I'm also looking for digicam advice

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know there is already a thread here on digital camera advice, but I didn't want to clutter the thread with my question. I am looking for a much more low-end camera than the other topic was asking anyway.

I want a 2 MP digital camera that's easy to use, has pretty good image quality, and costs less than $350 (preferably less than $300 but I can handle up to about $350). I looked on dpreview.com and their search for digital cameras based on certain criteria is terrible (I got no results for a camera under $400 with 1600x1200 resolution or greater and a built in flash, even though I know there are many like that). So I read a review of the Nikon Coolpix 2500, the blue and gray swiveling one. They apparently liked it, and it looks like a good deal at $330. Are there any other cameras that I should be considering?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    There are an abundance of cameras you could choose from.

Canon:

PowerShot A20

PowerShot Digital Elph S200

PowerShot Digital Elph S330

Olympus:

D-520

C-2040

Nikon:

CoolPix 2500

CoolPix 775

Sony:

DSC-P51

DSC-P2

et cetera...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Canon:

PowerShot A20</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the newer PowerShot A40 (2MP like the A20), which is dirt-cheap these days.

After a year with my A20, I'm staring to crave a digital SLR. I want analog dials and knobs for tactile feedback, not tiny buttons and LCD screens. Too bad my budget needs to pay for a new kitchen and laser printer first.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    PS: Check <a href="http://www.MySimon.com"; target="_blank">www.MySimon.com</a> for pricing info. You can get a Canon PowerShot A40 for about $250 now. Excellent deal compared to the $350 I paid for my A20 just a year ago.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    heh, I meant A40...weird...since the A20 is probably going to be discontinued real soon. The only discontinued camera on my list is the Olympus C-2040...but it's probably the best 2 mpixel camera on that list...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    [blatant plug for my company]

Don't forget all the Kodak cameras:

DX3500, DX3600, DX3700, and DX3900 all have flashes, 2.2MP+ sensors, are between $199-349, have Kodak's "lengendary color science" technology, are easy to use, etc.

[/blatant plug for my company]

You may have noticed from my other thread that I bought a Canon S200. Well the reason is very simple: Kodak does not make a super small, super light camera with an optical zoom. I wish they did. The LS450 is good, but no optical zoom means I bought a canon.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: MasterZeus ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    You MIGHT be able to get a really good deal and find an Olympus C-700 UltraZoom for $350. That's what I've got and am extremely happy with it.

The only camera anywhere near that size with a 10X Optical zoom or even close as far as I can tell. The battery life on it is amazing too. (Briefly had a Minolta Dimage 5, which has to have the absolute worst battery life of any camera on the market).

P.S. Man I love EXIF data!!! It's so awesome having all your camera settings stored with your pics. One of the biggest advantages of digital cams, IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by naepstn:

<strong>P.S. Man I love EXIF data!!! It's so awesome having all your camera settings stored with your pics. One of the biggest advantages of digital cams, IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

APS ( Advantix, IX240, etc. ) film also stores this data depending on the camera. It works really well if a picture is front lit or back lit too much.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MasterZeus:

<strong>

APS ( Advantix, IX240, etc. ) film also stores this data depending on the camera. It works really well if a picture is front lit or back lit too much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any opinions of the Toshiba PDR-M71, it is being discounted here in Canada (&lt;$350US)and looks to be a great deal. You have all kinds of manual controls as well as fully automatic mode, its 3MP i believe. Worth a look anyways. I read some good reviews of it praising its manual abilities for a digital camera in its $$-range.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    scott2scott2 Posts: 39member
    Found a Kodak DC3400 (older model but iPhoto compliant) at the local supermarket for about half price. I like Kodaks for their rugged and user friendly (ie idiot proof) design.

May I suggest that you save some of your budget for more memory, manufacturers usually give you a minimal amount.

For the DC3400 I also bought extra rechargable batteries (standard AA); the flash uses them up at a pretty good clip.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    My school is looking for a good all around digital camera that is

1.) easy to use

2.) good quality

3.) relatively affordable (400-600 max probably)

But it also must take good action shots.

Currently, I use an Epson 850Z and the photos it takes look amazing to me. I don't manually adjust anything and its near impossible to get a bad picture. It also takes actions shots quite well for me but it could snap faster and save faster.

any help would be great and appreciated
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Applenut, I'd say Sony DSC-S75 or Olympus C-3040, with the former being cheaper and probably the better bet.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I went to Best Buy today and I looked at some digital cameras, including the Coolpix 2500 and the PowerShot S200. That Canon S200 is tiny! and it has a larger screen than the Coolpix 2500 (or maybe it just looks comparatively larger because of the small size of the entire unit). I like the S200 but I'll have to read some in-depth reviews (and at least two per camera) before I go for anything. I have plenty of time to make my decision.

Of course, the guy at Best Buy went into "salesman mode" really quick, even though I dropped numerous hints that I wouldn't be getting a digicam anytime soon. I asked about an Olympus camera at $200 and he vaguely said that he wouldn't recommend it because it has fewer features (at least he specifically mentioned no optical zoom) and wouldn't take as good pictures. Hmm, I won't buy from Best Buy anyway because they don't have the best buys out there... and they don't have Apple stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    nevermind

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>My school is looking for a good all around digital camera that is

1.) easy to use

2.) good quality

3.) relatively affordable (400-600 max probably)

But it also must take good action shots.

Currently, I use an Epson 850Z and the photos it takes look amazing to me. I don't manually adjust anything and its near impossible to get a bad picture. It also takes actions shots quite well for me but it could snap faster and save faster.

any help would be great and appreciated</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check out the Canon S30 or S40.

They take excellent quality pictures, and have a lot of features.

Kind of pricey, but definitely within that price range.

I have the S40. It has the same CCD as the higher priced G2.

You can check out reviews at dpreview.com.