server App is garbage.

Others have mentioned hardware, I'd agree it would be nice to have something to replace the XSERVE, but the Mini's do a nice job for a small to medium business WHEN the software decides to work properly.  Personally it doesn't matter what hardware you have if there isn't reliable software to run on it.

The thing though is that technically you're not supposed to use MCX with 10.9 clients. I've ran into some issues when doing there where mcx settings don't push out like they're supposed to. Workgroup Manager has been deprecated since 10.8 and really now in 10.9. So if you have new clients that can't take anything other than 10.9 you're screwed and have to use Profile Manager unless you're lucky and mcx is working for you. 

I have yet to try Server 3.0 as I don't want to upgrade my servers in the middle of the school year. I will though be upgrading them to 10.9 this summer so I'll be migrating everything over to Profile Manager from Workgroup Manager. 

I do agree though about Profile Manager. I've never really been happy with its use and always resorted to Workgroup Manager because it "simply works". Also, profile manager was missing some features workgroup manager had, specifically authenticated network shares. This is a must for me as some users get different windows shares mapped upon login and I don't want them getting prompted for their password every time they log in, especially students. I would also have issues where it would work, and then all of a sudden it would stop pushing things. Apple solution was to wipe the server and start over. I hope PM has improved over this. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Actually they brought it back for one more go around, I'm running it now.  I needed it because that was they only way I could get the Mobile Home folders to sync properly.  The rules I set in Profile Manager were being completely ignored.  Since 3.0.2 I can't even create/edit the a folder path in the rules.