Construction of Apple's new San Francisco flagship store gets final go ahead

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Apple has been given final approval to start its San Francisco flagship store project, which will involve the demolition of a standing building, surrounding environment renovations and construction of a building adhering to a new design style.

In a recent hearing, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors signed off on a planning code variance, one of the final steps in a lengthy approval process to build the upcoming Union Square Apple Store, reports ifo Apple Store.

City supervisors were called in to settle Apple's latest planning code amendments after the SF Planning Commission could not agree on an approval in February.

As previously reported, the new flagship will feature an all-new design theme that takes Apple Stores' "open" feel to another level. The main attraction will be a two story-tall glass facade facing Union Square, allowing passersby a good look inside the store from distance. The building itself will feature a cantilevered design that moves from Post Street to a plaza with waterfall feature in back.

The latest submitted renderings show two giant operable 44-foot-tall steel-framed sliding glass doors, as seen above. When closed, the each door forms one of the facade's six panels, which opens to a four-panel arrangement when open.

Apple's project has seen a number of changes since being announced in 2013. The build sparked a minor controversy when it was discovered Apple's original plans called for the apparent removal of a fountain designed by local artist Ruth Asawa. The sculpture, which tells the history of San Francisco in 41 plaques made of baker's dough cast in bronze, dates back to 1973.

Subsequent plans included concessions to move the "folk art" sculpture ten feet into the plaza, assuaging concerns that the historical piece would be destroyed.

Following a second vote on the amendments next week, the mayor must approve the final proposal before construction begins. The store could open by spring 2015 if demolition begins immediately, the publication said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    If they "accidentally" drop a wrecking ball on that fountain, no love lost for me. Most people don't even know it's ever been there.

I do look forward to the store being there. It will give that neglected corner a new life and open it up more. It's been mainly a gathering place for panhandlers, and loiterers. They can't finish it soon enough!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    What I love most about the architectural style of these Apple stores, is that they will be the perfect place for displaying Apple's "Personal Hover Transport Vehicles" when the time is right.
    They'll look gorgeous in there.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Don't you mean construction [I]barges ahead[/I]??? :lol: Oh wait, Apple gets proper permits before construction :)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

A few months from now:

Protected California fountain stolen from Apple construction site; nowhere to be found

• Reply 5 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A few months from now:

Or Perhaps:

Thieves break into new Apple flagship store by rolling unwanted fountain into hangar doors.

It could happen... in my case.. I hope it happens. :)

• Reply 6 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Personally, I find it a shame that most of the world will judge Ruth Asawa's based on the San Francisco fountain in front of the Grand Hyatt Hotel (the future Apple Store site); I don't find it to be one of her better works.

As a matter of fact, I don't care much for her representational art, which most of her public commissions are. The abstract, origami-like Nihonmachi fountain in San Francisco's Japantown district is far more beautiful than the Grand Hyatt hot tub.

Her crocheted wire and tied wire sculpture work is fantastic though; the De Young Museum has multiple examples of these, her non-representational art is far superior to stuff like the mermaid sculpture or the Grand Hyatt fountain.

Oh well...

• Reply 7 of 10
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

That fountain is the ugliest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.  All it is good for is homeless people taking showers in it.  It is disgusting.  Nothing like that belongs anywhere near an Apple store.  

The Apple building, on the other hand, is beautiful.  I wish thjat all new buildings were built like the Apple stores.  They are clean and sleek and they have no ornamentation whatsoever.  They look like the future if Apple were in charge.

• Reply 8 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sflocal wrote: »
    If they "accidentally" drop a wrecking ball on that fountain, no love lost for me. Most people don't even know it's ever been there.

I do look forward to the store being there. It will give that neglected corner a new life and open it up more. It's been mainly a gathering place for panhandlers, and loiterers. They can't finish it soon enough!

Just get Tyler Durden and his 'Project Mayhem' lackeys to destroy it. :lol:
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Personally, I find it a shame that most of the world will judge Ruth Asawa's based on the San Francisco fountain in front of the Grand Hyatt Hotel (the future Apple Store site); I don't find it to be one of her better works.

As a matter of fact, I don't care much for her representational art, which most of her public commissions are. The abstract, origami-like Nihonmachi fountain in San Francisco's Japantown district is far more beautiful than the Grand Hyatt hot tub.

Her crocheted wire and tied wire sculpture work is fantastic though; the De Young Museum has multiple examples of these, her non-representational art is far superior to stuff like the mermaid sculpture or the Grand Hyatt fountain.

Oh well...

Thank you for posting this - I had no idea what the big deal was because I didn't realize what her other works are.  The fountain, as anyone who has actually seen it will attest to, is just a mess.  The wire sculptures at the deYoung, however, are fascinating, intricate and beautiful.  They did a larger show with her extended work several years back that was excellent.  Just goes to show that people, and artists in particular, can't have hits all the time.

• Reply 10 of 10
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

That fountain is the ugliest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.  All it is good for is homeless people taking showers in it.  It is disgusting.  Nothing like that belongs anywhere near an Apple store.  

The Apple building, on the other hand, is beautiful.  I wish thjat all new buildings were built like the Apple stores.  They are clean and sleek and they have no ornamentation whatsoever.  They look like the future if Apple were in charge.

You, literally, sound like a Nazi.