Using iPhoto with unsupported cameras?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to get iPhoto to work with an unsupported camera? I have a canon powershot s200 and it doesn't seem to work. The separate photo transfer program with OSX.1 doesn't work with it either. I thought they would both work since the S100, S110 and S300 work. Why is the S200 so different?

Thanks for any help. BTW, I love the camera and it will print 12x18 inch prints beautiful on a Kodak DLS system, even though it only has a 2.0 MP sensor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by MasterZeus:

<strong>Does anyone know how to get iPhoto to work with an unsupported camera? I have a canon powershot s200 and it doesn't seem to work. The separate photo transfer program with OSX.1 doesn't work with it either. I thought they would both work since the S100, S110 and S300 work. Why is the S200 so different?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not much different, and it *will* work with a small hack. I added support for my S330 this way. Don't worry, it's easy to do...

In the terminal, just type:

[code]cd /System/Library/Image\\ Capture/Devices/Type4Camera.app/Contents</pre><hr></blockquote>[code]sudo pico Info.plist</pre><hr></blockquote>

Scroll down and you'll see a whole lot of entries for different product/vendors. Plug in your camera, turn it on, and find out what the product ID is in Apple System Profiler. I think it's 3065.

All you need to do is create another entry:

[code]&lt;dict&gt;

&lt;key&gt;product&lt;/key&gt;

&lt;string&gt;0x3065&lt;/string&gt;

&lt;key&gt;vendor&lt;/key&gt;

&lt;string&gt;0x04A9&lt;/string&gt;

&lt;/dict&gt;</pre><hr></blockquote>

Now save (just follow pico's directions) and restart. The Canon PowerShot S200 should work.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kishbakishba Posts: 2member
    can you confirm for sure that this works with the s200? i am about 1 day from buying the camera and want to be completely sure it works with iPhoto before purchasing from Amazon

thanks in advance...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yeah, a couple of folks on the iPhoto Apple Discussion board have done it. And I've done it with the S330.

Also, 10.1.5 should add support for these cameras anyway, but I'm not sure...

BTW, You can get the S200 for $318.10 shipped from Dell.com.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    Thanks so much. I actually found that thread on apple discussion too, last night. I did it and it does indeed work perfectly. kishba, get the camera and do the hack and you will be very happy with it. Thats a really good price at dell.com. I paid about $325 and $20 shipping at buydig.com. The memory card is only 8MB which is very small ( only about 15 pictures at factory settings ). You can get a 64 MB card from newegg.com for only about $30.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Sweet. Does this hack work with any other cameras out there? My dad has an Epson (not sure of the model # though) that I routinely borrow. But I have to use it on my PC to download the images, and would love to be able to use it directly with iPhoto...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    No other Epson cameras are supported under iPhoto so I doubt you could use this type of 'hack' to add support for it. Since the two new Canon Digital Elphs are basically the same as the old ones, support already existed for these cameras.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks a bunch.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Old S200 deal gone...new one better.

[quote]Get $40 off a $300+ purchase from Dell Home`s Software and Peripheral site.Â* Use code: B8EB1531596A for the discount.Â* Expires very soon, Monday 6/3/02.Â* Since shipping is 1/2 price right now and there`s no tax for most people, there are some pretty good deals to be had.Â* DELLHOME

*Get the Canon S200 2.1 megapixel Digital Elph camera for $309.00 after discount.Â* Search for: A0009084<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    This is probably farfetched, but would a hack such as this add support in iTunes for unsupported CD-R and CD-RW drives, or are there other technical obstacles to overcome there?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Stroszek...Indeed, there are several hacked iTunes drive support plugins floating around for various drives. I would check xlr8yourmac's news archives for information.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    rockin' Eugene, thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    <a href="http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-response=list.faq.lasso&amp;-database=faq.fp3&amp;-layout=FaqList&amp;Faq_Category=CDROMs and CDRs %20&-sortfield=DateSubmitted&-Sortorder=descending&-maxrecords=100&okaytopost=yes&-search" target="_blank">I found a bunch.</a>